Grasshoppers

Use this section to discuss matters relating to any and all issues involving horticultural pest and disease management. This is where one posts unknown pest/damage photos for ID help.

Moderator: Viegener

Grasshoppers

Post Number:#1  Postby Azuleja » Mon Aug 07, 2017 5:52 pm

We have a lot of grasshoppers here in the summertime. Thousands, millions maybe. I mean, if you walk in the field they leap in all directions like a parting tide. They start out small and end up as big as 3 inches long. We inevitably end up with some in the yard and garden. We don't try too hard to control them because it's pointless. The damage is already done by the time they consume anything toxic and die, and more will readily take their place.

Twice now I've caught grasshoppers on my deck benches. Both times in the act of chewing up my plants - Agave V-R albomarginata and Aloe 'Wiley Coyotee' to boot! I figure this kind of damage is more of a problem for small plants and less likely on big ones. Still, what a nuisance and thank goodness I found them before they decimated an entire plant.

Not sure if any of you have the same issue, but just throwing it out there that grasshoppers are one more thing to add to the list.
Azuleja
Ready to Bolt

Re: Grasshoppers

Post Number:#2  Postby Melt in the Sun » Mon Aug 07, 2017 9:06 pm

That reminds me of something I had forgotten about, years ago...I once had crickets chew the crap out of some in-ground A. victoriae-reginae. I could NOT believe it, yet there they were...crowds of crickets surrounding fresh wounds, like ants drinking from a drop of water.
Melt in the Sun
Ready to Bolt

Re: Grasshoppers

Post Number:#3  Postby Azuleja » Mon Aug 07, 2017 9:39 pm

Well crap because we're surrounded by crickets too. Agaves and fancy hybrid aloes are just too tasty I guess.
Azuleja
Ready to Bolt

Previous topic Next topic

Return to Xeric Plant Pest and Disease Talk