Adenium obesum

Use this forum to help with identification issues and to show off your beautiful fat plants, one species, subspecies, and cultivar at a time.
Forum rules
This section is dedicated toward maintaining one active thread for each fat plant species/subspecies/variety/cultivar. Please feel free to add information and/or photos to existing threads or start your own by adding Genus/species as the thread subject. Note that listings are displayed alphabetically. Enjoy!
Geoff

Adenium obesum

Post by Geoff »

aka Desert Rose... super common and fairly cheap plant... but huge ones are worth a lot. I find them easy to take care of... but easy to rot if you let them get cold. They love rain, but ONLY if not very cold (over 40F preferably).
Adenium obesa red huge CCC.jpg
Adenium obesa red huge CCC.jpg (165.77 KiB) Viewed 8423 times
Adenium obessum huge Intercity 15.jpg
Adenium obessum huge Intercity 15.jpg (120.79 KiB) Viewed 8423 times
Adenium obesum nice trunk CCC.jpg
Adenium obesum nice trunk CCC.jpg (140 KiB) Viewed 8423 times
Adenium obesum roots CCC.jpg
Adenium obesum roots CCC.jpg (103.2 KiB) Viewed 8423 times
Jkwinston
Ready to Bolt

Re: Adenium obesum

Post by Jkwinston »

Tacarigua, Trinidad
Tacarigua, Trinidad
IMG_3832s.jpg (74.24 KiB) Viewed 8413 times
Tacarigua, Trinidad
Tacarigua, Trinidad
IMG_3831sv.jpg (85.23 KiB) Viewed 8413 times
Tacarigua, Trinidad
Tacarigua, Trinidad
IMG_3830sx.jpg (79.75 KiB) Viewed 8413 times
Tacarigua, Trinidad
Tacarigua, Trinidad
IMG_3814st.jpg (108.86 KiB) Viewed 8413 times
Tacarigua, Trinidad
Tacarigua, Trinidad
IMG_3816xx.jpg (100.46 KiB) Viewed 8413 times
Jkwinston
Ready to Bolt

Post by Jkwinston »

Native to East Africa and the Middle East, adeniums are quite easy to grow from seeds. Usually, they germinate in about a week or more, as long as the seeds are fresh. It is possible to grow them from cuttings, but that is better left to growers in the tropics. They prefer well drained soil, and should respond easily if treated as succulents. As tropical plants, they do not like cold weather which causes them to rot. Don't be fooled they may look al-right at lower temperatures, but 10C/50F is a safe minumum. For most of us, it will be easier to buy young plants because of the numerous hybrids available today. Jkw
IMG_1940s.jpg
IMG_1940s.jpg (168.59 KiB) Viewed 8396 times
IMG_1941s.jpg
IMG_1941s.jpg (180.09 KiB) Viewed 8396 times
aden8.jpg
aden8.jpg (26.87 KiB) Viewed 8396 times
admix22.jpg
admix22.jpg (19.13 KiB) Viewed 8396 times
Melt in the Sun
Ready to Bolt
USDA Zone: 9b

Post by Melt in the Sun »

I've seen them growing in the ground, in shade, in the Phillipines - pretty impressive for a plant from the Arabian peninsula!

When dry they do pretty well down to freezing...at least, that was my experience til this year. Normally I keep them bone dry from about October, outside on a high shelf out of the sun once they defoliate. I normally would just bring them in and put them on the counter overnight when frost was threatening. This year my largest one rotted from the bottom...no idea why. I managed to root a couple cuttings of it, but most of those rotted too...I think I didn't cut far enough up and the same rot was already in my cuttings.

I've seen it said that cuttings won't ever develop the fat base that seedlings will. This isn't true, but it will take a little longer to get there. I wouldn't hesitate to buy a cutting of a nice variety...better to wait a couple extra years than have an ugly graft scar forever!
Jkwinston
Ready to Bolt

Post by Jkwinston »

Melt, my experience was very sad. I had grown a few plants from seeds, and they were well on their way. I left them in the greenhouse till December, temperature 45F and they looked fine. As the real winter approaches, I moved them indoors, and was glad to see them looking fantastic. I even gave them a spray of water. But by January they were all dead, one by one they rotted. You have warmer day temperature than the UK, and that will make a difference. Jkw
mcvansoest
Location: Tempe, Arizona, USA ie. Low Desert & Urban Heat Island
USDA Zone: 9a/b

Post by mcvansoest »

I winter mine outside under a patio roof and, like you Danny, stop watering them completely late October/early November, even when it is still hot, it takes them a while to harden off for winter. Last winter (2015/16) most never went fully dormant though I still did not water them, this last winter most of them did - I kept them a little further from the heat leak that is our kitchen window (I am pretty sure they stick around 45F if in front of that window even on below freezing nights), so that may be it.

However, I also did an experiment - I put a big box store bought cheap Adenium Obesum (presumably a hybrid, but not sold as such) in the ground. To give it some protection I planted it in near a Tacoma stans and under the shade of my Palo Verde. Then the wet winter happened and I for sure thought I would find a rotted out carcass come spring, but surprise surprise, it survived, got a little bit of damage at the tallest stem tip, but did not even loose all of its leaves, now it is making branches and plenty of new leaves, and I am thinking I did not plant it in enough sun.

Now we only went down to 31F once this winter, that was it, so not very cold at all, but it was relatively speaking super wet - I lost a couple of cacti to that wetness - so in the right circumstances they can survive. The one big thing is that even in winter while we can get a lot of rain, we rarely have high humidity for very long, which I am sure is different for you Jkw.

Here is the in the ground experiment:
16428b.jpg
16428b.jpg (122.07 KiB) Viewed 8385 times
It is what it is!
Jkwinston
Ready to Bolt

Post by Jkwinston »

Very interesting Thijs, and very brave. But I am certain you are right. With our wet and cold climate, I believe it would not stand a chance. Jkw
mcvansoest

Post by mcvansoest »

This came to me as Adenium obesum, but I have read that most of these kind of cultivars usually have been hybridized with some other Adenium at least once so it could be put in an 'Adenium obesum hybrid' entry in the gallery, but I think at that point there might be quite few plants that would actually go in the straight up entries for the plant.

Anyway, its best flowering so far:
Adenium obesum big red flower
Adenium obesum big red flower
DSC_0051.JPG (75.8 KiB) Viewed 8359 times
Though on some previous occasions the edge of the flower petals was a deep black color, not showing that this year. My purely white one, which has not (yet) flowered this year occasionally will come in with a slight pink tinge. They have really turned it on since we hit may and night time Ts have stayed in the high 50s and above consistently.
It is what it is!
Stan
Ready to Bolt
USDA Zone: 10a

Post by Stan »

A.obesum and others, will fool you. They will take a winter..grow well for a summer or two..and as that caudex gets size? THATS when they melt over a regular winter..even under shelter. I've gotten 3 to really nice size..all eventually collapsed. Either put them in a greenhouse.or live in a very mild winter..temps rarely below 45f. IMO..smile.
I wish we had a poster from far,far,south Arizona. I think Yuma might be a true subtropical climate...they would have largest I bet.
Hayward Ca. 75-80f summers,60f winters.
Stan
Ready to Bolt

Post by Stan »

Dorstenia gigas? You Arizona guys can grow them in ground...they take my winters,my cold,my rains. The just grow VERY slow.
mcvansoest

Post by mcvansoest »

Tucson is further south than Yuma. It probably stays warmer in winter in Yuma compared to Tucson, but so does the Phoenix area, actually Phoenix is pretty much the same as Yuma for average winter lows. The problem is the occasional, but these days, relatively rare period where it does freeze a few nights in a row.

I honestly think the biggest deal for Adeniums in winter in your area is the humidity, you need to keep them dry all winter long, and given the humidity in the Bay Area, the cold is often 'wet' even if the plant is protected from precipitation, the humidity might get to them.

Here we really do not get much humidity for any length of time, but I still start winter hardening them in late October, early November, when it is still pretty hot, but I reduce watering in October and stop completely in November, even if they look like they are not going dormant I still do not water them during the winter months. I start watering the moment night time lows are 50+.

I do keep them on my patio so they are protected from rain, and they are near a pretty heat leaky window, so even when it gets close to or below freezing they probably do not see those temperatures for very long.

We will see how my in the ground experiment does the coming years.
It is what it is!
MSX
Seedling
USDA Zone: 8a

Post by MSX »

DSCN0684.jpg
DSCN0684.jpg (523.96 KiB) Viewed 4378 times
DSCN0671.jpg
DSCN0671.jpg (283.91 KiB) Viewed 4378 times
DSCN0667.jpg
DSCN0667.jpg (353.27 KiB) Viewed 4378 times
Together with my other dwarf Apocynaceaes - Nerium oleander 'Petite Red' and Plumeria obtusa 'Dwarf Singapore Pink'
DSCN0686.jpg
DSCN0686.jpg (664.84 KiB) Viewed 4378 times
DSCN0680.jpg
DSCN0680.jpg (666.15 KiB) Viewed 4378 times
plantguy
Ready to Bolt

Post by plantguy »

Aren't these the plants that are usually grafted onto oleander so they grow faster?
Stan
Ready to Bolt

Post by Stan »

That last photo shows the family that Adenium are related to. Oleander and Plumeria. Could have added Pachypodiums like P.lamerei and Mandevilla vines.
Melt in the Sun
Ready to Bolt
USDA Zone: 9b

Post by Melt in the Sun »

plantguy wrote: Tue May 23, 2023 4:16 pm Aren't these the plants that are usually grafted onto oleander so they grow faster?
I have never seen that...would be a shame not to have the nice gnarled roots.