Designing with Succulents - Second Edition

Use this forum to announce, discuss, and review literature, preferably print, relevant to our xeric gardening interests.

Moderator: DesertDweller

Stone Jaguar
Ready to Bolt

Designing with Succulents - Second Edition

Post by Stone Jaguar »

I just received this hardbound book, which I purchased after Gerhard Bock gave it a fairly enthusiastic boost recently on his entertaining and image-rich webpage, "Succulents and More".

At first glance it seems worth the price of admission for me to garner a few landscape design tips and to see what some southern California private growers have done with their dry gardens of late. But I am somewhat doubtful that many of the advanced participants here will find it a good way to spend 30 bucks. Very much targeted at beginning succulent enthusiasts and, as a reasonably informed grower, I found it a little too starry-eyed and gushing in its praise for some in the industry. Too much "whimsical" detail gardening for my particular taste, too. Would call the aesthetics police if any of my neighbors copied her more "cute" applications in their gardens. Certainly transfixed on SoCal growing and low water gardens and as such, lacks the balance and variety that more images of show-stopping AZ, TX and European Union collections would have provided.

As an aside, beware of gardeners and nurserypersons who permit themselves to be called the "King of...", "Queen of..." or "...-Whisperer". That said, I'll start referring to myself in third person as, "The Viceroy of Vic-Regs", when critiquing succulent books :cool:

From my perspective and for five dollars more, Jeff Moore's 2016 beautifully-illustrated book on aloes and agaves seems a much better investment.

Après moi, les hortensias.

VoVR
Viegener
Ready to Bolt
USDA Zone: 10b

Re: Designing with Succulents - Second Edition

Post by Viegener »

Sounds a lot like the 1st edition...
Stone Jaguar
Ready to Bolt

Re: Designing with Succulents - Second Edition

Post by Stone Jaguar »

Viegener wrote:Sounds a lot like the 1st edition...
That had to hurt. :cool: