Agave Snout Weevil

Use this forum to help with identification issues and treatment for a variety of common afflictions pertinent to our favorite horticultural charges.
Forum rules
This section is dedicated toward maintaining one active thread for each plant pest and disease. Please feel free to add information and/or photos to existing threads or start your own pest thread by adding the common name of the pest or malady as the thread subject. Note that listings are displayed alphabetically. Enjoy!
Gee.S
Site Admin
USDA Zone: 9b

Agave Snout Weevil

Post by Gee.S »

Weevil
Weevil
Untitled-2.jpg (32.7 KiB) Viewed 13247 times
Weeviled
Weeviled
Untitled-1.jpg (59.01 KiB) Viewed 13247 times
Agave Snout Weevils.pdf

Snout Weevils.pdf
Agave
"American aloe plant," 1797, from Greek Agaue, proper name in mythology (mother of Pentheus), from agauos "noble," perhaps from agasthai "wonder at".

"Some talk the talk, others walk the walk, but I stalk the stalk"
Gee.S
Site Admin

Re: Agave Snout Weevil treatment time

Post by Gee.S »

I usually go weeviling mid-March, then again mid-May per DBG regimen, but it does make sense to bump that up a bit, considering how warm it has been. With more than 200 Agaves in the ground, this is a major chore that may take me 2-3 days to complete.
Agave
"American aloe plant," 1797, from Greek Agaue, proper name in mythology (mother of Pentheus), from agauos "noble," perhaps from agasthai "wonder at".

Gee.S
Site Admin

Post by Gee.S »

I rotate two 5-gal buckets and unceremoniously dump a bunch of imidacloprid water on plants by hunch/feel. Nearly the whole bucket for my largest plants. Very unscientific, but knock on wood, I haven't lost a plant to weevils yet, and they're dropping like flies all around me. I just try to think how much water if I were hand watering all my plants this way...
Agave

mcvansoest
Location: Tempe, Arizona, USA ie. Low Desert & Urban Heat Island
USDA Zone: 9a/b

Post by mcvansoest »

Hi Ron,

Yeah my approach to the snout weevil treatment is very similar. For the smaller plants I use a watering can and for the large plants a bucket. For the smaller plants I use the stuff that is more of an on leaf/plant application while for the larger plants I use one that is best administered around the plant so it can absorb through the roots.
It is what it is!
Gee.S
Site Admin

Re: Agave Snout Weevil

Post by Gee.S »

An important note regarding the application of imidaclorprid as a drench, per recommendation. Pesticide instructions for snout weevil are absent on product labels, and those references available on labels seem difficult to interpret for this kind of application.

I was instructed long ago to mix 1 oz. per gallon of 1.47% solution (this is a fairly standard mix), then water plants as if one were watering normally by hand. I don't know if this is ideal, but it is effective and does no apparent harm to Agaves. I do know this seems rather vague in terms of chemical quantity applied, but understand that Agaves tolerate imidaclorprid extremely well, and can withstand a dose larger than intended without suffering damage.

==========================================================================================================================================
[center]Special note of caution: Do not treat bolting/blooming Agaves, and please take every precaution to avoid runoff directed toward nearby plants of any kind that may bloom within a few weeks of application. We do not want treated blooms passing toxins onto our pollinators.[/center]
Agave

mcvansoest

Post by mcvansoest »

Not the greatest picture attached here, but this is a close up of the damage done both by bacterial rot and the weevil grubs and weevils themselves. This was a big Agave weberi that I did not treat for weevils because it was bolting. The stalk got to about 20 feet tall just about to start developing its panicles before the damage got so bad that the top of the plant including stalk completely fell over.

I fully agree with Gee's treatment process, but given our mild winters here I am considering adding a Fall treatment to the late Winter and mid Spring treatments as I suspect that this plant got infested in the late Fall rather than late Winter. The last two winters here in Mesa we have probably had three nights at or slightly below freezing total which makes we wonder if weevil activity just does not slow down in such cases.
IMG_0537.jpg
IMG_0537.jpg (69.97 KiB) Viewed 13209 times
It is what it is!
Melt in the Sun
Ready to Bolt

Post by Melt in the Sun »

Time to treat! Found a couple of these little bastards in one of my blue glows.
Attachments
20180323_151115.jpg
20180323_151115.jpg (38.43 KiB) Viewed 13056 times
Melt in the Sun
Ready to Bolt

Post by Melt in the Sun »

'tis the season! This guy was already dead...preemptive treatment is always best.
Attachments
20200408_175933_resized.jpg
20200408_175933_resized.jpg (209.06 KiB) Viewed 11936 times
20200408_175938_resized.jpg
20200408_175938_resized.jpg (68.09 KiB) Viewed 11936 times
20200408_175942_resized.jpg
20200408_175942_resized.jpg (51.38 KiB) Viewed 11936 times
mcvansoest

Post by mcvansoest »

Yeah, it is on the to do list, am late this year - very few Agaves growing in other yards close to the new place which means what I have in the ground is either fine or they are all 'it' already. Seen no signs though.
It is what it is!
abborean
Ready to Bolt

Post by abborean »

Melt in the Sun wrote:'tis the season! This guy was already dead...preemptive treatment is always best.
I know it's late to comment on this MITS but the adults bore into the bud and the larvae eat down into the base. If you just see them eating a little hole in the top they can be stopped from killing the plant with your usual systemic.
bigdaddyscondition
Ready to Bolt

Post by bigdaddyscondition »

Melt, sorry you lost that beautiful A. impressa (?) to the evil weevil. I'm looking at mcvansoest's August 15, 2017 comment in this thread, and I am nodding my head in agreement. One imidacloprid drench in the springtime has protected all my agaves for the last several years, until this year.

A couple of months before this A. gentryi 'Jaws' (see photo) began showing any sign of spiking (sometime in August), the central leaves lost turgor, with several leaves narrowing, wilting, and even bending over. I suspected weevil infestation despite my having treated the plant in March with imidacloprid drench, the unceremonious dump technique of Gee. So I immediately treated the plant again, and I suspect I arrested the weevil activity, if not the bacterial rot. The plant is still obviously viable, and I still see none of the classic proximal leaf pallor and loss of turgor.

Lessons learned:

1) Agave gentryi 'Jaws' is one of the species that the agave snout weevil prefers. This suspicion of mine was confirmed by John Trager, Curator of Desert Collections at the Huntington, in a phone conversation last month.

2) In my area at least, more than one treatment per year is necessary. Going forward, I plan to treat all my agaves with an imidacloprid drench in the fall, in addition to the March treatment I've been doing.

3) Mature agaves that are about to spike seem to attract the weevils. I suspect this is because of the high concentration of carbohydrate nutrients in the meristem and developing inflorescence. It also presents the dilemma of whether to treat a plant that soon will flower, offering imidacloprid-tainted nectar to pollinators. Increasingly for me, the solution to that problem has been to cut down the stalk before it flowers.

a. gentryi.jpg
a. gentryi.jpg (219.28 KiB) Viewed 9785 times
mickthecactus

Post by mickthecactus »

There is some suggestion this pest may have arrived in the UK possibly via Portugal.