Cold?

Discuss any and all issues that don't fit neatly into one of our other forum sections.
Spination
Ready to Bolt

Re: Cold?

Post by Spination »

MITS - see my reply to your question above added on to my last post above...
Stan
Ready to Bolt
USDA Zone: 10a

Post by Stan »

I actually lost one A.ferox to rot last year..but the other is doing well after being moved out of that spot that in winter stays cooler and shadier-in summer that very same spot is one of the hottest parts of the property. Low sun in winter keeps it too wet.

Aloe marlothii did fine there. So,its proven that A.ferox isnt up to the same tuffness as A.marlothi.
Hayward Ca. 75-80f summers,60f winters.
Spination
Ready to Bolt

Post by Spination »

In ground, not sure how you can know exactly what's going on underground in terms of water retention (for probably cause of rot). Are we comparing the exact same spot, the exact same drainage, the exact same amount of precipitation? Also, you're talking about rot, and I'm speaking to cold hardiness. In the case of my potted plants - conditions were indeed identical. Each pot drains the same - each were shielded with plastic when it was raining incessantly, and both covered with cloth when it was freezing overnight. My potted marlothii couldn't take what my potted ferox were able to handle.
Melt in the Sun
Ready to Bolt
USDA Zone: 9b

Post by Melt in the Sun »

Heat killed my marlothii while ferox seemed to breeze through it. My A. ferox is tougher to heat, cold, and sun...it still burns a little every summer, but not like marlothii which never really looked nice - always outgrowing last year's damage. Maybe marlothii is better in always-coolish Hayward, but not here in my experience.

I'll send a PM about the ferox...
Stan
Ready to Bolt

Post by Stan »

Could be A. marlothii is cool and wet happy. I have seen A.ferox around town-posted them. But they are in full sun yards. Typical conditions. 50f right now at 10:30. Decent.
Azuleja
Ready to Bolt

Post by Azuleja »

My Aloe marlothii took a little damage too, but not a lot. I should have covered it but I guess I just wanted to see what would happen. The big Aloe Pink Blush that was partially melted is now completely melted. A few in more protected spots look okay. Aloe Minnie Belle looked fine yesterday. Today, not so much. I'll have to double check Aloe capitata var quartziticola but it looks acceptable. Some damage on young Agave macroacantha and Agave Blue Flame. Dyckia and Dyckcohnia all look pretty good. I'll know more in a few days. All in all I'm really happy about how things did. Mexicola avocado looks perfect.
Melt in the Sun
Ready to Bolt

Post by Melt in the Sun »

My capitatas (gneissicola and quartziticola) look fine, neither got covered last night. Minibelle froze for me last year while a bell pepper survived...decided not to try that one again :)
Stan
Ready to Bolt

Post by Stan »

My most tender is Aloe cameronii, its good. January might have the worst night this year for me..
Spination
Ready to Bolt

Post by Spination »

Very happy to have made it through Thursday's overnight low of 29, especially since the freeze zone came on earlier in the night in the wee hours. Not seeing any casualties, but it might be too early to tell. Last night was sufficiently warmer, and finally dropped as low as 34 before first light - no problem. I didn't even bother with a bonfire - although the night before I was out there for 2 hours from 1 AM feeding 3 of them! :lol: Looks like more of the same just around mid 30 for the next days to come which suits me just fine. I think some clouds rolled in overnight which made all the difference, and kept the lows enough above the prediction of both sources I'm using now. Finally - they were off in the "right" direction! Cool... I mean... good. :))
Spination
Ready to Bolt

Post by Spination »

Another freeze overnight - finally hitting 32 before the sun rising. A bit annoying because forecasts showed something at least several degrees higher. Also, got faked out by the cloud cover yesterday and last night, which made a hasty exit during the night. Did not cover my blooming Aloe arborescens last night, so will have to wait and see if the developing inflorescence does the limp-over bow-down prelude to death in the hours to come, or if it holds up strong... Once again, the best of it was the freezing threshold was only achieved towards the end, so hopefully it's OK.
Stan
Ready to Bolt

Post by Stan »

44f here. I dont bother running the heater all night so,the house gets a bit of a chill..when we are up,it goes on. Still,right now I opened up the front door and the porch feels nice- gets all the sunrise sun. I dont venture into the shady yards this early. Cold.
I think Tom,some blooms hold up in a freeze..but I know my Aloe vanbalenii ( ok,how did google know what I was thinking when i typed "Aloe" and the a.vanbalenii came up first?) will not - they look freeze dried in a cold winter.
Your in vineyard country- they like that sinking cold air. I notice on that NOA chart? The hills and hilltops around you can stay in the 40's all winter. I can only remember one bay arean who lived outside San Francisco frost free climate and answered with his own in the much warmer Fremont hills. He had some things going nobody else around had and in 80f summers. Perfect...for here.
Stan
Ready to Bolt

Post by Stan »

The next two weeks forecast is for lows to be in the 40's and 50's. That should mean a frost free winter. Jan1 and my banana's are still in green leaf.
Attachments
IMG_8243.jpg
IMG_8243.jpg (147.54 KiB) Viewed 1771 times
Gee.S
Site Admin

Post by Gee.S »

Gawd, please don't jinx it again. Remember last year?
Agave
"American aloe plant," 1797, from Greek Agaue, proper name in mythology (mother of Pentheus), from agauos "noble," perhaps from agasthai "wonder at".

"Some talk the talk, others walk the walk, but I stalk the stalk"
Spination
Ready to Bolt

Post by Spination »

Amen.

Aside from "frost free winter" - not quite here. These are the last consecutive days since 12/11 I've recorded. Count 'em. 10 days 32 or lower. By the way, there are a few missing earlier before I even started recording the temps in the AM.
12/11 8 AM 32 F
12/10 8 AM 31 F
12/11 7:30 32 F
12/12 7 AM 30 F
12/13 8 AM 30 F
12/14 8 AM 32 F
12/15 8 AM 33 F
12/16 7 AM 50 F
12/17 8 AM 48 F
12/18 7 AM 34 F
12.21 7 AM 46 F but was 34 @ 2 AM nice wind came in
12/22 7 AM 29 F
12/23 7 AM 34 F
12/26 8 AM 32 F
12/27 8 AM 34 F
12/28 8 AM 32 F Ice in buckets
12/29 8 AM 33 F
12/30 8 AM 31 F
12/31 7 AM 36 F and cloudy
1/1 7 AM 38 F "

Anyway, I'd be really, really happy if we've made it through the worst of it, but I'm not holding my breath. Last season, we had a freezer all the way to March 1...so we have a long way to go yet.
Stan
Ready to Bolt

Post by Stan »

But Tom.you have to admit- a low of 29f for Sonoma is pretty good. In other years,what do you usually get? For Sonoma,I think you might be getting away pretty good..decades ago that area probably saw a 25f often and in a huge freeze,teens.
Gee, I know. I have that habit of tickling the tail of the Dragon..
Spination
Ready to Bolt

Post by Spination »

That 29 low to date didn't cause any problem. But we still have Jan to get through. If this were Feb 1, I'd be feeling fairly relaxed now. So far, so good... It's been chilly, a lot, but the lows have been fortuitous in not going lower (so far ::wink:: ).
Stan
Ready to Bolt

Post by Stan »

Average low so far is 48f with lowest low of 45f. In January. I kid you not- I saw a Plumeria bloom on my Celadine today. NEVER since I started it in 1998 have I seen a January bloom on it. PLUS,with all the rain thats fallen..its still 67f today. Cloudy...and 67f. :shock:
Spination
Ready to Bolt

Post by Spination »

We've had a happy reprieve from cold - almost 50 F on the nose for lows 3 days running. Very nice! Regarding "all that rain" - speak for yourself! :lol: Since it did start "raining" yesterday around noon, about 12 hours before it was scheduled, I figured that the 1/2" prediction should have been fairly close to the actual. Oops, not! This morning, I tried to read the rain gauge, but couldn't. There was no meniscus to be seen in the gauge. I poured out what there was, and it amounted to a few drops, not enough to even register anything that I could read. I'd like to say we got .05", but if we did, I would have been able to read that... I'd say we got next to nothing all said and done. :huh:
Gee.S
Site Admin

Post by Gee.S »

It has been crazy mild here. Winter came, then left a few days later. But all that meteorological horror happening out east scares me. I know all too well this whole scenario can flip, and I'll be on the wrong end of it. Six more weeks, then no worries.
Agave
"American aloe plant," 1797, from Greek Agaue, proper name in mythology (mother of Pentheus), from agauos "noble," perhaps from agasthai "wonder at".

"Some talk the talk, others walk the walk, but I stalk the stalk"
Spination
Ready to Bolt

Post by Spination »

Agreed. As they say somewhere somehow "It ain't over until it's over..." D))
Stan
Ready to Bolt

Post by Stan »

Hayward set a record of 68f. Mind you..its on a rainy day in January :shock: The old record was only 63f.
Look- my plumeria
Attachments
IMG_8257.JPG
IMG_8257.JPG (83.59 KiB) Viewed 1704 times
Spination
Ready to Bolt

Post by Spination »

54 F this AM!!! I would have gone T-Shirt, except it was raining. :lol: Seriously, compared to lower 30s, it felt quite warm. .15" in the rain gauge from overnight, and coming down pretty good as of 8:20AM. Looks like this storm is actually going to make some difference this time.

Stan - congrats on the Plumeria.
Azuleja
Ready to Bolt

Post by Azuleja »

Yes, today I went outside in a sweatshirt and immediately had to take it off. Fingers crossed for rain.
Spination
Ready to Bolt

Post by Spination »

Yes, even a few miles can make a big difference. With the rain up here a couple of days ago, they got up to 1/2" around the Bay Area, up to nearly an inch I heard in La Honda (near the coast), and we got a few drops. We're talking about maybe a 50 mile difference from where Stan got "all that rain", to where we got next to nothing. The last 24 hours much better though - .4" in the rain gauge this second system that blew through. On the cold front, the clouds vacated overnight, dropping the temps with rain clouds from the 50s to 40 on the nose this AM. Anyway, fingers crossed here too. We've got a lot of catching up to do with a very dry December. It's not even close, but I'd much rather have the rain with warmer temps, than the clear sky and temps in the 30s by morning.
Stan
Ready to Bolt

Post by Stan »

Its going to pour Monday and Tuesday. Today we have our first "Tule Fog" of the year. Heavy fog. Tom,you getting it over there?