Beaucarnea almost in full bloom.

Use this forum to discuss matters relating to Beaucarnea, Calibanus, Cordyline, Dasylirion, Dracaena, Nolina, Sansevieria and related species.

Moderator: Spination

Stan
Ready to Bolt
USDA Zone: 10a

Beaucarnea almost in full bloom.

Post by Stan »

I very often have cars parked in front ( city life) so I took these with only one in front of me. A cloudy day too. But better post now in case I miss the main bloom. Its not yearly. Plus,this years many bloom stalks is best I've seen.
These are not as large as in hotter summer areas..but nice enough. This plant in total is over 25 years old. Maybe near 30. Planted in ground in 1992.
Attachments
IMG_7287.JPG
IMG_7287.JPG (167.41 KiB) Viewed 1209 times
IMG_7286x.jpg
IMG_7286x.jpg (204.09 KiB) Viewed 1209 times
Hayward Ca. 75-80f summers,60f winters.
mcvansoest
Location: Tempe, Arizona, USA ie. Low Desert & Urban Heat Island
USDA Zone: 9a/b

Re: Beaucarnea almost in full bloom.

Post by mcvansoest »

Stan, your front yard looks awesome. Love to see that beaucarnea in bloom!
It is what it is!
Steph115
Ready to Bolt

Post by Steph115 »

Beautiful specimen. Love that huge elephant foot on the skinny "ankle"!
Stan
Ready to Bolt

Post by Stan »

Thanks Mac. Always refining. Even with a small yard you can change things up when it gets stale.

Steph, Beaucarnea wont reach the immense sizes it does in southern states. Here in the bay area they tend to keep that "Teardrop" shape. Of the couple others I've seen and mine? That's the trend.
Steph115
Ready to Bolt

Post by Steph115 »

Very interesting. I received one as a gift in May. Not sure if it's happy or not. It's got healthy new roots, but new leafy growth or growth in the trunk doesn't seem to be happening. It's in a typical well draining mix. Originally had it getting direct sun but now it's under my 40% shade house. Doesn't help that it is my cat's favorite plant to chew on. You have any tips? I've heard these can be pretty fast growing.
Stan
Ready to Bolt

Post by Stan »

They LOOK like desert plants..but they love water. They in California like fertilizer..otherwise they go yellow green. The more water and frequent fertilizers,the faster it grows.

Cats are wily. I'm always moving rocks and driftwood to key areas...or my cats will sleep on soft ornamental grasses. Or eat fern fiddle-heads or climb the arbor and knock or break my Tillandsia's. I like that green garden fencing to use..its sort of invisible,cats dont want to walk over it. I even had to use that on TOP of a big old Platycerium in a tree. Keeps them off.
Steph115
Ready to Bolt

Post by Steph115 »

Good to know about the water. All I seemed to keep reading elsewhere online was that their roots didn't like to be wet for too long. I'll try more water and see how it goes. As for the cats.,, they're the bosses of our house. They only let me pretend like I'm in charge. Just waiting for them to lose interest ;)