Plant Sales

Use this forum to discuss matters relating to xeric plants, which do not fit under any of our established categories, or to discuss issues of a general nature that bear relevance across multiple categories.
Gee.S
Site Admin
USDA Zone: 9b

Plant Sales

Post by Gee.S »

Agave
"American aloe plant," 1797, from Greek Agaue, proper name in mythology (mother of Pentheus), from agauos "noble," perhaps from agasthai "wonder at".

"Some talk the talk, others walk the walk, but I stalk the stalk"
Gee.S
Site Admin

Re: Plants Sales

Post by Gee.S »

Agave
"American aloe plant," 1797, from Greek Agaue, proper name in mythology (mother of Pentheus), from agauos "noble," perhaps from agasthai "wonder at".

mcvansoest
Location: Tempe, Arizona, USA ie. Low Desert & Urban Heat Island
USDA Zone: 9a/b

Post by mcvansoest »

I was just there for the Member's preview and can say that for Agaves it is not worth the trouble. However, for Aloes it most certainly is, lots of variety and stuff I have not seen regularly at local nurseries and I think some excess from the Wallace Garden Collection made it onto the sales tables, so a few pretty nice specimen plants. There are some nice cacti as well, but nothing that blew me away in terms of 'must have'. They have a number of good sized Leuchtenbergia principis (aka Agave Cactus) and a bunch of good sized Mammilarias that stood out to me as particularly nice.

I came home with a bunch of Aloes, some of which I know will do OK here, but some I will be testing out: a nice A. erinacea (got two last time as well, price has gone up, but still below what similarly sized plants go for on eBay, for now I am just planning on growing them), a small but good looking A. ramosissima (they had another two or three), A. ellenbeckii (the only one there), A. vacillans (the only one there), A. cameronii (one of two available, will have to see if that is truly it as its leaves were rather spotted - though the overall shape and coloring looked good), and another one that started with a c. that I do not remember and none of the obvious entries in the gallery here match, so I will have to check out the label when I get home.

They have some large 5 gallon plus pots with A. elegans, some gigantic A. claviflora that I did not recognize as claviflora, but the head horticulturalist insisted was indeed claviflora - I think it was a) too big, and b) too spotted, but they were nice plants, but I was on a budget, so had to leave it behind, but there were plenty of choices beyond what I ended up with. Plenty of the miniature Aloes, gasterias, gasteraloes, haworthias, etc. So if you have a taste for Aloes and associated plants it is worth a visit. The sale goes from tomorrow till the 26th if I remember correctly. 1 gallon pots in the range of $10-20 depending on which Aloe it is. I think it is 10% off for the regular sale and 20% if you are a member.
It is what it is!
toditd
Ready to Bolt

Post by toditd »

mcvansoest wrote:They have some large 5 gallon plus pots with A. elegans, some gigantic A. claviflora that I did not recognize as claviflora, but the head horticulturalist insisted was indeed claviflora - I think it was a) too big, and b) too spotted, but they were nice plants, but I was on a budget, so had to leave it behind, but there were plenty of choices beyond what I ended up with.
I made a trip out to BTA today to check out the Aloe claviflora at the plant sale. And I completely agree with mcvansoest that what they had labeled as A. claviflora seemed to have something else going on. Maybe something completely different or maybe a hybrid with a spotted aloe.

In addition to what mcvansoest mentioned, the inflorescence on the one I saw was branched and erect. From what I've researched recently, the inflorescence A. claviflora is typically unbranched and growing horizontally or nearly so. Yes, it was a nice plant, but not what I was looking for, so I left without it. (In hindsight I should have take a photo of it, oh well.)
mcvansoest

Post by mcvansoest »

Here a picture of one of the BTA A. clavifloras in bloom along their main trail. The only thing the ones in the sale (and the one I bought last year) have in common with it is that the flowers are of similar color... I will see how it does this summer.
Attachments
A. claviflora BTA
A. claviflora BTA
DSC_0057.JPG (116.05 KiB) Viewed 6100 times
It is what it is!
toditd
Ready to Bolt

Post by toditd »

:)) I took several photos of that exact same plant this afternoon!
Azuleja
Ready to Bolt

Post by Azuleja »

The Ruth Bancroft Gardens Spring Fling is this weekend and they just posted an inventory of the sale plants.
Melt in the Sun
Ready to Bolt

Post by Melt in the Sun »

Nice list...anybody volunteering as a proxy buyer? :huh:
Azuleja
Ready to Bolt

Post by Azuleja »

I would have liked to go but it's not going to work out. I think this is the first time they've posted an inventory.
Melt in the Sun
Ready to Bolt

Post by Melt in the Sun »

Bummer ;)
mcvansoest

Post by mcvansoest »

Coming up this weekend the CACSS show and sale at the Desert Botanical Garden - Friday - Sunday April 7-9.
It is what it is!
Azuleja
Ready to Bolt

Post by Azuleja »

Aaack! Look away.
Attachments
Screenshot_2017-06-10-16-37-25-1-1.jpg
Screenshot_2017-06-10-16-37-25-1-1.jpg (93.64 KiB) Viewed 5975 times
toditd
Ready to Bolt

Post by toditd »

It's October and for us in the AZ desert that means Fall Plant Sales!

Boyce Thompson Arboretum Fall Plant Sale: October 13-29, 2017 (October 13 BTA members only preview.)

Desert Botanical Garden Fall Plant Sale: October 20-22, 2017 (October 20 DBG members only preview.)
Viegener
Ready to Bolt
USDA Zone: 10b

Post by Viegener »

The Huntington Garden's fall plant sale is Oct 27 - 29 , 2017, 10am to 5pm. I'll be traveling in Europe, otherwise I'd be there & ready to take orders for those of you interested. The fall sale is always smaller than the spring sale, even though overall fall is a better planting time for Souther California. I'm sure I'll be able to go to the spring plant sale next year...
Azuleja
Ready to Bolt

Post by Azuleja »

Well, I'll be. I think that's the weekend we're headed that way.
Viegener
Ready to Bolt
USDA Zone: 10b

Post by Viegener »

Try to get to the sale as early as possible Friday morning. That's when the best plants go out.
Azuleja
Ready to Bolt

Post by Azuleja »

The soonest we can be there is Saturday :(
Gee.S
Site Admin

Post by Gee.S »

Hey, anyone can show up early and pick up the "best plants". The real fun is showing up later with enough wherewithal to grab gems the others missed.
Agave

mcvansoest

Post by mcvansoest »

I went to the DBG plant sale members only day this morning and aside from the the regular fare they do have a bunch of bare-root large tree Aloes.

Aloe Ferox in the 3-5 foot tall range. Aloe dichotoma in the 4-6' foot range and when I left I got the next to last Aloe speciosa in the 4-5' range. The speciosa went for $80... The other two for a little more with the dichotoma being the most expensive but still below $200.

They also had Aloe susannae bare-root for $65. Took one home as well.

They had some Sans, but as far as I could tell nothing very special. A load of 'blue emperor', 'blue flame', and possibly 'blue ember', but for the rest I did not see anything special among the Agaves on offer. Lots of desert roses this year and some pretty good sized Boojums but well outside my budget.

So aside from the pretty much regular cactus and agave stuff some new stuff among the Aloes and other succulent plants/trees.
It is what it is!
Gee.S
Site Admin

Post by Gee.S »

^ I was thinking, and what you really need is Sansevieria arborescens. I doubt it would take full sun in the VOTS, but it really does like a lot of sun, and you might be able to get a little colony going, planted outside right by your house (as a heat/shade source). Seriously, I think an outdoor colony of 6' S. arborescens in Phoenix would be about the coolest thing ever! Arid Lands has 'em
Agave

toditd
Ready to Bolt

Post by toditd »

With 80 degree temperatures spring is in the air here in the desert. And with spring comes the 2018 Boyce Thompson Arboretum Spring Plant Sale! March 9 - March 25 (March 9 for BTA members only).
Xanthoria
Ready to Bolt

Post by Xanthoria »

San Francisco Succulent & Cactus Society
“Spines, Teeth & Thorns”
June 9 – 10 9 am – 5 pm

San Francisco County Fair Building
1199 9th Ave, San Francisco, CA 94122
(9th Avenue at Lincoln Way in Golden Gate Park)

http://sfsucculent.org/annual-show-and-sale/

Some other local and not so local shows and sales:

May 5-6
Sacramento Cactus and Succulent Society Annual Show & Sale
Shepard Garden & Arts Center, 3330 Mckinley Blvd Sacramento, CA 95816
Saturday 9 am – 5 pm, Sunday 10 am – 5 pm

May 19-20
Carmichael Cactus & Succulent Society 41st Annual Show & Sale
Carmichael Park Clubhouse, 5750 Grant Avenue, Carmichael, CA
Saturday 9 am – 4 pm, Sunday 10 am – 3 pm

May 26-27
Central Coast Cactus and Succulent Society Show & Sale
Ludwick Community Center, 864 Santa Rosa (corner of Mill St.), San Luis Obispo
Saturday 10 am – 5 pm, Sunday 10am – 4 pm

June 2-3
Fresno Cactus & Succulent Society 2018 Show & Sale
Clovis Veterans Memorial District, 808 Fourth Street, Clovis, Ca. 559-304-9219
Saturday 9 am – 6 pm, Sunday 9 am – 4 pm

Southern California Sales & Shows

If you are inclined to drive or fly, southern California is host to some large cactus & succulent shows with an adundance of amazing, large specimens.

June 29 – July 1
CSSA Annual Show and Sale
Huntington Botanical Gardens, 1151 Oxford Road, San Marino, CA.

August 11-12
32nd Inter-City Cactus Show & Sale
Los Angeles County Arboretum and Botanic Garden, 301 North Baldwin Ave, Arcadia, CA 91007
Saturday & Sunday, 9 am – 5 pm
Stan
Ready to Bolt
USDA Zone: 10a

Post by Stan »

Some of my nicest Bromeliads I bought at the SF Cactus show!..true. I hope to make it this year. Its the only place to find Bursera for sale. An arm and a leg,but for sale.
Hayward Ca. 75-80f summers,60f winters.
toditd
Ready to Bolt

Post by toditd »

The 2019 Boyce Thompson Arboretum Spring Plant Sale is just a week away. It runs from March 8 through March 24, 2019, (March 8 is the members only preview sale).
toditd
Ready to Bolt

Re: Plant Sales

Post by toditd »

The 2019 Boyce Thompson Arboretum Fall Plant Sale will be held October 11 thru October 29.

The 2019 Desert Botanical Garden Fall Plant Sale will be held October 19 and 20.