StoneJaguar What is this tree?

Discuss any and all issues that don't fit neatly into one of our other forum sections.
Stan
Ready to Bolt
USDA Zone: 10a

StoneJaguar What is this tree?

Post by Stan »

One of my popular Google visits is the State of Parana in Brazil. I like seeing what grows here- reaching huge sizes there. P.selloum climbing a Monkey Puzzle for 25' for example.
SO whats this large purple blooming tree?
https://www.google.com/maps/@-25.417244 ... 6656?hl=en" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Hayward Ca. 75-80f summers,60f winters.
Stone Jaguar
Ready to Bolt

Re: StoneJaguar What is this tree?

Post by Stone Jaguar »

Dunno, but have seen some exceptional guiacums that resemble this. The multiple trunks are probably a good diagnostic. Very beautiful. There is also Tabebuia that has flowers that color, but habit quite different.
Spination
Ready to Bolt

Post by Spination »

I had a Tabebuia avellanedae (Pink Trumpet tree) for several years while I babied it until it was too big for the greenhouse. First winter outside did it in. It was more than annoying, given the trouble I went through to find one. Anyway, I don't believe that's what it is in the picture. Tabebuia is a canopy tree in the rainforest, and coveted for it's bark, making a product called Pau D'Arco used as a tea, with purported anti-cancer and anti-bacterial properties.
Stone Jaguar
Ready to Bolt

Post by Stone Jaguar »

Spiney,

Tabebuias include a vast array of trees, many from TDF, and certainly not all canopy trees. There are several that have great timber, including T. donnell-smithii, which I grew by the thousands in an agroforestry project. Flower colors range from pure white (some of the pinks have alba forms) to almost black-purple. They occur from near the US - Mexican border to Argentina. Lots of cool climate forms...certainly spp that can handle jacaranda climates. The sp. I was refering to is a TDF sp that occurs together with Guiacum and is also known locally as Guayacan even though not related. I am unaware of any tabebuias that are shrubby unless repetitively weed-whacked in youth.

In any case, agree that it's something else.
Epiphyte
Offset

Post by Epiphyte »

My best guess is Tibouchina granulosa (Quaresmeira).
Stan
Ready to Bolt
USDA Zone: 10a

Post by Stan »

Ooo. I think that's it Epiphyte. Why isnt it seen here?
Hayward Ca. 75-80f summers,60f winters.