Running Bug

Use this forum to help with identification issues and treatment for a variety of common afflictions pertinent to our favorite horticultural charges.
Forum rules
This section is dedicated toward maintaining one active thread for each plant pest and disease. Please feel free to add information and/or photos to existing threads or start your own pest thread by adding the common name of the pest or malady as the thread subject. Note that listings are displayed alphabetically. Enjoy!
Gee.S
Site Admin
USDA Zone: 9b

Running Bug

Post by Gee.S »

Caulotops barberi, small bugs measuring about 0.6 inches (1.6mm) long, which attack Agaves and other succulents. Large populations may be found on given plants, with damaging numbers developing late summer or early fall. Bugs feed on leaves and cause a light yellow-tan scar at the point of feeding. If left untreated, plants will decline and eventually die. We see huge populations of Agaves across Arizona just decimated by running bugs. Damage is extremely unsightly.

Caulotops barberi may be controlled by using insecticidal soap or a broad spectrum ornamental plant insecticide. Chemicals should be applied in early morning or late evening when the bugs are most active. Several applications of the insecticidal material may be needed, and complete control may be beyond reach. I know of one prominent Tucson nursery so frustrated by running bugs, it is seriously considering dropping Agaves from its horticultural offerings.

Running Bug
Agave
"American aloe plant," 1797, from Greek Agaue, proper name in mythology (mother of Pentheus), from agauos "noble," perhaps from agasthai "wonder at".

"Some talk the talk, others walk the walk, but I stalk the stalk"
Gee.S
Site Admin

Re: Running Bug

Post by Gee.S »

ImageImage
Agave
"American aloe plant," 1797, from Greek Agaue, proper name in mythology (mother of Pentheus), from agauos "noble," perhaps from agasthai "wonder at".

Gee.S
Site Admin

Post by Gee.S »

Running bug damage.

Agave

jam
Ready to Bolt
USDA Zone: 7a/b

Post by jam »

@Gee.S Not that it matters but the name of the bug has been recently changed to Agaveocoris barberi (Henry and Menard, 2020).
Setting up a Chihuahuan laboratory.
Gee.S
Site Admin

Post by Gee.S »

News to me, thanks.
Agave