Anybody grown Cipocereus bradei or other Cipocereus?

Use this forum to discuss matters relating to Cacti genera too plentiful to enumerate. This is where one posts unknown plant photos for ID help.

Moderator: mcvansoest

Stan
Ready to Bolt
USDA Zone: 10a

Anybody grown Cipocereus bradei or other Cipocereus?

Post by Stan »

There isnt a lot of info or photos of thriving blue cacti species of Brazil grown in California. Its not easy overall..if not very happy,the blue fades to various greens. This one is especially attractive because the blossom are blue..not the flowers- but the stem of the flowers are large and with the blue look like vases. its also has black thorns. You could really do an artistic display with this one..IF you have a warm almost frost free climate.
Hayward Ca. 75-80f summers,60f winters.
Minime8484
Offset

Re: Anybody grown Cipocereus bradei or other Cipocereus?

Post by Minime8484 »

I grow three species: Cipocereus bradei, C. minensis, and C. crassisepalus. Would love to grow other species, but they are virtually unknown in cultivation. I don't have any issues with frost as long as they are dry in the winter. I'm in the Phoenix area, so not much frost the last couple of Winters anyhow.
Stan
Ready to Bolt

Post by Stan »

Photos? Thanks!
Viegener
Ready to Bolt
USDA Zone: 10b

Post by Viegener »

The few Cipocereus I've encountered are mostly already fading to green, but I haven't tried growing them. On the other hand my 4 or 5 (or 6? I suspect many are mislabelled) Pilosocereus are a beautiful blazing blue. I learned right away not to plant these anywhere near the front because they are pretty quickly decapitated. They do resprout, bluer than ever, but wth? Even on them, the blue fades on older trunks, so when mine get there I will restart from cuttings. They root easily in the summer.
Stan
Ready to Bolt

Post by Stan »

Photo's Vie,we want photos! Geoff had them growing fast=blue. Thats the way to get them blue head to toe. Tarzana aves' like 95f in August...so that and the mild winters grow them very well.
What you said about them being decapitated? Ugh,had that done a few times too with columnar cacti. Just when Organ pipe looked great- the top was missing one day. One huge reason my best plants arent in front of my home.
Viegener
Ready to Bolt
USDA Zone: 10b

Post by Viegener »

Will work on pix