Root mealy bug

Use this section to discuss matters relating to any and all issues involving horticultural pest and disease management. This is where one posts unknown pest/damage photos for ID help.
mickthecactus

Root mealy bug

Post by mickthecactus »

I spend a lot of time just looking at the collection and certainly in summer it is a daily routine. Yesterday evening I was checking them all off when I noticed some soil appeared to have leaked out of a pot through the drainage holes. I have long since learnt that if something looks wrong, it is, so I took the plant (Aloe imalotensis) out of the pot and found a small ant farm in the pot tending a herd of root mealy bugs! I washed it all off then sprayed the roots with insecticide and left it bare root overnight before I spray again later today and repot. However, being suspicious I decided to check out plants nearest and sure enough each one had a small infestation so they have had the same treatment and I will continue to unpot and check this evening until I get to a clear area.
Azuleja
Ready to Bolt

Re: Root mealy bug

Post by Azuleja »

Wow, good catch.
reality_velo
Bulbil

Post by reality_velo »

I have the same issues, and I too am having to repot a lot of my plants. Root mealy bugs and scale are my biggest issues, thanks to the ants I cant seem to get rid of!
mickthecactus

Post by mickthecactus »

Yes, I have more bugs. Mass repot under way,
Azuleja
Ready to Bolt

Post by Azuleja »

We've kept ants in check (out of the house) with organic methods for many years now, but it didn't keep their colonies from expanding and farming aphids in our yard. This year I decided to go nuclear on them and the two colonies I targeted are now completely gone. They treated this stuff like crack, even fighting over it.
Attachments
20170823_114054-1.jpg
20170823_114054-1.jpg (105.42 KiB) Viewed 6862 times
mickthecactus

Post by mickthecactus »

That's what I need. Doubt it's available here.
Azuleja
Ready to Bolt

Post by Azuleja »

I saw other abamectin based ant baits when I was searching. Maybe you have something similar?
mickthecactus

Post by mickthecactus »

I shall check. Thanks!
reality_velo
Bulbil

Post by reality_velo »

Nice, thank you for the info. I did a search for it and i see only Advance 357A, is this what your using?
Azuleja
Ready to Bolt

Post by Azuleja »

Mine doesn't say 357A but you can compare ingredients and percentages to see if they're similar. I got it on Amazon.
reality_velo
Bulbil

Post by reality_velo »

Will do, thanks!
mickthecactus

Post by mickthecactus »

Doesn't look like it's available in the UK
Steph115
Ready to Bolt

Post by Steph115 »

I also recently discovered some root mealybugs on my ponytail palm. Didn't seem to be a terrible infestation, they were almost concentrated at the drainage hole and I didn't find any further upward in the pot. Very strange. It's my first time running into these guys, but probably not my last.
mickthecactus

Post by mickthecactus »

The bugs are back and another repotting session is under way. What I'm worried about is them getting into the Stapeliads but they live on opposite sides of the greenhouse so fingers crossed that they can't find the way.

Anyhow just came across an article suggesting one part hydrogen peroxide to 4 or 5 parts water and used as a soil drench will kill bugs and eggs.

Anybody come across it?
mcvansoest
Location: Tempe, Arizona, USA ie. Low Desert & Urban Heat Island
USDA Zone: 9a/b

Post by mcvansoest »

yes, but did it tell you what strength H2O2 to use? Here H2O2 comes in a number of different strengths and obviously that matters for the dilution factor. I have used H2O2 to treat soil I plan to use for seed starting and I guess it has a sterilizing effect, but must admit that I have forgotten the exact mixture. I was using a 33% H2O2 base solution which I then diluted further with water to the desired final strength, which was less than that.

Is this an issue of having nothing more 'serious' available or a desire not to use heavy pesticides? I do not like using pesticides, but given how mealy bugs and other scale insects tend to spread despite not looking that capable of traveling that far (oh those ants), has me using a systemic on the plants the moment they show up and making sure to hit the nearby plants as well as a precaution.
It is what it is!
mickthecactus

Post by mickthecactus »

I’m afraid we are rather restricted as far as chemicals are concerned.
Need to check again.
Gee.S
Site Admin
USDA Zone: 9b

Post by Gee.S »

Mick, I would try a termiticide. These are generally applied to and through soil around buildings and gardens, and typically remain effective for months. I know this seems harsh, but I'm not sure any other means would be effective.
Agave
"American aloe plant," 1797, from Greek Agaue, proper name in mythology (mother of Pentheus), from agauos "noble," perhaps from agasthai "wonder at".

"Some talk the talk, others walk the walk, but I stalk the stalk"
mcvansoest

Post by mcvansoest »

My combo has been imidacloprid as the systemic - which is probably not available in the UK and then if there are a lot of bugs on the plant above the soil level (which fortunately has only happened a few times) I use something called Ortho (I can look up what the active components are), which stinks with a very distinctive smell, which is why I know that most of the big box stores in my area use it.

Because of the stink I do not like to use the Ortho, but it certainly is effective. Recently had to treat a couple of new Hoyas we brought home (my SO is really into house plants, though fortunately not the crazy expensive ones that are currently the rage) because we kept getting a few mealys despite the imidacloprid drench, sprayed the plants and left them outside on the patio overnight... since then both have been completely mealy free.

Not sure they have termites in the UK...
It is what it is!
Gee.S
Site Admin

Post by Gee.S »

I have tried imidacloprid here for mealies, and found it generally ineffective. Systemics in general, have limited efficacy against mealies. Problem is that systemics are not evenly distributed thru plants, and mealies move away from the bitter taste toward parts of the plants that haven't absorbed as much. Of course the other problem is that a fair number of encysted mealy eggs engage a delayed hatching strategy. That is why plants that have been completely cleaned often suffer reinfestation months later. Let's face it, mealies absolutely suck, literally and figuratively.

The active ingredient in Ortho is bifenthrin, the same termiticide I use here (under the trade name Bifen). Pretty sure termites are everywhere.
Agave
"American aloe plant," 1797, from Greek Agaue, proper name in mythology (mother of Pentheus), from agauos "noble," perhaps from agasthai "wonder at".

mcvansoest

Post by mcvansoest »

Well, google tells me termites are found in over 70% of the world but not England... I guess they are lucky, but it probably means bifenthrin is not going to be available there.

It is probably the Ortho that is the most effective then in my treatment, but the thought is that since the systemic gets taken up through the roots, it may at least help with root mealies which are harder to get with the Ortho spray.
It is what it is!
mickthecactus

Post by mickthecactus »

Indeed. No termites here.

I shall report back on what we have.

I repot annually to try and ensure no problem and at my old house I was clear for 10 years. They reappeared after I used a temporary greenhouse whilst I moved. Didn’t know it was infected.
Gee.S
Site Admin

Post by Gee.S »

Seems miraculous that they haven't been introduced.
Agave

abborean
Ready to Bolt

Post by abborean »

http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/uk_news/77797.stm
But maybe they eradicated this initial infestation?
mickthecactus

Post by mickthecactus »

It was 23 years ago..,
Bryan Ickes
Rhizome

Post by Bryan Ickes »

I’ve seen several mentions about Ortho being an effective systemic pesticide. I recently discovered that I had a growing invasion of “Yucca Plant Bugs” (Halticotoma valida), which apparently have a particular interest in Filamentosa “Color Guards”, but they also went after the Aloifolia; probably other species as well. I researched and tested Sevin, and it completely eradicated the assailants.

Lacking much of an understanding of pesticides, I have never used them on my plants before. I have heard bad things about the potential harm for pets, walking barefoot in the grass, harm to pollinators, etc. but with a growing garden of diverse agave, yucca, opuntia, and other spikey specimens, I don’t want to assume such infestations won’t occur again.

Are Sevin or Ortho systemics that I should use preemptively, or only in response to seeing pests? Is one preferable to the other, given my goals and concerns?

Thanks folks!