New Book Aloes and Agaves in Cultavation by Jeff Moore

Use this forum to announce, discuss, and review literature, preferably print, relevant to our xeric gardening interests.

Moderator: DesertDweller

Woodlily74
Ready to Bolt

New Book Aloes and Agaves in Cultavation by Jeff Moore

Post by Woodlily74 »

Has any. Read this book? I understand it has hundreds of spectacular images and expert text. :roll:
Woodlily74
Ready to Bolt

Re: New Book Aloes and Agaves in Cultavation by Jeff Moore

Post by Woodlily74 »

Thanks Gee. I wasn't sure If Jeff Moore was on here, i though he might be.
Stone Jaguar
Ready to Bolt

Post by Stone Jaguar »

Thanks for the heads up on this. I went ahead and bought a paperback copy and will let you know what I think when I've had a chance to read it. I agree with Gee that the photographic archival resource at Agaveville for both agaves and aloes, including some rather obscure hybrids and cvs, is very well-stocked and of great reference value to me.

Jay
Woodlily74
Ready to Bolt

Post by Woodlily74 »

No problem. It would be nice to have a Agaveville Encylopida of Aloes by Geoff in print!
Stone Jaguar
Ready to Bolt

Post by Stone Jaguar »

Got it. Flipped through it. Many, many creatively taken images of a wide variety of ornamental species and hybrids. Nice color and print quality. I liked it, in spite of occasionally pedantic text. In my opinion, well worth the ticket price. Gave it to my brother to fine tune his garden shopping list. Critically, nothing one doesn't see here with an hour or so's worth of channel-surfing, with somewhat less snark :D

A few fairly obvious but innocent typos evident in a skim, e.g, "xeriphytic", pg 309. Ah, the pitfalls of apparent self-edits!

Solana Succulents? Author must be known to many people here. Can't say it rings a bell.

Jay
Agavemonger
Ready to Bolt

Post by Agavemonger »

A cute little retail nursery on Pacific Coast Highway in Solana Beach, a coastal enclave in North San Diego County. Hours are somewhat erratic, so call and confirm first.

The Author of the book is the proprietor and quite knowledgeable, so always worth a visit. ::wink::

Oh, and Ron: Have you seen the book Aloes: The Definitive Guide? That one is pretty Authoritative. D))

The Monger
Gee.S
Site Admin
USDA Zone: 9b

Post by Gee.S »

I have not. Here is a bargian-priced used one I found: Aloes: The Definitive Guide
Agave
"American aloe plant," 1797, from Greek Agaue, proper name in mythology (mother of Pentheus), from agauos "noble," perhaps from agasthai "wonder at".

"Some talk the talk, others walk the walk, but I stalk the stalk"
Spination
Ready to Bolt

Post by Spination »

Well, that's absurd. I've seen it for under $200 several times, but I'm still not paying that much for it. I don't care how much I want it! ::wink::
Stone Jaguar
Ready to Bolt

Post by Stone Jaguar »

Listed on AMZN for USD 182.00 but out of stock. Wud expect it to show up used on Abebooks at half that in a couple years. Text must be almost a decade old...problem with "definitive" monographs on species-rich genera that occur in poorly botanized political regions is that they are often rather stale by distribution date.
Gee.S
Site Admin

Post by Gee.S »

There are some scammy looking websites that claim to offer a free PDF version of the book.

I've had a used copy of The Splendid Sansevieria on my radar for a while now. No blips...
Agave
"American aloe plant," 1797, from Greek Agaue, proper name in mythology (mother of Pentheus), from agauos "noble," perhaps from agasthai "wonder at".

Agavemonger
Ready to Bolt

Post by Agavemonger »

Yeah, there is nothing worse than to have to spend $200.00+ for a used copy of a book that sold new for around $100.00 a year or two ago.....

It has been the same story with botanical books for the last ten years or so....

Garage book-store e-bayers "speculating" on anything and every thing; check out the prices on used Thomas Guide map books these days.... :huh: ::roll:: :eek:

Plus all botanical books are out of date the day they are printed; but, it's the best we've got..... :D

The Monger
Woodlily74
Ready to Bolt

Post by Woodlily74 »

Thanx Jay 4 ur book review. Sounds like something I would enjoy. Im old school and love books that I can hold in my hand.
Woodlily74
Ready to Bolt

Post by Woodlily74 »

Prime Day is here I just got this book. Wow its loaded with awesome photos and lots of landscaping ideas. It even mentions Our Geoff Stein and his writings. Not enough on my favorit table top aloes, but still worth a good long look. Woody
mcvansoest
Location: Tempe, Arizona, USA ie. Low Desert & Urban Heat Island
USDA Zone: 9a/b

Post by mcvansoest »

Ha, I did the same thing... ordered Monday night and got here yesterday. I agree really great pictures, but as someone noted before, definitely more a coffee table kind of picture book for us here in Arizona, given that many of those beautiful Aloes would have a really hard time here.
It is what it is!
Gee.S
Site Admin

Post by Gee.S »

Stone Jaguar wrote:Thanks for the heads up on this. I went ahead and bought a paperback copy and will let you know what I think when I've had a chance to read it. I agree with Gee that the photographic archival resource at Agaveville for both agaves and aloes, including some rather obscure hybrids and cvs, is very well-stocked and of great reference value to me.

Jay
Not just pics. Geoff has added tons of valuable cultivation information for many of the Aloe taxa listed. I'll have to admit, our Aloe section puts the Agave section to shame....
Agave