Calibanus (Beaucarnea) hookeri

Use this forum to help with identification issues and to show off your beautiful fat plants, one species, subspecies, and cultivar at a time.
Forum rules
This section is dedicated toward maintaining one active thread for each fat plant species/subspecies/variety/cultivar. Please feel free to add information and/or photos to existing threads or start your own by adding Genus/species as the thread subject. Note that listings are displayed alphabetically. Enjoy!
Jkwinston
Ready to Bolt

Calibanus (Beaucarnea) hookeri

Post by Jkwinston »

IMG_3046s.jpg
IMG_3046s.jpg (139.5 KiB) Viewed 9240 times
Spination
Ready to Bolt

Re: Calibanus hookeri

Post by Spination »

That's nice Winston. :U How old is that one?
Jkwinston
Ready to Bolt

Re: Calibanus hookeri

Post by Jkwinston »

Spination wrote:That's nice Winston. :U How old is that one?
Oops! Don't get carried away as it is not mine. I wish it was. I am not sure, but I suspect that they maybe slow growers. I came across this plant in an Italian nursery on the border with France. I refuse to guess as I do not want to mislead you. BTW, it is back to the Nolinaceae group. Jkw
Spination
Ready to Bolt

Re: Calibanus (Beaucarnea) hookeri

Post by Spination »

I like the gnarly caudex on that one.

I don't have a good sense for age on them. Here' my larger and older of 2. Mine are happily growing away, but I want to add a 3rd to significantly improve the odds that I have at least one of each sex, in the hopes that some day I can get them to flower and get seeds.
2017 04 29 Calibanus hookeri a X800.jpg
2017 04 29 Calibanus hookeri a X800.jpg (253.48 KiB) Viewed 9227 times
As I understand it, the placement of the caudex in relation to the soil line is a bit of a conundrum. The caudex is the major appeal, but the plant grows faster planted deeper in the soil. Sure, it looks better with more caudex exposed, but that slows the growth.
Stan
Ready to Bolt
USDA Zone: 10a

Post by Stan »

Mines about the size (but not the rough bark yet) of photo no1. Its well over 10years old. I had it in a pot for years- grew very very slowly. Its been in ground for 4 years or so. The foliage looks much better,it blooms. Blooming right now.
Hayward Ca. 75-80f summers,60f winters.
Paul S
Ready to Bolt

Post by Paul S »

Here is one in the botanical garden just outside of San Miguel De Allende, Mexico, rescued from a dam project apparently. It is about the size of an armchair!

Spination
Ready to Bolt

Post by Spination »

That is such an awesome plant. Looks like a pile of rocks with a mop of hair growing out of it. Beautiful! It's wonderful that the plant was rescued - must be very, very old!
Agavemonger
Ready to Bolt

Post by Agavemonger »

These are truly premium plants that never fail to appeal to me. They are tough, easy to grow, and stay under control.

This species makes a superb potted specimen plant, especially near pools or front entry ways. They need a little grooming once in a while, but it can be rather therapeutic to pull the dead leaves off and see the groomed plant reveal the ever-larger growing cauduciform base.

I find these plants to be reasonably steady growers, especially when consistently watered and fertilized and kept in full sun scenarios. They like to be way overpotted in a lighter soil mix and to be kept surprisingly wet to grow fast, at least during the growing season. That being said, they can withstand a surprising degree of abuse. They just get consistently bigger and better with age, especially when given good care! :8:

Whenever I repot them I try to expose a little more of the caudex, but I try to limit it to no more than about a third of it exposed. The plant wants to dig itself in, especially when young. I have a big crop of one-gallon plants that show only about a one-inch or so caudex exposed. When bare-rooted, the caudexes are larger than a softball and weigh in at over two pounds apiece right out of the shower! :eek:

I guess I am going to have to rustle up a whole bunch of five-gallon squat pots real quick! :shock:

The Monger
Spination
Ready to Bolt

Post by Spination »

I had taken your previous advice to be generous with the watering, and I can say that for the last year at least, they have responded with very lush and green growth. My larger of 2 has 5 tufts of leaves coming out all over the caudex, and the newer one has 7. Nice too is that with the more generous watering, those leaves tend to stay green, less tendency to brown out, less need for grooming... just makes the whole plant look that much better. I think I was a bit timid at first, worried about rotting the plant, but after taking your advice, I see that was an unfounded fear.
Jkwinston
Ready to Bolt

Post by Jkwinston »

DSCN0120.JPG
DSCN0120.JPG (96.81 KiB) Viewed 9185 times
DSCN0121.JPG
DSCN0121.JPG (64.67 KiB) Viewed 9185 times
Agavemonger
Ready to Bolt

Post by Agavemonger »

In great age, these plants can potentially rival a buried Volkswagen Bug in size. :shock:

See Paul's photo above of a healthy 'tweener.

The Monger
Stan
Ready to Bolt

Post by Stan »

I'm trying to think who made money growing them from seed,then selling to HD,then HD sold it to me years ago for $6.oo bucks or so.
Stan
Ready to Bolt

Post by Stan »

Here's today's photo of my in bloom plant.
Attachments
IMG_6424.JPG
IMG_6424.JPG (153.97 KiB) Viewed 9161 times
IMG_6423.JPG
IMG_6423.JPG (194.99 KiB) Viewed 9161 times
I'm holding up the leaves to show the caudex.
I'm holding up the leaves to show the caudex.
IMG_6421.JPG (136.68 KiB) Viewed 9161 times
IMG_6420.JPG
IMG_6420.JPG (199.19 KiB) Viewed 9161 times
Jkwinston
Ready to Bolt

Post by Jkwinston »

Wow Stan, that is a major achievement, especially for succulent that is as slow growing as this one. To have it growing successfully is one thing, but to arrive at the point of producing flowers you have to feel mighty proud. How about this .... You deserve the Caudiciform Award of the Month for outstanding achievement. Cheers! Jkw
Stan
Ready to Bolt

Post by Stan »

ha!.well,I learned you wont get much out of these in a pot. In ground I imagine they have a small root system..but those roots I believe like the even moisture,micro nutrients of soils vs potting mixes. btw- I noticed I had pulled off a tuft of leaves last week when I weeded out grasses around it. Unlike those leftovers that browned and blew away,the tuft of Calibanus leaves looked as good as new. I stuck it in the ground for now. Maybe I''ll plant it out the right way in a few days.
Jkwinston
Ready to Bolt

Post by Jkwinston »

That sounds wonderful. Fingers crossed, you may be able to root it. Jkw
mickthecactus

Post by mickthecactus »

IMG_4076.JPG
IMG_4076.JPG (214.48 KiB) Viewed 8804 times
IMG_4076.JPG
IMG_4076.JPG (214.48 KiB) Viewed 8804 times
Stan
Ready to Bolt

Post by Stan »

I pulled weedy grasses around mine..and the Calibanus came right out of the ground with it. Either gophers..or the winter shade from those grasses caused root rot. I just pushed it back down and gave a firm foot to it. I'm not going to put that in a pot again. I'm pretty sure it will re root. My Cyphostemma did the same exact thing 3 years ago and ...re grew fine once gophers were gone.
mickthecactus

Post by mickthecactus »

Mine flowered from 3 different points last year.
mickthecactus

Post by mickthecactus »

C38E7238-CB8C-4242-9296-72DB96BB09C9.jpeg
C38E7238-CB8C-4242-9296-72DB96BB09C9.jpeg (494.9 KiB) Viewed 3706 times