Welcome!

Use this section to discuss matters relating to any and all issues involving horticultural pest and disease management. This is where one posts unknown pest/damage photos for ID help.
Gee.S
Site Admin
USDA Zone: 9b

Welcome!

Post by Gee.S »

Welcome to the new Pest section, and a shout-out to Viegener for volunteering to organize and present valuable information in a comprehensible and convenient format. For now, there will be some odd activity in here, as threads are copied and merged while information is being collected and organized. Please bear with us, we believe the interim mess will be worth it in the end.
Agave
"American aloe plant," 1797, from Greek Agaue, proper name in mythology (mother of Pentheus), from agauos "noble," perhaps from agasthai "wonder at".

"Some talk the talk, others walk the walk, but I stalk the stalk"
Spination
Ready to Bolt

Re: Welcome!

Post by Spination »

Great idea, and thanks Matt for taking on the challenge of organizing information. :U
Steph115
Ready to Bolt

Post by Steph115 »

This is awesome. Many thanks to all those involved!
Azuleja
Ready to Bolt

Post by Azuleja »

Yes, thank you in advance. This will be a valuable resource for many more than just the members here.
Viegener
Ready to Bolt
USDA Zone: 10b

Post by Viegener »

Working on it. Got a work deadline breathing down my neck too. ;-)
Stone Jaguar
Ready to Bolt

Post by Stone Jaguar »

Vieg & Gee:

Your page, but I would link to the published study on aloe treatment by UC we already have on the forum, the general list of miticides for ornamental plants provided by UF-IFAS, idem., and relevant contemporary reports of these pests in the US nursery trade by state agricultural departments or regional extension offices, e.g.http://ucnfanews.ucanr.edu/Articles/Reg ... ave_pests/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false; .

IMO, these should be "sticky" and posted as for informational purposes only, closed to comments, and with a highlighted disclaimer that they do not constitute any explicit nor implicit endorsement any pesticide, nor of unregulated pesticide of any type use by gardeners or nurserymen by Agaveville, its moderators, nor participants. People must be aware that there are risks inherent in the use of any of these products. Read labels!!!
Gee.S
Site Admin
USDA Zone: 9b

Post by Gee.S »

Nooooooo, it's our "page". Agaveville works best as a collaborative effort, and if you have something to add, please do. Authoritative links and vids are high on my list. The only reason I have locked all the mite threads here is that they were copied from another section, where discussion should continue. These threads are simply here as information sources for now. Once we decide on a format, this section will work just like others.
Agave
"American aloe plant," 1797, from Greek Agaue, proper name in mythology (mother of Pentheus), from agauos "noble," perhaps from agasthai "wonder at".

"Some talk the talk, others walk the walk, but I stalk the stalk"
Viegener
Ready to Bolt
USDA Zone: 10b

Post by Viegener »

A challenge it is & of course I'm suddenly buried in my real work.

My goal here is to first create reference pages on agave mite, agave snout beetle, and aloe mites, the 3 pests that come up most often here & clearly the 3 worst. It will include links for identification, then spelled out treatment protocols. These will be clear & jargon-free, aimed more toward the newcomer than you seasoned experts. I will add links to more advanced treatment protocols for professionals or anyone who sells plants, since they have more plants coming in and certainly more going out.

For all 3, I will put a clear statement that any plant lover's priority should be first to protect the plants they already have, rather than try to save a clearly infested new plant.

Gee.S & I agreed that these pages will aim foremost for brevity & clarity, and that if there are conversations or debates, they can happen in a separate posting.