Anthurium andicola. Cool loving outdoor Anthurium

Discuss any and all issues that don't fit neatly into one of our other forum sections.
Stan
Ready to Bolt
USDA Zone: 10a

Anthurium andicola. Cool loving outdoor Anthurium

Post by Stan »

This is one of the very few Anthuriums to actually be hardy outdoors in the bay area. It was a surprise too,that its first bloom- is now,in December near January of all times. Its even GROWING new foliage. It doesn't have the fiery red of lowland Anthuriums..but once this gets to be a clump ( I hope) it will look pretty good. Most photos on the net of this plant show a ugly spathe and flower. SO far,its reserved but not ugly.
This might be good plant to try mounted on a tree. How many Anthuriums are doable for that in California?
p.s. Its native to Mount Orizaba in Veracruz,Mexico. Even more exotic then the misleading "andi" last name.
Attachments
IMG_8188.JPG
IMG_8188.JPG (96.35 KiB) Viewed 1110 times
Hayward Ca. 75-80f summers,60f winters.
Stone Jaguar
Ready to Bolt

Re: Anthurium andicola. Cool loving outdoor Anthurium

Post by Stone Jaguar »

Hi, Stan.

There are a number of anthuriums that can handle the temperature range in this area. The limiting factor for many will be zero tolerance for wind, so a sheltered spot is a must. The southeastern Mexican group that A. andicola and lookalikes belong to has a number of species that have been tested outdoors in SoCal and the milder parts of the SF Bay area, including A. cerrobaulense, A. seleri, A. parvispathum and A. faustomirandae. Several giant-leaf high Andean forms also have succeeded in limited trials. I have some A. salgarense that I will plant out this spring, but have already grown western Guatemalan-origin A. seleri in the ground and potted outdoors here for several years. All the plants I listed (except for salgarense) and in addition to A. andicola, are lithophytes and associated with pine-oak forest agaves and furcraeas in nature.
Stan
Ready to Bolt

Post by Stan »

I had to do some Google research Jay to see what those Anthuriums looked like...wow. I know Darrold Petty's had some..I would spot "Some kind of big Anthurium,I thought" in the background of his palm photos.
I swore off jungle plants..but there is room for something like those. Here in the bay area cut leafed Aroids other then P.selloum are few and far between. To be Anthuriums is wild. I'm going to bookmark this post for some future ebay perusing.
Stan
Ready to Bolt

Post by Stan »

Update.
Attachments
IMG_8285.JPG
IMG_8285.JPG (50.47 KiB) Viewed 1039 times