User photo album

Use this forum to request changes, language packs, other additions or to report a problem. Comments are also welcome.
Agave_fan
Ready to Bolt

User photo album

Post by Agave_fan »

Just a thought.....

While I love the 'official' photo album identifying species/subspecies/variety/cultivar, have you given any thought to allowing individual photo albums?

I have a ton of plants that I do not feel comfortable enough posting under the official gallery (for a variety of reasons including many I am not certain of correct ID) that I would love to share 'unofficially' via an individual album.

One of my favorite things to do on other forums was to go into individual photo albums just to see what others had as many people have dozens (some hundreds) of items that they do not feel comfortable placing in an official thread nor take the time to create a post on. I know I literally have probably close to 100, hell I have acquired about 50 different aloes just this past summer alone. :shock:

While I LOVE looking through old threads for photos, I would love even more to be looking through some of your individual albums to see all the things you are not sharing in the official forum or somewhere in a thread. It may also make hunting down photos I have seen from threads a bit easier when I am unable to locate via the search function.

Would this be too time consuming or take up too much space on the server to add the ability for users to have individual photo album options?
reality_velo
Bulbil

Re: User photo album

Post by reality_velo »

I like this idea. I have a lot of photos as well id love to share too for the same reasons.
Gee.S
Site Admin
USDA Zone: 9b

Post by Gee.S »

Appreciate the suggestion, but that will definitely be on hold for now -- for a few reasons, which include finite server resources and the difficulty in adding the feature at this point. It is possible, but phpBB does not offer photo album as a standard feature. If we ever update the forum software, an extremely intimidating and time-consuming prospect, that would be the time to add this feature.

In the meantime, feel free to add your own photo collections to the forum at large.
Agave
"American aloe plant," 1797, from Greek Agaue, proper name in mythology (mother of Pentheus), from agauos "noble," perhaps from agasthai "wonder at".

"Some talk the talk, others walk the walk, but I stalk the stalk"
mcvansoest
Location: Tempe, Arizona, USA ie. Low Desert & Urban Heat Island
USDA Zone: 9a/b

Post by mcvansoest »

Another thing you could do is, sign up for for example a free DropBox account - you can very easily create photo albums and then share the link to it in a post here or in your signature. Same thing with people using the Photos app on apple devices, I am pretty sure you can share links to some of those albums as well... but it is a little less simple than Dropbox or some other similar services.

Trying this out as when I tried to set it up in Dropbox it was different than I remembered. Please see if this link gets you to a photo page and you can look at, comment on, and probably even download the pictures if you want:

https://www.dropbox.com/sh/erv3kkrjbhf7 ... mjEwa?dl=0" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
It is what it is!
Agave_fan
Ready to Bolt

Post by Agave_fan »

mcvansoest wrote:Another thing you could do is, sign up for for example a free DropBox account - you can very easily create photo albums and then share the link to it in a post here or in your signature. Same thing with people using the Photos app on apple devices, I am pretty sure you can share links to some of those albums as well... but it is a little less simple than Dropbox or some other similar services.

Trying this out as when I tried to set it up in Dropbox it was different than I remembered. Please see if this link gets you to a photo page and you can look at, comment on, and probably even download the pictures if you want:

https://www.dropbox.com/sh/erv3kkrjbhf7 ... mjEwa?dl=0" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
I just saw this McVansoest. Great idea and your link is awesome!! I didn't comment on any of the photos but it appears that I can.

Installing dropbox now- thanks!