International Sansevieria Society

Use this forum to announce, discuss, and review literature, preferably print, relevant to our xeric gardening interests.

Moderator: DesertDweller

International Sansevieria Society

Post Number:#1  Postby Gee.S » Sat Aug 19, 2017 9:20 pm

I'm probably late to the show here, but just discovered the International Sansevieria Society, my interest being the Journal. 36 issues @ $10 each is kinda spensive but a $25 DVD is available for issues 1-33. I'm in! No idea regarding content or quality, but I do have a DVD coming.
Agave
"American aloe plant," 1797, from Greek Agaue, proper name in mythology (mother of Pentheus), from agauos "noble," perhaps from agasthai "wonder at".

"Some talk the talk, and others walk the walk, but we stalk the stalk"
Gee.S
Site Admin

Re: International Sansevieria Society

Post Number:#2  Postby Brooksphilly » Sun Aug 20, 2017 8:52 am

Awesome! Let us know how it is. Is this the one started way back when by Juan C.?
Brooksphilly
Offset

Post Number:#3  Postby Spination » Sun Aug 20, 2017 9:39 am

No doubt - a treasure trove of information!
Spination

Post Number:#4  Postby jayhouseplant » Wed Sep 06, 2017 8:16 am

Did you ever get the DVD? Thinking of getting one too.
jayhouseplant
Rhizome

Post Number:#5  Postby Gee.S » Fri Sep 08, 2017 12:39 pm

Just got it, and it looks very good. each issue is presented as a separate PDF, and another separate PDF is provided, which indexes the whole lot by species. Quality is excellent. I'll be poring through this for quite a long while, I'd suspect. Not ready to comment on content, but presentation is excellent, and that was my primary concern.

Edit: OK, so I've spent the past hour using the journal as a research tool after copying DVD contents onto one of my hard drives (about 2.2 G). I dare say, this is quite likely the most comprehensive source of Sansevieria information on the planet. Many/most articles favor habitat/taxonomic issues over those of cultivation. Lots of photos. Very impressed.
Agave
"American aloe plant," 1797, from Greek Agaue, proper name in mythology (mother of Pentheus), from agauos "noble," perhaps from agasthai "wonder at".

Gee.S
Site Admin

Post Number:#6  Postby Azuleja » Sun Sep 10, 2017 7:23 pm

Here's a flickr link to 120 preview pages if anyone is curious as I was. There are many articles I'd love to read. No. 12, A handsomely twisted sansevieria. No. 17, Notes on the sansevieria suffruticosa group. Fun stuff. I remembered that our local CSS has a library, and they have The Splendid Sansevieria. So, there's that.
Azuleja
Ready to Bolt

Post Number:#7  Postby Gee.S » Mon Sep 11, 2017 3:56 pm

Azuleja wrote:Here's a flickr link to 120 preview pages if anyone is curious as I was. There are many articles I'd love to read. No. 12, A handsomely twisted sansevieria. No. 17, Notes on the sansevieria suffruticosa group. Fun stuff. I remembered that our local CSS has a library, and they have The Splendid Sansevieria. So, there's that.

One of the first articles I read.
Agave

Gee.S
Site Admin

Previous topic Next topic

Return to Xeric Gardening Literature