A few shots around the garden...

Use this forum to discuss matters relating to Agave, Beschorneria, Furcraea, Hesperaloe, Hesperoyucca, Manfreda, Polianthes, Yucca and related species. This is where one posts unknown plant photos for ID help.
Gee.S
Site Admin
USDA Zone: 9b

Re: A few shots around the garden...

Post by Gee.S »

A couple of my favorite Agaves looking forward to the return of Spring...
A_Bloomers 003.JPG
A_Bloomers 003.JPG (142.83 KiB) Viewed 3896 times
A_Bloomers 009.JPG
A_Bloomers 009.JPG (151.73 KiB) Viewed 3896 times
Agave
"American aloe plant," 1797, from Greek Agaue, proper name in mythology (mother of Pentheus), from agauos "noble," perhaps from agasthai "wonder at".

"Some talk the talk, others walk the walk, but I stalk the stalk"
Gee.S
Site Admin

Post by Gee.S »

A few random shots. The A. pachycentra was pretty severely frost damaged before being chewed nearly to the ground less than a year ago. I almost tossed it. Pretty astonishing recovery, if you ask me.
A. pachycentra
A. pachycentra
lemon 015.JPG (75.88 KiB) Viewed 3876 times
This is an offset that popped up between A. 'Mr. Ripple' and A. wercklei. No clue.... A. wercklei is solitary, and it doesn't look anything like a Mr. Ripple offset I removed from the plant referenced.
????
????
lemon 016.JPG (70.34 KiB) Viewed 3876 times
Then we have a variegated neomex with several dead older leaves. I'd guess it didn't appreciate our unusually soggy winter.
A. parryi ssp. neomexicana
A. parryi ssp. neomexicana
lemon 001.JPG (160.25 KiB) Viewed 3876 times
Agave
"American aloe plant," 1797, from Greek Agaue, proper name in mythology (mother of Pentheus), from agauos "noble," perhaps from agasthai "wonder at".

Spination
Ready to Bolt

Post by Spination »

Great recovery.

And, I'm drooling...you know why. :lol:
Gee.S
Site Admin

Post by Gee.S »

See those little offsets? They're AT LEAST two years old, and I can just barely see 'em without a magnifying glass. ::roll::
Agave

Spination
Ready to Bolt

Post by Spination »

Of course I saw them... that's why I'm drooling! :lol:

I also have some yet small variegated offsets that I've been waiting on forever (parryi Parryi, palmeri, asperrima). By the time yours and mine are big enough, perhaps you could be enticed into a trade? D))
Gee.S
Site Admin

Post by Gee.S »

Yeah, we'll do a trade for our 80th birthdays.... :frown:
Agave

Spination
Ready to Bolt

Post by Spination »

That sounds promising... D))
KLC
Ready to Bolt

Post by KLC »

Gee.S wrote: Then we have a variegated neomex with several dead older leaves. I'd guess it didn't appreciate our unusually soggy winter.
lemon 001.JPG
There were many agaves in my collection that did not appreciate all of the rain we had over the winter. Along with a few dozen that rotten in the nursery, there is a A. havardiana in the garden I have been growing for at least 3 or 4 years that has decided to let it's lower leaves go. Maybe the warmer weather will slow down it's demise. A. applanata also followed down that path. Both plants have been very slow growing, maybe their slow vigor had something to do with it.
Don't California my Arizona!
Viegener
Ready to Bolt
USDA Zone: 10b

Post by Viegener »

Sorry about all these winter losses, but I'm glad I'm not the only one. Monger mentioned on another thread that the wet winter also much increased the amount of fungal spores floating around. This sounds right to me, based on the number of wet-sensitive agaves I lost this winter despite having moved them under cover. Most of them got moved under shelter, but I didn't do this until about 1/3 of the way in. I think some of them had already gotten some rot.
DesertDweller
Ready to Bolt

Post by DesertDweller »

KLC wrote:
Gee.S wrote: Then we have a variegated neomex with several dead older leaves. I'd guess it didn't appreciate our unusually soggy winter.
There were many agaves in my collection that did not appreciate all of the rain we had over the winter. Along with a few dozen that rotten in the nursery, there is a A. havardiana in the garden I have been growing for at least 3 or 4 years that has decided to let it's lower leaves go. Maybe the warmer weather will slow down it's demise. A. applanata also followed down that path. Both plants have been very slow growing, maybe their slow vigor had something to do with it.
I have been fortunate, perhaps even lucky, that my (in my opinion) liberal watering did not overlap any of the big rains we had. I did make a concerted effort to watch the forecast and not have them be anything other than bone dry if rain was actually a possibility. Stuff on the porch is "safe" from the evils of excessive rain, but on the side of the house, my 'agave row' has more than once ended up sitting in two inches of standing water for a few hours until things drained off.

Oddly, my only real loss was a pair of plants that I think must have had something tagging along when I bought it. A 3-gallon or so sized A. parryi v. huachucensis and its pup, both of which, despite conservative watering, came down with some strange (fungal?) ailment. Seemed to flare up in the cold, humid days of winter rain. It never spread, and while momma and pup were both separated for months by this time, they both took a dive, hence me thinking it was something lying dormant the whole time. My other A. parryi v. huachucensis are untouched, despite being from the same batch in the same nursery. Nothing I tried could save this one, or the pup, ended up tossing both. They would appear to recover for a while, but as soon as it got cold and damp again, I would go out and, literally overnight, more leaves would have succumbed. :(

Anyone seen this sorta thing in cold weather before? Leaf tips browning out like this, overnight in some cases, was surreal. I could not believe how fast it progressed. Not sure how well it shows on the pics, but there was also some kind of yellow spotting and what looked like goose bumps.

Mother plant:
sick_agave_1.JPG
sick_agave_1.JPG (86.78 KiB) Viewed 3847 times
sick_agave_2.JPG
sick_agave_2.JPG (35.34 KiB) Viewed 3847 times
sick_agave_3.JPG
sick_agave_3.JPG (73.76 KiB) Viewed 3847 times
The pup (on the left, one on the right just has regular desiccation of old leaves and to this day is fine):
sick_agave_pup.JPG
sick_agave_pup.JPG (74.49 KiB) Viewed 3847 times
As I said, never spread to anything, thankfully, but disappointing none the less.
KLC
Ready to Bolt

Post by KLC »

Seen that a bunch. I'm not so sure it's caused by a pathogen though, I think it is environment induced. Depending on how loaded the cells are with water, cold weather does some strange things to agaves.

Rot almost always starts at the base of the leaf, unless it begins in a black circle in the middle. Often times only the tightly folded new leaves will rot. If you have patience, a new core might regrow. I toss 'em though.
Don't California my Arizona!
Azuleja
Ready to Bolt

Post by Azuleja »

Yes, I got a mail order nursery plant with these symptoms. One leaf after another succumbed to fungal infection that started at the tip and worked inward rapidly. I stopped it by cutting off all the leaves that showed black spots and spraying with a systemic fungicide. Copper solution didn't slow it down one bit.
Melt in the Sun
Ready to Bolt

Post by Melt in the Sun »

When I see little round bumps like that I think "bacteria". Not sure why...maybe an old Xeric world thread?
Viegener
Ready to Bolt
USDA Zone: 10b

Post by Viegener »

I'm not fooling around with copper anymore in the winter. Systemic fungicides only, despite my pretty much no-spray attitude.

What systemic fungicides are you people using?
DesertDweller
Ready to Bolt

Post by DesertDweller »

Azuleja wrote:Yes, I got a mail order nursery plant with these symptoms. One leaf after another succumbed to fungal infection that started at the tip and worked inward rapidly. I stopped it by cutting off all the leaves that showed black spots and spraying with a systemic fungicide. Copper solution didn't slow it down one bit.
I tried liberal applications of daconil, repeatedly on this guy, as well as sulfur fungicide. Did absolutely nothing to abate the issue. What is your systemic of choice these days? I am willing to try something more aggressive if it ever happens again before having to toss a plant.
Azuleja
Ready to Bolt

Post by Azuleja »

I used Bayer 3-in-1, which I know isn't the best but I had it on hand. I believe it's tebuconazole. Prior to that, I treated 3 separate times with copper solution.
Gee.S
Site Admin

Post by Gee.S »

Y. rostrata / M. 'Macho Mocha' blooming
Y. rostrata / M. 'Macho Mocha' blooming
rostrata 001.JPG (178.68 KiB) Viewed 3820 times
A. chiapensis
A. chiapensis
rostrata 006.JPG (141.26 KiB) Viewed 3820 times
A. murpheyi
A. murpheyi
rostrata 009.JPG (136.86 KiB) Viewed 3820 times
A. tequilana / A. 'Blue Glow' / A. titanota-ish / A. chiapensis / A. shawii ssp. goldmaniana / A. guadalajarana / A. vilmoriniana 'Stained Glass' / A. murpheyi
A. tequilana / A. 'Blue Glow' / A. titanota-ish / A. chiapensis / A. shawii ssp. goldmaniana / A. guadalajarana / A. vilmoriniana 'Stained Glass' / A. murpheyi
rostrata 014.JPG (150.05 KiB) Viewed 3820 times
A. wocomahi finally going to bolt after lying ready for a whole year
A. wocomahi finally going to bolt after lying ready for a whole year
rostrata 017.JPG (95.04 KiB) Viewed 3820 times
Agave cauliflower, hopefully bulbils to follow
Agave cauliflower, hopefully bulbils to follow
rostrata 018.JPG (51.63 KiB) Viewed 3820 times
A. angustifolia / Hooded Oriole
A. angustifolia / Hooded Oriole
rostrata 019.JPG (79.57 KiB) Viewed 3820 times
The green Agave in the middle is 'Emerald Envy' and about 5' across.
The green Agave in the middle is 'Emerald Envy' and about 5' across.
rostrata 022.JPG (102.92 KiB) Viewed 3820 times
Agave

Gee.S
Site Admin

Post by Gee.S »

And some new acquisitions... Because I clearly don't have enough Agaves already... ::roll::

Left to right we have A. wercklei, M. 'Silver Leopard', and A. schidigera.
newgnu 004.JPG
newgnu 004.JPG (95.84 KiB) Viewed 3805 times
Agave

Jkwinston
Ready to Bolt

Post by Jkwinston »

Gee.S wrote:And some new acquisitions... Because I clearly don't have enough Agaves already... ::roll::

Left to right we have A. wercklei, M. 'Silver Leopard', and A. schidigera.
newgnu 004.JPG
Really? Jkw
Agave_fan
Ready to Bolt

Post by Agave_fan »

Gee.S wrote:And some new acquisitions... Because I clearly don't have enough Agaves already... ::roll::
No one can EVER have enough agaves...

I like the new babies
Gee.S
Site Admin

Post by Gee.S »

I've just completed a garden tour and was struck by the following....
weberi 007.JPG
weberi 007.JPG (184.9 KiB) Viewed 3722 times
As an experiment I added a really sun-sensitive A. marmorata to the grounds late last autumn in the hopes it might miraculously adapt. So far, so good -- it looks absolutely terrific and no longer yellows from exposure. I'll probably pull and discard large offsets to maximize growth.
weberi 008.JPG
weberi 008.JPG (91.88 KiB) Viewed 3722 times
Young seedling tray still out of doors into June. Another successful experiment.
weberi 013.JPG
weberi 013.JPG (92.52 KiB) Viewed 3722 times
A. hurteri stalk still in process of blooming. I had long since abandoned any hope of seed, when lo and behold! This welcome change seems to coincide with a blooming A. chrysantha out in front. A. hurteri × chrysantha anyone?
weberi 015.JPG
weberi 015.JPG (135.94 KiB) Viewed 3722 times
A. arizonica will soon bloom. Ancillary stalks are already blooming. I pulled the nicest offset and potted it up late last summer.
weberi 017.JPG
weberi 017.JPG (163.51 KiB) Viewed 3722 times
I just noticed this Starr Nursery A. sobria is starting to look interesting.
weberi 019.JPG
weberi 019.JPG (60.26 KiB) Viewed 3722 times
Bulbils forming on a UFO Agave. No clue, but it's attractive and well-suited for life in AZ sun, always a plus! Below is a shot before it bloomed.
weberi 020.JPG
weberi 020.JPG (112.88 KiB) Viewed 3722 times
A. durangensis (left) is really coming into its own. It's actually starting to give my A. guadalajarana a run for the money!
weberi 023.JPG
weberi 023.JPG (136.17 KiB) Viewed 3722 times
A. asperrima added late last summer. It's getting lit up and struggling just a bit, but newer leaves seem to be adapting to full sun.
weberi 024.JPG
weberi 024.JPG (157.52 KiB) Viewed 3722 times
A. seemannniana ssp. pygmae added to ground last autumn as an experiment. So far, it's handling AZ sun like a champ.
Agave

toditd
Ready to Bolt

Post by toditd »

Gee.S wrote:A. durangensis (left) is really coming into its own. It's actually starting to give my A. guadalajarana a run for the money!
That may be true, but for me the A. guadalajarana steals the show. That's a fantastic plant! Thanks for the quick tour.
Azuleja
Ready to Bolt

Post by Azuleja »

^those two together are very complementary and especially beautiful.
Gee.S
Site Admin

Post by Gee.S »

Azuleja wrote:^those two together are very complementary and especially beautiful.
I'm with you Azul! That guadalajarana has looked terrific for years, while the durangensis was just the ugly duckling next door. Not so any more!
Agave

Steph115
Ready to Bolt

Post by Steph115 »

Thank you for sharing these photos of your garden. The composition is really breathtaking. That photo of the durangensis and the guadalajarana is probably my favorite. They look like soldiers guarding the entryway to the little cacti right behind them.