Growing Sans Collection

Use this forum to discuss matters relating to Beaucarnea, Calibanus, Cordyline, Dasylirion, Dracaena, Nolina, Sansevieria and related species.

Moderator: Spination

Gee.S
Site Admin
USDA Zone: 9b

Re: Growing Sans Collection

Post by Gee.S »

We'll see, I think it will be OK. My S. arborescence had a lower leaf yellow up pretty good a few weeks back, so I changed the angle a bit, and it greened back up -- just like a normal plant! :))
Agave
"American aloe plant," 1797, from Greek Agaue, proper name in mythology (mother of Pentheus), from agauos "noble," perhaps from agasthai "wonder at".

"Some talk the talk, others walk the walk, but I stalk the stalk"
Gee.S
Site Admin

Post by Gee.S »

So this:

has now transformed into this, after I just took a razor blade to the ugly old leaves. It would look even better had it not burnt a bit, but I am not complaining!
Sansevieria elliptica
Sansevieria elliptica
Sans 007.JPG (141.54 KiB) Viewed 4893 times
And now my S. pinguicula is also getting busy. Bad news Steph, looks like you're a grandma! :))
S. pinguicula
S. pinguicula
Sans 010.JPG (241.47 KiB) Viewed 4893 times
Agave
"American aloe plant," 1797, from Greek Agaue, proper name in mythology (mother of Pentheus), from agauos "noble," perhaps from agasthai "wonder at".

Steph115
Ready to Bolt

Post by Steph115 »

:lol: They grow up so fast! So happy this pupped for you so quickly. Must be liking it's new digs. Can't wait to see how it grows! I have no concept of how quickly the offsets themselves grow once formed.
Gee.S
Site Admin

Post by Gee.S »

Uh oh, seems I spoke too soon. There are TWO offsets coming up!
S. pinguicula
S. pinguicula
Sans New 001.JPG (258.35 KiB) Viewed 4852 times
And here is an updated S. cf arborescens shot.
S. cf arborescens
S. cf arborescens
Sans New 004.JPG (303.55 KiB) Viewed 4852 times
Agave

Spination
Ready to Bolt

Post by Spination »

I thought we were apprised that the S. arborescens is actually S. Lavranos 23251... :M (on the sun exposure thread)

Congrats on the 2 baby Pings. :U
Gee.S
Site Admin

Post by Gee.S »

Hence the "cf". If you recall, I had mentioned quite a while ago that I didn't believe it was actually S. arborescens. I believe the technical translation of cf = "well sorta kinda maybe, but sorta pseudo quasi".
Agave

Steph115
Ready to Bolt

Post by Steph115 »

Gee.S wrote:I believe the technical translation of cf = "well sorta kinda maybe, but sorta pseudo quasi".
Say that three times fast and it almost sounds like a fancy Italian dish :lol:
Gee.S
Site Admin

Post by Gee.S »

Wait, I think we can turn this into a Billy Joel song...

♫ "If you're CF.... you may be quasi..." ♫ ♪♫
Agave

Gee.S
Site Admin

Post by Gee.S »

19 weeks growth on this offset. Wow.

Agave

Spination
Ready to Bolt

Post by Spination »

Nice! And in characteristic fashion, the energy the original rosette put into growing the underground rhizome, has now resulted in the next growth as a faster growing and likely to become larger offshoot than the original.
Gee.S
Site Admin

Post by Gee.S »

The Ping is coming along. One offset, now fully stilted, has leapt dramatically ahead of the other.
S. pinguicula
S. pinguicula
Ping 003.JPG (72.39 KiB) Viewed 4795 times
S. pinguicula
S. pinguicula
Ping 005.JPG (77.51 KiB) Viewed 4795 times
Agave

Steph115
Ready to Bolt

Post by Steph115 »

Dramatically is right. This must be so fun to watch. I've been keeping myself entertained with my first sans' root growth. This one has also taken off in leaf growth as well, but in the photos below you can see the two brand new roots that have formed since I got it. No signs of a pup yet but I have my fingers crossed for spring!
Attachments
Sansevieria pinguicula
Sansevieria pinguicula
IMG_5956.JPG (158.39 KiB) Viewed 4748 times
Sansevieria pinguicula
Sansevieria pinguicula
IMG_5955.JPG (60.16 KiB) Viewed 4748 times
Gee.S
Site Admin

Post by Gee.S »

That is awesome! What's that crazy thing doing? Isn't the air getting a little thin up there?
Agave

Spination
Ready to Bolt

Post by Spination »

:U :M
Azuleja
Ready to Bolt

Post by Azuleja »

That's awesome! I like those new roots. I think my S. pinguicula may have been damaged by the last cold snap. It's inside, but perhaps not warm enough for its liking. It looked fine at first, but now shows discoloration in some spots. On the other hand, my S. suffruticosa types are all doing well in the same sunroom with one actively growing a new stolon and another still forming its bloom stalk.
Steph115
Ready to Bolt

Post by Steph115 »

Azuleja wrote:That's awesome! I like those new roots. I think my S. pinguicula may have been damaged by the last cold snap. It's inside, but perhaps not warm enough for its liking. It looked fine at first, but now shows discoloration in some spots. On the other hand, my S. suffruticosa types are all doing well in the same sunroom with one actively growing a new stolon and another still forming its bloom stalk.
Yellow/pale spots? One of mine was left outside when it was 40s-50s overnight and developed those. Scary that it can happen inside :shock:
Azuleja
Ready to Bolt

Post by Azuleja »

Yes, yellow pale spots :cry: I knew keeping it in my unheated sunroom was a test but I was hoping it would fare better. I've seen minor discolorations heal on aloes and agaves so I'm just watching and waiting.
Gee.S
Site Admin

Post by Gee.S »

Mine are outside all winter long. I'll slide 'em into a heated outdoor closet when temps threaten to go sub-freezing, but other than that they're on their own.
Agave

Gee.S
Site Admin

Post by Gee.S »

Gee.S wrote:This Sansevieria elliptica 'Horwood' (no idea if that is actually accepted taxon) was near dead/dormant for three years when I gave it some badly needed attention. A few months later, it rewarded me with beautiful new twin leaves. As you can see, one of the leaves burnt a bit. I was keeping a close eye on it, but.... If you look closely, you'll see that some of the burn is partially healed, and in comparing to the other leaf, you'll note that both continued with an identical growth rate, but the clean leaf is now sprouting another new leaf, while the other is not. Dunno what all that means really, I just thought it was interesting.
So what began (in a sense) as an ugly neglected rat of a Sans has now grown into this.
S. elliptica 'Horwood'
S. elliptica 'Horwood'
Sans 003.JPG (64.45 KiB) Viewed 4561 times
Agave

Spination
Ready to Bolt

Post by Spination »

Nice! What I like about these forms is that the rosettes have limited # of leaves, and keep adding new limited # leaf rosettes (1-2), so in this way, some nasty damage is eventually drowned out and surrounded by nice clean leaves.
Gee.S
Site Admin

Post by Gee.S »

Think I'll up-pot that guy in spring. The little bit of damage is sunburn. I have it in a nice shady spot on the table, then the sun changes angle, and ooops...
Agave

Brooksphilly
Ready to Bolt

Post by Brooksphilly »

Hi there Gee. Would love to hear/see updates on your sans collection. Still got the bug?