Planting a heavy Pachypodium lamerei.

Use this forum to discuss matters relating to Caudiciform and Pachyform fat plants. This is where one posts unknown plant photos for ID help.
Stan
Ready to Bolt
USDA Zone: 10a

Planting a heavy Pachypodium lamerei.

Post by Stan »

Its about 8 or 9 years old. It's just time to plant it since they seem hardy here overall..some nip back from frost some years,but do well enough. I'm trying to reduce the container ranch a bit, plus save water. Once these get rooted in..water every now and then in ground. More when its summer and hot,and not at all the rest of the year.
So photo's of the project.
Sorry,I got the order reversed. :roll:
Attachments
The subject is in its new home. Later,black lava will be spread under it. I don't think Pachy's like other plants under them.
The subject is in its new home. Later,black lava will be spread under it. I don't think Pachy's like other plants under them.
IMG_9185.JPG (245.54 KiB) Viewed 2855 times
Like the Blue Whale of bay area Pachy's.
Like the Blue Whale of bay area Pachy's.
IMG_9180.JPG (267.14 KiB) Viewed 2855 times
The fish out of water.
The fish out of water.
IMG_9177.JPG (202.59 KiB) Viewed 2855 times
The hole in the ground . The start.
The hole in the ground . The start.
IMG_9179.JPG (265.55 KiB) Viewed 2855 times
Hayward Ca. 75-80f summers,60f winters.
Azuleja
Ready to Bolt

Re: Planting a heavy Pachypodium lamerei.

Post by Azuleja »

Cool, Stan! Hopefully it didn't bite you.
Stan
Ready to Bolt

Post by Stan »

Well,see that yellow bunny ears? It was growing too far onto the sidewalk so I pruned it Azul,and somehow I ended up with glochids on my arms,some fingers where my leather gloves have thinned and even a few on my belly. All from just replanting the pruned piece. Cacti are too clever.
Azuleja
Ready to Bolt

Post by Azuleja »

Yes, I see it. I won't grow those here. The glochids never fail to find skin.
Stan
Ready to Bolt

Post by Stan »

Still itchy and sore. My front yard with all those plants,tree roots, and sun?..it just drys the ground hard right next to the sidewalk when other parts of my yards are still pleasant to dig in..like moist cake.
I have tried to get those plants in pots that just fill out too fast those pots and so, into the ground. Crassula's especially. No big deal when they get pinched for a cutting or so. I've been organizing for the last five years..getting closer.
I even have an old ( over 30 years) big 240g plexiglass aquarium I want to set up in the back yard. No worry's raccoons or egrets will get the fish...its got a sealed cover with three openings..and those will not be left open. This aquarium is so old...the glass has lost some clarity and has a milky haze to it. Bad for indoors...but outdoors wont mean much.
I have plans Azul, plans!..pre bucket list stuff. :lol:
Viegener
Ready to Bolt
USDA Zone: 10b

Post by Viegener »

Glochids are hell. I've used Elmers glue (paint on, let dry, peel off. I've seen duct tape recommended but never tried it.

I pulled almost every Opuntia because of them. I can take being poked by any agave, but those glochids are their own special kind of torture.