Ceiba chodati

Use this forum to help with identification issues and to show off your beautiful fat plants, one species, subspecies, and cultivar at a time.
Forum rules
This section is dedicated toward maintaining one active thread for each fat plant species/subspecies/variety/cultivar. Please feel free to add information and/or photos to existing threads or start your own by adding Genus/species as the thread subject. Note that listings are displayed alphabetically. Enjoy!
Jkwinston
Ready to Bolt

Ceiba chodati

Post by Jkwinston »

Ceiba is the name of the genus whch incorporates many species of large tress growing in tropical America, the Caribbean, West Africa and Southeast Asia. Some of these can grow above sixty metres tall. Recently, the Chorisia group has become part of the Ceiba group. Let's start with one of my firm favourites.
Barcelona Park in Spain
Barcelona Park in Spain
IMG_3456c.jpg (135.78 KiB) Viewed 5236 times
Barcelona Park in Spain
Barcelona Park in Spain
IMG_3438c.jpg (117.68 KiB) Viewed 5236 times
Barcelona Park in Spain
Barcelona Park in Spain
IMG_3442c.jpg (185.03 KiB) Viewed 5236 times
Barcelona Park in Spain
Barcelona Park in Spain
IMG_3531c.jpg (168.93 KiB) Viewed 5236 times
Barcelona Park in Spain
Barcelona Park in Spain
IMG_3527c.jpg (199.9 KiB) Viewed 5236 times
Barcelona Park in Spain
Barcelona Park in Spain
IMG_3517c.jpg (170.03 KiB) Viewed 5236 times
Jkwinston
Ready to Bolt

Re: Ceiba chodati

Post by Jkwinston »

Barcelona Spain
Barcelona Spain
IMG_1023s.jpg (181.79 KiB) Viewed 5231 times
Barcelona Spain
Barcelona Spain
IMG_1021s.jpg (150.64 KiB) Viewed 5231 times
Barcelona Spain
Barcelona Spain
IMG_1022s.jpg (143.99 KiB) Viewed 5231 times
Geoff

Post by Geoff »

any idea how this differs from Ceiba insignis? This species is very common in southern California
Ceiba insignis in full flower 12-15 Hunt.jpg
Ceiba insignis in full flower 12-15 Hunt.jpg (193.68 KiB) Viewed 5218 times
Ceiba insignis older flowers very close 12-15 H.jpg
Ceiba insignis older flowers very close 12-15 H.jpg (61.69 KiB) Viewed 5218 times
Ceiba insignis thorn shot 3 12-15.jpg
Ceiba insignis thorn shot 3 12-15.jpg (162.87 KiB) Viewed 5218 times
Jkwinston
Ready to Bolt

Post by Jkwinston »

Geoff wrote:any idea how this differs from Ceiba insignis? This species is very common in southern California
Ceiba insignis in full flower 12-15 Hunt.jpg
Ceiba insignis older flowers very close 12-15 H.jpg
Ceiba insignis thorn shot 3 12-15.jpg

Geoff, I see C chodati as yellow all over, sometimes leaning to cream. But I see C insignis as white with a yellow centre. i am aware from my times in south Florida, there are lots of hybrids of Ceiba produced which display several ranges of colour. But for this forum I would rather see C insignis as a different specie. Can you move it out of chodati into its own group? The golden rule is the dominant colour dictates where it goes. Jkw

PS. One other point, all the chodati I have come across are small sized trees, the insignis appear to be much bigger specimens.
Geoff

Post by Geoff »

not sure that flower color distinction or size will hold up... as C insignis starts out smaller (of course) and takes 50-80 years to get as large as one in photo... and flowers ARE yellow (completely) until starting to fade/die. I just don't have too many photos of the yellow flowers as I had dozens at one time so I failed to get more when I lost all my photos a few years ago. But found a few. Whiter flowers, again, are those dying.... just like the pink flowers tend to fade and discolor as they fall from C speciosa. I am NOT saying these are the same plant... just that I don't have any idea, nor see anything, that makes me understand why they are NOT the same plant.
Ceiba insignis new flower 12-15.jpg
Ceiba insignis new flower 12-15.jpg (70.22 KiB) Viewed 5208 times
Ceiba insignis flowers nice 12-15 H.jpg
Ceiba insignis flowers nice 12-15 H.jpg (179.17 KiB) Viewed 5208 times
Jkwinston
Ready to Bolt

Post by Jkwinston »

Geoff wrote:not sure that flower color distinction or size will hold up... as C insignis starts out smaller (of course) and takes 50-80 years to get as large as one in photo... and flowers ARE yellow (completely) until starting to fade/die. I just don't have too many photos of the yellow flowers as I had dozens at one time so I failed to get more when I lost all my photos a few years ago. But found a few. Whiter flowers, again, are those dying.... just like the pink flowers tend to fade and discolor as they fall from C speciosa. I am NOT saying these are the same plant... just that I don't have any idea, nor see anything, that makes me understand why they are NOT the same plant.
Ceiba insignis new flower 12-15.jpg
Ceiba insignis flowers nice 12-15 H.jpg

What I am trying to avoid is that we end up with two names under one specie. Much of the confusion is caused by the internet, which tends to rearrange anything to suit its own ends. I have even seen plants described as C speciosa - white flower. It is important that we make a distinction now. Using a colour code: C speciosa - pink, C chodati - yellow, C insignis - white. Of course, there are a lot of hybrid forms of these plants out there, but we need a system to avoid confusion. Jkw
Geoff

Post by Geoff »

only C insignis has yellow flowers... only white when dying. So there has to be some other distinction.
Jkwinston
Ready to Bolt

Post by Jkwinston »

Geoff wrote:only C insignis has yellow flowers... only white when dying. So there has to be some other distinction.
https://apps.cals.arizona.edu/arboretum ... spx?id=380" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Geoff

Post by Geoff »

Well, perhaps we have Ceiba chodati in California?