DON’T Let it snow, let it snow, let it snow

Discuss any and all issues that don't fit neatly into one of our other forum sections.
Agave_fan
Ready to Bolt

DON’T Let it snow, let it snow, let it snow

Post by Agave_fan »

Some of you might know that I had a huge landscaping project this past year and part of that project was putting in some really big planters to allow me to enjoy some cactus and succulents that don’t particularly like my 8b zone.

Knowing that these large containers could not be moved with a typically dolly, I contracted with a company in Az to custom build a hand truck with a very large nose plate and all terrain wheels that could support 800lbs and transport these large containers through granite.

The story would have had a happy ending had the company not developed major production issues of some sort (supposedly) and the owner hadn't started ignoring everyone he took orders and money from in the last two months while continuing to solicit additional sales.

I could not get the company to reply to any voicemails or emails regarding where my rush order was which was paid in full and which should have arrived a month ago so knowing I had cold temperatures moving in, I ordered the largest dolly I could find on the quickest shipping I could get, hoping to move a few of the smaller containers. This quick purchase dolly had a delivery date of Thursday (yesterday) and the cold was hitting early the next (today) morning. As luck would have it, the cold forecasted earlier this week to hit a low of 39 on Friday was amended yesterday down to the mid to upper 20s late Thursday/early Friday.

Continuing with my horrendous luck, the delivery date on the dolly in transit yesterday suddenly changed to being delivered Friday rather than Thursday so I ran around last night digging a few plants out of the large containers that could be removed quickly/safely and trying to cover the rest. This meant I had to use all my frost blankets and burlap on containers rather than the in-ground plants that supposedly can handle the zone but I like to give extra protection to during cold spells.

I have no idea how many plants I will lose but a positive note is that the snow last night was pretty?

Here are a couple of my in-ground plants (afraid to look in the containers) as of an hour or so ago.

One of my blue glows still glowing:
blue glow agave.jpg
blue glow agave.jpg (104.29 KiB) Viewed 838 times
I sure hope that Yucca Do was right about manfreda guttata being a hardy plant. They had this listed as zone 8 and Plants Delights has it listed as zone 7b and while I understand that zones are only a rough guideline and do not mean all that much when it comes to extremes, I am hoping the colder zones suggestions for this plant might give it a little more of a fighting chance during my fluky weather?
manfreda guttata.jpg
manfreda guttata.jpg (113.49 KiB) Viewed 838 times
Gee.S
Site Admin
USDA Zone: 9b

Re: DON’T Let it snow, let it snow, let it snow

Post by Gee.S »

Yikes! Good luck!
Agave
"American aloe plant," 1797, from Greek Agaue, proper name in mythology (mother of Pentheus), from agauos "noble," perhaps from agasthai "wonder at".

"Some talk the talk, others walk the walk, but I stalk the stalk"
Spination
Ready to Bolt

Post by Spination »

Ditto.

If it was me, for whatever good it would do, I'd be covering stuff up with old sheets, and covering that with clear plastic. It does help, and it could prevent some loss.
Agave_fan
Ready to Bolt

Post by Agave_fan »

The ditto didn't apply to the yikes too did it Spiny? ;)

I did use all the extra blankets and sheets I had but unfortunately, I had a lot more plants than covers. :frown:

This is the first time I remember seeing snow (maybe once before) in the ten years I have lived here.

Thanks for the suggestions, I did not know about the plastic but I will run out and get some as it makes sense. Any suggestions on where to find bulk plastic?
Spination
Ready to Bolt

Post by Spination »

A source for cheap, useful sheets and blankets is something like a Goodwill store. For what they're going to be used for, the price is right! I buy plastic yearly at the local hardware/garden center in bulk rolls. This is the time of year they stock it, and usually deal prices. The cloth is for some insulation, and the plastic to keep them dry, which makes a big difference. A wet blanket doesn't really do all that much good... ::wink::

PS - the plastic I get is usually 10 feet wide, and can be up to 100 feet long, depending on the roll. With some wood poked into pots here and there, quick and easy makeshift "tents" can be constructed. I usually also huddle nearby pots together so I don't have to move them too far, and I get more bang for the materials on hand to cover a bunch of plants all together...
Stan
Ready to Bolt
USDA Zone: 10a

Post by Stan »

We're are having a very mild winter..mid to upper 60's and sunny. I see Accuweather calls that for the month of December. If its extra warm here..its going to be extra cold in the east.

What you could have tried Agave fan is...extension cables and lots of lightbulbs to heat the plants. Cover and heat. Easier then moving the big plants. Tent them with any plastic and tall sticks. I did that for a 4 day cold period about 4 years ago. My Mango did perfect when my uncovered Aloe dorothea melted.
Hayward Ca. 75-80f summers,60f winters.
Agave_fan
Ready to Bolt

Post by Agave_fan »

Thanks for all the tips, I will definitely go on a plastic search and Goodwill run for more sheets and blankets.

Funny you mention lights Stan, I was seriously contemplating running in and grabbing all the lights off my Christmas tree and throwing them on my dioons but then realized the 'cool' mini lights I use probably would not do much good. :frown:

As far as running extensions and lights, I have far too many containers spread out all over and with my luck, I would have caused a fire with using lightbulbs that produce heat and attempting to cover them. The wind was fairly significant last night too where I had to weigh down all the blankets and sheets I used with heavy rocks. Had the hand truck come in when it was supposed to, none of the planters would have been an issue and I could have focused on saving some of the in-ground plants that needed some extra support.

And to be honest, the plants in the ground were planted with a survival of the fittest attitude. The only issue with this is, I didn't expect it to be this cold and definitely not this soon. Our coldest months are January and February where we average 60 degrees. I was hoping to give them a year acclimation before having to deal with this sort of extreme cold but Mother Nature did not cooperate.

I will go in search of extra supplies to guard against future bad cold spells and will try to look on the bright side which is.... if plants do die, I get to buy more? i definitely won't repeat the mistake of purchasing the same plant but something hardier in case of fluke weather.
Gee.S
Site Admin
USDA Zone: 9b

Post by Gee.S »

Corrugated boxes also provide excellent insulation. The kind if boxes you can get for free from USPS. Of course these are small boxes, so only good for small plants.
Agave
"American aloe plant," 1797, from Greek Agaue, proper name in mythology (mother of Pentheus), from agauos "noble," perhaps from agasthai "wonder at".

"Some talk the talk, others walk the walk, but I stalk the stalk"
Azuleja
Ready to Bolt

Post by Azuleja »

Good luck! I hope they'll come through or at worst suffer damage they can grow out of. Yes, they do look pretty though.