puya alpestris in Z8

Use this forum to discuss matters relating to xeric Bromeliads such as Hechtia, Dyckia, Puya, Tillandsia and related species. This is where one posts unknown plant photos for ID help.
greenghost
Bulbil

puya alpestris in Z8

Post by greenghost »

Puya alpestris was my first bromeliad, planted in the ground here in Z8 Las Cruces last February. Handled its first winter well, though there was some dispute (from what I could tell) about how low it would handle. It wasn't a really cold winter this year -- so we'll see about its long term viability.

I am hoping it will bloom this summer so my wife will stop wondering why I planted it. But I guess that is asking a lot...
Attachments
Puya alpestris after first winter
Puya alpestris after first winter
puya alpestris (1 year).JPG (159.06 KiB) Viewed 1718 times
Melt in the Sun
Ready to Bolt
USDA Zone: 9b

Re: puya alpestris in Z8

Post by Melt in the Sun »

How cold did it get this year? I've always kept mine covered below 30ish, since I am unsure how low it could take.

Mine has been in the ground for 5 1/2 years now and still no blooms; I got it about the same size as yours :frown: It started clumping after a year or two and now is a bit of an ugly mess, with wind-blown garbage always daring me to reach in a grab it. Honestly, it takes up a fair bit of space and is the ugliest plant in the yard! I still hope it will all be worth it one of these years.
greenghost
Bulbil

Post by greenghost »

The coldest night this year was 15F. Some of the leaf damage in the pic, is actually hail damage from the summer; but some is from the cold.

Disheartening to hear that yours hasn't bloomed. I've been planning on keeping the suckers trimmed out a bit, but don't know how feasible that is.
Melt in the Sun
Ready to Bolt

15 huh...sounds like I can stop worrying about it. Thanks for that info!

On another forum someone told me that it took 8 years from seed to first bloom, in inland California. So, I'm hoping mine will go sometime soon. They bloom in April in Los Angeles, so I am keeping an eye on mine right now...
greenghost
Bulbil

Post by greenghost »

I had heard five years from seed, but since I don't know how old my plant is that info wasn't so informative. Annie's Annuals says that theirs (Bay area) bloomed in its second year in the ground. So I was hoping for at least third year in the ground. Guess not :?
Melt in the Sun
Ready to Bolt

Just as a bit of encouragement here's mine in all it's glory: ::roll::
Attachments
20160305_144432_resized.jpg
20160305_144432_resized.jpg (169.85 KiB) Viewed 1637 times