Greetings from Humboldt CA

Welcome to Agaveville! Please stop in and tell us a little bit about yourself and your gardening interests.
HumboldtMadness
Rhizome

Greetings from Humboldt CA

Post by HumboldtMadness »

Hello,
New member here from northern CA. I have been lurking around reading up on a few plants in my collection and felt compelled to participate in this great forum I have come to rely on for solid information and a friendly environment. Now that I have signed up It seemed polite to introduce myself to y'all. So many of the members here seem very knowledgeable and there is a fairly defined core group with some serious experience in the trade and academic research. I hope to learn from you all.
My plant collection is somewhat small and eclectic, I could use a little help on identification of some of it, but I am excited to join the group and contribute in any way I can.
A large portion of my collection is exotic bamboo, but my succulents, agave, bromilliad and cacti colections have been more and more a focus now that I am in a bit of a "hurry up and wait" stage letting my bamboo grow out to size for a year or two. The agave bug has hit me hard and I keep coming home from the nursery with new varieties. I look forward to getting to know you fine folks who share my affliction with these plants we have all come to regard so highly.
Happy gardening,
Jon
Azuleja
Ready to Bolt

Re: Greetings from Humboldt CA

Post by Azuleja »

Welcome! Spent some time behind the redwood curtain myself. Once you get the hang of posting photos I'm sure you can get the unknown plants in your collection identified.
AloeGuv'na
Rhizome

Post by AloeGuv'na »

The ol' Redwood Curtain, I did some time behind it as well... good stuff. Welcome!
HumboldtMadness
Rhizome

Thank you for the warm welcome. I will be getting some photos posted soon in the cactus section. Spent the day consolidating the cacti collection and took some pics as I worked. As far as I know they are identitified correctly but they are fun to show off and I have a few cuts I would consider trading.
Spination
Ready to Bolt

Post by Spination »

Jon, just adding another welcome. Sequoioideae are among my very favorite trees. While California is well known for our redwoods, it's hard to believe that there's only 3% remaining of what there were circa pre-1850, according to something I read a while back. That's progress, I guess. Let's hope we don't progress further... :lol: Redwoods, bamboo, succulents - great combo! :U
HumboldtMadness
Rhizome

Hi spination,
Yeah you can certainly see the effects of the clearcutting days.. It has gotten a bit better with current forest management. They are not logging as much and most is planned harvest and replanted as they go. There are still some amazing old growth groves and we have the worlds tallest tree here at an undisclosed location. It is sad though when the location of a tree has to be a state secret.. That is one of the reasons for the bamboo, if we can start growing comercially in the US it would ease the burden on our dwindling forests. Eventually I would like to collect a few local cultivars of sequoia, but space is a serious issue and my last redwood did not fare so well.
This has been a great year for my garden, the bamboo is shooting like crazy this year, and I just took some great pics of the "candy cane bamboo" (Himalayacalamus falconeri "damarapa") and some of my trichocereus morphs, but my phone won't load them to the forum. Gotta do the phone to laptop shuffle.
KLC
Ready to Bolt

Post by KLC »

Welcome to the forum Jon. One of the members, DesertDweller, has a bamboo collection he grows here in the Phoenix area.
Don't California my Arizona!