Pylon TR miticide question

Use this section to discuss matters relating to any and all issues involving horticultural pest and disease management. This is where one posts unknown pest/damage photos for ID help.
Xanthoria
Ready to Bolt

Pylon TR miticide question

Post by Xanthoria »

I got a 2oz can of this after reading it was good on another thread. I have two plants I'm suspicious of. On receiving the can it appears to be a fogger though - directions say to place it on a surface at or above the plants in an enclosed space. https://betterplants.basf.us/products/p ... icide.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

So this cannot be used to spray one plant, then later another - it cannot stop spraying? I have to use the whole $30 can in one application?
Gee.S
Site Admin
USDA Zone: 9b

Re: Pylon TR miticide question

Post by Gee.S »

Never saw this (relatively) inexpensive little can offered before. Sorry, no help here, but thanks for the warning.
Agave
"American aloe plant," 1797, from Greek Agaue, proper name in mythology (mother of Pentheus), from agauos "noble," perhaps from agasthai "wonder at".

"Some talk the talk, others walk the walk, but I stalk the stalk"
Xanthoria
Ready to Bolt

Post by Xanthoria »

Gee, I bought it because you recommended it! :lol:

viewtopic.php?f=74&t=6765&p=30923&hilit=pylon#p30923" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Gee.S
Site Admin

Post by Gee.S »

Oh mannn... Just based upon the price, never used it myself. I shelled out the big bucks for Forbid, Judo and Avid.
Agave
"American aloe plant," 1797, from Greek Agaue, proper name in mythology (mother of Pentheus), from agauos "noble," perhaps from agasthai "wonder at".

Stan
Ready to Bolt
USDA Zone: 10a

Post by Stan »

I don't bother with anything but Bayer systemic. Kills all sucking bugs and fast and for at least a year. ALTMAN's uses it on all their Home Depot plants. It's a no fooling around liquid you mix with water. I hate oils and soaps.
If a strong spray of hose water wont work... I just go Bayer.
Hayward Ca. 75-80f summers,60f winters.
Gee.S
Site Admin

Post by Gee.S »

^ OK. Won't do squat to mites, tho... In fact, evidence suggests that insecticide applications can make mites WORSE, by eliminating natural predators.
Agave

Stan
Ready to Bolt

Post by Stan »

Its done in mealey's and thrips for me. Mites? Now that you mention it..I do now recall somebody said mites...can't feed deep enough? Mites..are we talking Aloe mites? Or indoor/greenhouse type mites or common outdoor mites...usually the type that fresh air- fans- kill off?
Gee.S
Site Admin

Post by Gee.S »

Eriophyid mites, aka Agave mites, Aloe mites, etc.
Agave

Stan
Ready to Bolt

Post by Stan »

All i can add on Aloe mites is..again.Altmans says on all there succulent plants "We use a systemic for all our plants" I would think with the many Aloe species they sell it would be a systemic that will kill mites.
Xanthoria might send Altman's an email and ask what systemic they actually use. They are not hiding it.
Gee.S
Site Admin

Post by Gee.S »

They almost certainly use multiple translaminar miticides as noted above, at least on agaves. Aloe mite is so much trouble, they probably toss infected plants. These translaminar miticides are residual in plant tissues for four weeks. That is systemic.

There are a couple of fine articles on eriophyid mites in the CSSA Journal. Read up.
Agave

Stan
Ready to Bolt

Post by Stan »

Well,its just that Altmans has done the thinking and has money on the line and would be happy to say "We use Mighty Miticide! It does wonders"...journals will probably mention a half dozen and do the usual, this one was 67% that one was 72%,but not on X bugs...Yada.
Just an idea for Xanthoria to get one answer with a name brand asap.
Stan
Ready to Bolt

Post by Stan »

The new old topic on miticides popped up Xanthoria...Avid and others are mentioned. What can you do when oils and soaps have zero effect? Either burn the plant or cure it with miticides.
MikeyDude
Ready to Bolt

Post by MikeyDude »

Bayer systemic imidacloprid does nothing to kill eriophyid mites. If anything, it gives you a false sense of security. It also may delay or hold down mites to a low, slow burn deep down inside the agave or aloe core, then once you stop the application, the plant will explode with mites and also transfer themselves on all your plants in the adjacent areas.

Mites are so hard to ever get rid of, one would be lucky to permanently get rid of them using the best regimen of miticides such as Avid, Forbid and other systemic miticides. I use 3 different ones and always rotate the type and try to apply, based on current need,between 45 and 90 day intervals.

Anytime I get a shipment from PDN or Altmans or any other mail order nursery I dispose of all shipping material and packing immediately, spray the plants and isolate them until I can see new emerging clean tissue in the meristem.