Dorstenia gigas.

Use this forum to discuss matters relating to Caudiciform and Pachyform fat plants. This is where one posts unknown plant photos for ID help.
Stan
Ready to Bolt
USDA Zone: 10a

Dorstenia gigas.

Post by Stan »

I've had it 12 years now..from a 3" potted plant to a 14" tall plant in a 8" pot. Slow on our bay area summers. Its outdoors all year,hardy to 28f at least with no damage other then the leafs. Those are then regrown in summer. Its really for a Greenhouse kept hot...the ones you can barely stand to go into? One of those.
The only caveat is fast drainage is required. Also,its hard to root cuttings of this. I haven't mastered that yet.
Attachments
IMG_5737xx.jpg
IMG_5737xx.jpg (196.38 KiB) Viewed 4001 times
Hayward Ca. 75-80f summers,60f winters.
Gee.S
Site Admin
USDA Zone: 9b

Re: Dorstenia gigas.

Post by Gee.S »

Nice! Do we need a Caudiciform section?
Agave
"American aloe plant," 1797, from Greek Agaue, proper name in mythology (mother of Pentheus), from agauos "noble," perhaps from agasthai "wonder at".

"Some talk the talk, others walk the walk, but I stalk the stalk"
Agavemonger
Ready to Bolt

Post by Agavemonger »

Absolutely! :U D))

The Monger
mickthecactus

Post by mickthecactus »

I'd go with that although it might depend on the definition of caudiciform.

Pachypodium, Adenium, Fockea for example are all in Apocynaceae.
Agavemonger
Ready to Bolt

Post by Agavemonger »

They would, of course, mostly have to fall in both the appropriate genera section as well as the cauduciforme section.

But still, it would be very convenient to have a separate "Fat Plant" section. D))

The Monger
Geoff

Post by Geoff »

I have millions (literally) of photos of plants, and for a while, caudiciforms was a heading for many of them... but then I eventually had to separate them out in more taxonomic categories since some of the plants that went into Fat Plants had species in the same genera that did not form a caudex... it was fine for a while just putting a photo into both categories, but after a while I missed some in one, and some in another, and then eventually had a lot harder time tracking down the proper phtotos... so eliminated the caudiciform category... don't think that would necessarily be a problem here and it would be nice to see fat plants all together.
Agavemonger
Ready to Bolt

Post by Agavemonger »

Yeah, Geoff; it would take a lot of constant monitoring by the Moderator to make sure that relevant comments in the species threads got forwarded to the Cauduciform thread, and vice-versa.
Gee.S
Site Admin
USDA Zone: 9b

Post by Gee.S »

So, I guess we'll put that on hold for now, until someone steps forward and volunteers.
Agave
"American aloe plant," 1797, from Greek Agaue, proper name in mythology (mother of Pentheus), from agauos "noble," perhaps from agasthai "wonder at".

"Some talk the talk, others walk the walk, but I stalk the stalk"
Stan
Ready to Bolt

Post by Stan »

I don't see any problems. Most of us know what Fat plant means. You could include Ant plants for example..again its "the look" that plants take to survive dry. Even rain forest plants can do it..since some grow on tree's,rocks..like that. Tuberous plants from 4 O clocks to small Euphorbia's that when raised have large swollen roots even if that never shows in habitat.
I would like to see Caudiciforms-Fat Plants. They don't take much yard room!
Stan
Ready to Bolt

Post by Stan »

Also- as far as Dorstenia..you see it can take the amount of watering it takes to grow moss. I've even had Irish moss sprout in that pot. In summer,I water often. Light watering..causes leaf drop in summer. Its one drawback is molasses growth without 90+ all summer.
Stan
Ready to Bolt

Post by Stan »

Yesterday- I put into a deep 3 gallon black plastic pot. I noticed i nan old photo of my own plant- that i took!- had a much taller stem. I lost that one brief attempt to grow Dorstenia gigas in ground in native clay. Within days of a early winter rains...it began to rot. I repotted it. That was about 10 years ago. So,brilliant idea no. 2 is that,its gotten bushier..but not much taller,so lets see if hot roots via the black plastic and much more room root get it going again.
Hey,something happens to me?- contact wife. I want to see it go to a good home.
Azuleja
Ready to Bolt

Post by Azuleja »

Omg Stan :lol: I hope you're doing okay :eek:
Stan
Ready to Bolt

Post by Stan »

lol,Im ok..but some of these plants I put some real work and even the storys behind them involve luck I usually don't have. I hate the idea its all a waste. Older gardeners think differently I guess.