Spider Mite

Use this forum to help with identification issues and treatment for a variety of common afflictions pertinent to our favorite horticultural charges.
Forum rules
This section is dedicated toward maintaining one active thread for each plant pest and disease. Please feel free to add information and/or photos to existing threads or start your own pest thread by adding the common name of the pest or malady as the thread subject. Note that listings are displayed alphabetically. Enjoy!
Gee.S
Site Admin
USDA Zone: 9b

Spider Mite

Post by Gee.S »

How To:

How Not To:
Agave
"American aloe plant," 1797, from Greek Agaue, proper name in mythology (mother of Pentheus), from agauos "noble," perhaps from agasthai "wonder at".

"Some talk the talk, others walk the walk, but I stalk the stalk"
Stone Jaguar
Ready to Bolt

Re: Spider Mite

Post by Stone Jaguar »

I assume that this a "How-to" not to use pesticides. At least he wasn't having a smoke while spraying and he didn't spray completely in the nude :lol:

No mask, no gloves, short-sleeves, (seems likely short pants, too), apparently no understanding that roses are one of the most attractive host plants for spider mites, doesn't know?/mention that permethrin is a non-selective insecticide so takes out predators and bees as well...the list goes on.

He is essentially correct that many general-use garden pesticides, incl. permethrin and Bayer Advanced 3-in-1 (and malathion), should suppress mite populations back long enough to finish a tomato crop. His looks too far along to save. Wouldn't care to sample his produce, that's for sure.

These kind of examples are the worst. While everyone cheats with regard to personal safety from time to time, it should not be the model on which to base your instructional video.

J
Gee.S
Site Admin

Post by Gee.S »

Good point.

I have had spider mite issues with a couple of my Yuccas, and found Avid extremely effective. Ideally, remove (or at least thin) dead leaves, and blast with a strong hose stream first.
Agave
"American aloe plant," 1797, from Greek Agaue, proper name in mythology (mother of Pentheus), from agauos "noble," perhaps from agasthai "wonder at".

Gee.S
Site Admin

Post by Gee.S »

Stone Jaguar wrote:I assume that this a "How-to" not to use pesticides. At least he wasn't having a smoke while spraying and he didn't spray completely in the nude :lol:

No mask, no gloves, short-sleeves, (apparently short pants, too), apparently no understanding that roses are one of the most attractive host plants for spider mites, doesn't know?/mention that permethrin is a non-selective insecticide so takes out predators and bees as well...the list goes on.

He is essentially correct that many general-use garden pesticides, incl. permethrin and Bayer Advanced 3-in-1 (and malathion), should suppress mite populations back long enough to finish a tomato crop. His looks too far along to save. Wouldn't care to sample his produce, that's for sure.

These kind of examples are the worst. While everyone cheats with regard to personal safety from time to time, it should not be the model on which to base your instructional video.

J
OK I added another vid to the OP. Hard to find anything not for indoor, and specifically, cannabis use.
Agave

Azuleja
Ready to Bolt

Post by Azuleja »

No kidding, almost everything I try to look up about miticides is posted by hydro growers. The general weed smoking public has no idea how many growth hormones and chems go into that product.
Stone Jaguar
Ready to Bolt

Post by Stone Jaguar »

Avid/abamectin and Bayer 3-In-1 for garden use in rotation will usually suppress spider mite population outdoors for enough time for predators to check populations again. Indoors and greenhouses are another challenge entirely (uuf!!!)*

No-one knows more about spider and russet mite control than the advanced indoor cannabis-growing community. Clean growers have started afresh and use strict entry and exit protocols to avoid infestation from these often dust-borne critters. Bad news is that grossly irresponsible use of chemical miticides by some weed growers is essentially the reason several very good labels are not licensed for ornamental hort in California. Extra bad news is if you smoke their product. Yikes!

*Insert long string of dirtiest words imaginable to describe my fear & loathing of two spots.
Agavemonger
Ready to Bolt

Post by Agavemonger »

Yeah, pot can be grown outside with virtually no pest problems.

Growing it indoors virtually guarantees a severe problem with Spider Mites, and consequentially a regular spray program with who knows what pesticides.

Put that in your pipe and smoke it!

(On second thought...) :shock: :eek:

The Monger
Stone Jaguar
Ready to Bolt

Post by Stone Jaguar »

Indeed.

Just visited an acquaintance on the coast who had some of the most beautiful-looking weed plants in his garden I've ever stumbled into. My brother commented that he did not recall having ever seen that shade of green before. Plants have never seen a lick of ag chem or packaged ferts. In contrast, the high tech, four plus crop x year indoor producers of clonal cannabis that I have exchanged lies with fairly recently seem pretty frustrated with mites and their control.
otismcCord

Post by otismcCord »

One of my cousin friend is also going through same situation.
Viegener
Ready to Bolt
USDA Zone: 10b

Post by Viegener »

Interesting. My tomato plants are decimated by spider mites early July every year. Nothing seems to work on them (nothing that I'd put on an edible plant), but on the other hand they seem to explode in number over a week or so.
mickthecactus

Post by mickthecactus »

I once lost one of the rarest Aloes, haemanthifolia, to red spider mite. It got right into the heart of the plant completely unnoticed by me until it was too late.
Gee.S
Site Admin

Post by Gee.S »

Yes Mick, got to pay attention. First sign I notice is a discoloration. If I pay attention and show due concern at that point, a few quick squirts and not much damage. But ignore it, and those little barstards can do incredible damage in very little time once they've settled in.
Agave

Gee.S
Site Admin

Post by Gee.S »

Spider mites attacking agave in habitat. Only time I have ever seen this.

Agave

Gee.S
Site Admin

Post by Gee.S »

Per a recommendation from @agavegreg, I have applied Dimethoate, the only product I have found that boasts strong efficacy against spider mites when applied as a systemic drench, to a large (12') Yucca rostrata that was almost continuously haunted by these little beasties. Three weeks later, all heads on the Yucca have noticeably better color, so I am encouraged. At this size, it is very difficult to apply miticides via spray.

Yucca rostrata
Yucca rostrata
yr.jpg (151.82 KiB) Viewed 5207 times
Agave