Unknown Eggs on Aloe

Use this section to discuss matters relating to any and all issues involving horticultural pest and disease management. This is where one posts unknown pest/damage photos for ID help.
toditd
Ready to Bolt

Unknown Eggs on Aloe

Post by toditd »

As I was out watering and checking on plants tonight by flashlight a slivery white glint caught my eye as my light crossed over my Ghost aloe (Aloe striata hybrid). "Whoa, backup, what was that?" Wedged between a couple upper leaves was a mass of white. I immediately thought mealy bugs. A closer inspection with a magnifying glass revealed what looked like a mass of eggs. I got out my camera with a macro lens and took a few photos. Anyone recognize what these might be?
IMG_3024.jpg
IMG_3024.jpg (31.86 KiB) Viewed 2613 times
IMG_3025.jpg
IMG_3025.jpg (47.4 KiB) Viewed 2613 times
After I took the photos I moved the plant away from others and gave it a good hard blast with water from the hose to clean it all out. I inspected other nearby plants and didn't find anything on any other plants, but gave a few other aloes a cleaning blast also just in case.
mcvansoest
Location: Tempe, Arizona, USA ie. Low Desert & Urban Heat Island
USDA Zone: 9a/b

Re: Unknown Eggs on Aloe

Post by mcvansoest »

I do not recognize what they might be if they are eggs...

What has me wondering about them being eggs is the range in size of the eggs. would you not expect eggs from one particular bug to be much more similar in size?

I wonder if it is not a little deposit of very nicely rounded quartz sand?
It is what it is!
toditd
Ready to Bolt

Post by toditd »

I, too, was also curious about the jumble of a wide range of sizes, expecting eggs to be more uniform. Although I didn't feel or touch them, to my eye they looked soft. I don't know where sand like this would come from or how it would get there. I don't have any sand or use sand in potting mix.

Another thought was that it might me "honeydew" balls from aphids or other plant sucking bugs, maybe even farmed by ants. I found a photo on BugGuide that looks quite similar.
mcvansoest
Location: Tempe, Arizona, USA ie. Low Desert & Urban Heat Island
USDA Zone: 9a/b

Post by mcvansoest »

Those balls looks very similar... I think you probably found what it is.

I did feel that quartz sand was a bit of reach, but at that point it was the only thing I could come up with.
It is what it is!
toditd
Ready to Bolt

Post by toditd »

After a little more research, I'm pretty sure this was honeydew balls from aphids in the genus Eriosoma. I think that the darker object at the top of the 2nd image to the right of the balls is one of the aphids.

The day after I cleaned them out with blasting water, a few honeydew balls appeared, not the mass of balls like above, just a few. And I also noticed ants that I didn't see the night before. So I treated with an insecticide which listed both aphids and ants. I treated again a day later as a few more balls showed up. It has been 5 days now and no reappearance of aphids or ants. I may treat it with a systemic later, and I'll put an ant barrier on the stand that it is on to discourage ants from climbing into the pot.

I did examine the few balls that showed up later and they were soft and sticky. So, not quartz sand.