Cold?

Discuss any and all issues that don't fit neatly into one of our other forum sections.
Stan
Ready to Bolt
USDA Zone: 10a

Re: Cold?

Post by Stan »

I have always Red...looks different. Mine has tan leaves. Maybe its another "Something" Red. Well,Tuesday is not now the coldest morn(35f)..its been pushed to Wednesday morn -34f
Coastal San Deigo? 42. Thats the same as the middle of the SF bay.
I see Jay is safe...37 and 38. He's not only close to the bay like me...he's also half as close to the beach. He's got one of the better frost free areas.
Hayward Ca. 75-80f summers,60f winters.
Azuleja
Ready to Bolt

Post by Azuleja »

I have Always Red too and it's sending up 2 stalks. Looks just like that but hasn't clumped yet.
Spination
Ready to Bolt

Post by Spination »

Apparently, the bigger the clump gets, the pupping goes exponential. Sounds like an exaggeration, but here's photos to show what I mean...
Here's 3 years ago... looks pretty normal.
2015 01 27 Aloe Always Red a.jpg
2015 01 27 Aloe Always Red a.jpg (164.77 KiB) Viewed 1624 times
2 years ago - a number of offsets
2016 03 22 Aloe Always Red a.JPG
2016 03 22 Aloe Always Red a.JPG (205.74 KiB) Viewed 1624 times
I don't have a shot from last year, but the clump was bigger yet. I wasn't interested in a photo because the freezes we had beat the hell out of it, and all the leaf tips, some even half-way down the leaf turned brown and dried up. One day last year, I spent over an hour breaking them all off just so the plant didn't look quite so bad. It did make a good comeback, and because our freezes this year have been of the mild variety (hovering right at 32), the tips have only turned orange.
Stan
Ready to Bolt

Post by Stan »

WU now says only Monday morn at 34f is for me to worry about. The temps and days are changing by the hour. All we need is a breeze and everything in fine..or some cloud cover. Remember they were calling for a record front in December- and it all fell apart to actually above average? Let them do that again.
Spination
Ready to Bolt

Post by Spination »

The lineup predicted is way worse than anything we had in December. These are my next 10 lows forecast: 30, 27, 28, 34, 31, 32, 33, 32, 31, 32. December had one low below 30 @ 29, and only one 7 day stretch of cold lows before being broken up with 40s or 50s.

The breeze you're asking for is here - and it's coming straight down from Canada, so... cold. ::wink::
Azuleja
Ready to Bolt

Post by Azuleja »

Aw, crap.
Attachments
Screenshot_2018-02-18-13-47-37-1.jpg
Screenshot_2018-02-18-13-47-37-1.jpg (57.9 KiB) Viewed 1615 times
Spination
Ready to Bolt

Post by Spination »

That's even worse ... so I agree with the Aw, crap. ::wink:: But, within the realm of understated low forecasting that's been more normal than not these days - we could hit lows like that too. I sure hope not though!
Stan
Ready to Bolt

Post by Stan »

NWS is saying one 34f for me (Tuesday morn),then it jumps to 37. But some others are not so kind...32f says one and 33f the next night. Its not so bad out there right now..I did my running around and its..almost warm.
I just need some tall cover for the mango..everything else has to endure but a plant here or there.
Coldest third week of February since the early 70's. It does feel like me riding my bike on a windy and clear February. Carpenters,Bread,Neil Diamond and Stevie Wonder ( my cheri amor)...maybe more then you want to know .. :lol:
Spination
Ready to Bolt

Post by Spination »

A reprieve for one night. Our temperature drop in the middle of the night got to 34, and then just stayed there, while a little distance away in any direction was much colder according to the AM TV news. It's supposed to be colder this next one - in the 20s. Everything I'm worried about has been stuffed inside, at the expense of me being able to enter and move around freely. In one kit, I have blooming aloes all the way in front, so I can still lean inside and pollinate flowers in the AM. :lol:
Anyway, should be able to ride this through without much in the way of plant casualties - or so I hope anyway. :))
Stan
Ready to Bolt

Post by Stan »

Its only 48 at 10:30am. This winter has been so mild..thats right there with coolest 10am ::roll:: in awhile. The wind blew over the largest potted Ti..so just stood it up on the ground. I might adjust this here and move that there today. I'm still thinking ~35F for a low. I just dont see the near 10f drop they claim.
Spination
Ready to Bolt

Post by Spination »

Showing 26 F for here tonight. I'd be pretty happy if it was a few degrees warmer, but the way they've been talking about this event for the last week, I doubt I'll be that lucky a 2nd night in a row.
Stan
Ready to Bolt

Post by Stan »

I think they are wrong. Todays low of 42f was much better then the 37f they said it would be. I cant see a 10f drop. I refuse to believe..but will still cover. I COULD BE WRONG.

Well,on its calendar page WU says 35 now. Same for Accuweather. Although they both have lower on the front page. Jeez,giving two different predictions is really hand on the scales predicting!
Azuleja
Ready to Bolt

Post by Azuleja »

We had snow flurries this afternoon. Nothing stuck but it's definitely not warm.
Stan
Ready to Bolt

Post by Stan »

Well,Mango tree @10' is too big for me to cover. Now I try plan "b" I had in mind...an electric fan. I have one of those on a 3' pole.
Spination
Ready to Bolt

Post by Spination »

Good luck tonight - it's supposed to be the bad one. I've been wearing a heavy sweater, and all day long each time I went outside, I've felt the biting cold right through it. Clear sky, cold northern air - sub 30 here we come.
Stan
Ready to Bolt

Post by Stan »

I had to drop electric the fan idea- it might rain. Actually,they keep talking about light rains and wind...so how can there be a freeze? I'm betting closer to 35f.
I notice that the urban warming is holding up. Outside of the bay area record lows are possible. We will find out.
Agavemonger
Ready to Bolt

Post by Agavemonger »

There was frost this morning in many inland San Diego County locations, and more expected for tonight. I hit a low of 34 degrees Fahrenheit last night (I am not quite in an inland valley), and a friend reports frost in Santee (definitely an inland valley). The National Weather Service synopsis reports this morning that Ramona recorded a new record low for the date of 24 degrees Fahrenheit. :shock:

Even though this has probably been one of the warmest winters (frost-wise) that I have experienced in forty years, it just goes to show that you can't count frost completely out of the picture even later in February. I don't usually bring out tender plants until mid-March, just to be on the safe side.

Predictions based on the effects of Global Warming are for weather phenomena to become more erratic in the future. This could very well mean that frost incidents could occur even later in the spring, even after abnormally warm winters.

I would assume that cold air pooling areas in California such as Riverside County, San Bernardino County, and the Central Valley (and areas further North) might even expect light frosts potentially running into April in the years ahead.

The Monger
reality_velo
Bulbil

Post by reality_velo »

First frost for me this morning here in north county San Diego. We actually had a hail for a good 10-mins yesterday evening too!
Agavemonger
Ready to Bolt

Post by Agavemonger »

We had some minor hail here in (the coastal side) of Rancho Bernardo also. Fortunately, I don't see any obvious signs of damage so far. :shock:

Reality Velo: where are you located? Do you know how cold you got?

The Monger
reality_velo
Bulbil

Post by reality_velo »

I'm up in Valley Center on top of a hill, were pretty frost free luckily, but defiantly had frost this morning in the lower parts of the yard. I don't know what the low was, I totally forgot to check this AM before I headed out.
Stan
Ready to Bolt

Post by Stan »

I dont know what the exact low was...but banana's (Ice Cream and Red Maurelli) are fine and brugs ( yellow and pink) are still fine and blooming. I didn't look until 9am at my own thermo and it was at 42f. So,I couldn't have been colder then mid 30's is my best guess.
Its not like I have a huge collection of tropicals on my little lot in life...but the ones I have can sure look ugly if frosted. Spared that this year.
Spination
Ready to Bolt

Post by Spination »

The news said 33 F for Oakland, but that doesn't mean that's what you had. They did mention record lows all around the Bay Area. Here, my phone app said 25 F @ 7 AM, but my outdoor thermometer said 27 F, so I'll go with my own reading.
Anyway, one word Fuh-reeeeezing. COLD!

I just uncovered everything, because the sun is only finally out to warm things up - low 40s @ almost 11 AM - and this picture taken @ 10:50AM... the top 1/4" layer of a 5 gal water bucket. Picture is worth XXXX words...
2018 02 20 FREEZE.jpg
2018 02 20 FREEZE.jpg (106.43 KiB) Viewed 1552 times
How about that? In the same month, record highs, and record lows! Now, if that doesn't perfectly exemplify what I've been saying about about this climate change event we are seeing in our own lifetimes - extreme weather, and new records being set in both directions at a faster rate than ever seen before...
Stan
Ready to Bolt

Post by Stan »

I wouldn't believe anything about Oakland. Ever since they moved the official readings to the Oak Museum from OAK-X..readings have been wrong. The Oakland Palmetum does not see 33f this year or any short of 1990. I would guess they were in the upper 30's. You might have to look at other stations set up by hobbyists around Oaktown. Funny,but I was looking at NWS readings yesterday ( predictions) and they gave a 38f for Oakland on their graphical map. My rant on that!

I know that urban warming is not denied by anybody..and the bay area in 2018 has plenty of people to keep us moving up the zone ladder. More crowded by the hour.
Spination
Ready to Bolt

Post by Spination »

There is no doubt in my mind based on comparing our lows over time that you live in a special microclimate that is a pocket of warmer temps than what seems to surround you. Oakland has hills, and flats, and by the bay, and further from the bay. I've seen temps in my own area vary by 10 degrees depending on 5-10 miles north, or east. On occasion, we've been higher, and we've been lower than surrounding areas - so maybe it's according to how the wind blows... or doesn't. ::wink:: Based on the overall lows given on the Bay Area weathermap @ circa 7 AM today on Ch 2, it would not surprise me that somewhere in Oakland, it well could have been 33. It also wouldn't surprise me either that you were 5 degrees or more higher. :))

ADDED - For that matter - I've seen my own temps right here vary depending at least a little whether on ground level, or a few feet off the ground, or out in the open, or hugging hedges or under tree cover... One interesting thing is water buckets parked over by hedges - no ice on top (so obviously did not hit 32 F for a meaningful amount of time), and other buckets yards away in the open with ice on top (so obviously did hit 32 F or lower).
Azuleja
Ready to Bolt

Post by Azuleja »

It was 23F here. I moved more things into protected areas, covered a couple and brought some more in. The Agave 'Blue Flames' were left in a shed and look done for. Other than that I'll have to wait a week or so to see if there's any new damage. We always expect light freezes until at least Easter but this was a doozy.