Cold?

Discuss any and all issues that don't fit neatly into one of our other forum sections.
Spination
Ready to Bolt

Re: Cold?

Post by Spination »

Yes, we've been getting foggy AMs. Today just one more. 37 F this AM, but that's enough above 32 F that it's no problem. A little annoying though that the forecast has been consistently off by several degrees, and almost always the wrong way. It was supposed to be only 40 F... I did more Liqui-Cop spraying on certain Agave which were problematic last season (aracnose). They've recovered enough where I just don't want to see a repeat performance...
Spination
Ready to Bolt

Post by Spination »

With more wet now coming, also come hopes that temps will remain warmer. With that, come hopes that I'll see this one bloom to completion for the first time in 3 years...
2018 01 07 Aloe arborescens.jpg
2018 01 07 Aloe arborescens.jpg (113.07 KiB) Viewed 2062 times
And this one thought to be Aloe spicata bloom to completion for me the first time ever (also so I can confirm the ID)
2018 01 07 Aloe spicata a.jpg
2018 01 07 Aloe spicata a.jpg (146.3 KiB) Viewed 2062 times
Spination
Ready to Bolt

Post by Spination »

Raining, and 47 F (the low) is the best part... 10 degrees warmer than 24 hours ago.
.5" just in the last couple of hours - looks like a healthy storm system starting to work it's way through.
Stan
Ready to Bolt
USDA Zone: 10a

Post by Stan »

No bloom spike yet on my variegated A. arborescens. But! I do have quite a few forming on A. vanbalenii. Its a good look alike for A.spicata. In past years,a December frost has freeze dried those bloom spikes before they ever got a chance to open. The last 2-3 years have been good years for blooms.
Hayward Ca. 75-80f summers,60f winters.
Spination
Ready to Bolt

Post by Spination »

You're right about the look-alike. That was my amateurish ID on it originally - came with no tag. Geoff thought it was A. spicata, and I would tend to lean towards his opinion. Can't wait for the bloom to finally confirm and nail it down for good. Could have happened last year, but the freezes damaged this plant badly and stopped the bloom dead about where it is right now. You can see that gnarly leaf to the left, that's what the whole thing looked like when the cold was all said and done - it's made a great comeback!
Stan
Ready to Bolt

Post by Stan »

Pineapple Express is dumping a ton of rain,lows of 56f and highs of 60f,maybe like Lord Howe Island on a cool day or even the Juan Fernandez Islands where day and night temps are pretty flat. Exotic growing will do that to your imagination.
Spination
Ready to Bolt

Post by Spination »

Stan, I didn't see any pineapples... :lol: but -
First 12 hours from 8 AM to 8 PM - 1.2", and another 1" overnight to 7 AM for 2.2" total. Our largest 24 hour total this whole rain season so far, and actually adding more than 50% to the entire total since our first dribbles 10/19 - which shows what a dry rainy season it's been so far.
50 F low to go with it, which is nice. I'd be thrilled if we don't see any more low 30's from here on out...
Stan
Ready to Bolt

Post by Stan »

Yesterday it looked like we peaked at 59f...sun goes down,etc. I noticed at 9:30pm or so..we went up to 61f. Have to love those storms that draw in Hawaiian air..even if it was blended with temperate Alaskan gulf air.
Agavemonger
Ready to Bolt

Post by Agavemonger »

We are finally getting some substantial rain here in San Diego County. Through 2 P.M. today, North County has received just under 2 inches, with another inch expected this afternoon and overnight. This is the first rain seen here since March or so. :))

The main leading band of the front has moved through, followed by unsettled conditions with cold-ish wind and some intermittent showers. The main spiral of the storm should come through Southern California this evening, followed by unsettled conditions on Wednesday, then warming temperatures on Thursday. D))

Unfortunately, there have been many serious mud-slides associated with the wildfire areas in Santa Barbara and Ventura Counties, and the storm conditions have led to several deaths. :frown:

The Monger
Stan
Ready to Bolt

Post by Stan »

We might get back to sunny mid 60's by Thursday. It doesn't take long without sun before you get tired of gray days.
I heard San Diego would even get rain. Putting a damper on the 75f Dec-Jan "winter"!
Agavemonger
Ready to Bolt

Post by Agavemonger »

At 6 A.M. this morning it is still raining steadily in San Diego, and has been all night. It looks like most coastal and inland areas of San Diego have gotten 2-3 inches out of this storm, with foothill communities and the mountains getting much more.

Say a prayer for the folks in Santa Barbara and vicinity. The current proven death toll from mudslides is now up to thirteen, and many more are missing. News footage of the storm shows severe damage; Freeway #101 and the Amtrak rail lines are both closed from mudslides. The death toll from the mudslides is simply terrible. :frown:

The Monger
Stan
Ready to Bolt

Post by Stan »

No problems in the bay area so far-knock on wood,everything's safe. San Jose broke a rain record for the day... a record that went back 365 days to last year! Climate...etc.
Spination
Ready to Bolt

Post by Spination »

Monger, yesterday I almost posted concern about mudslides due to the fire and subsequent rain, but then decided not to click submit. Even the TV news up here showed the remains of a home in Montecito ...which was situated on one side of a street, slide completely over to the other side depicting the power of that storm.

Thoughts and prayers...
Stan
Ready to Bolt

Post by Stan »

Its terrible,no doubt- hitting at 4am when nobody thought or had reported any warnings until then.
Agavemonger
Ready to Bolt

Post by Agavemonger »

Death toll now up to 17 with at least 8 more missing.

Photos from the disaster scenes are virtually unbelievable: Granite Boulders the size of bulldozers were pushed down creeks & streets and into peoples yards from perhaps a mile or two away. I saw one photo of someone's nearly complete garage deposited almost intact up inside a very large oak tree. Another shows a couple of wadded up cars sitting near the surf on a beach. Apparently, the mudslides went down several creeks and streets with unfathomable force, and didn't stop until they hit the ocean.

The Monger
Stan
Ready to Bolt

Post by Stan »

Looks like they revised the forecast here,and any possible 30's were taken off and its all mid 40's- 50's. I think we will hit 65 today,and at least 67f is forecast tomorrow. Its spring.
Stan
Ready to Bolt

Post by Stan »

Warm yesterday- 67f...I feel cheated out of the 70f today since valley fog moved in unannounced or predicted. Lucky to hit 60f before MORE RAINS tomorrow.
Stan
Ready to Bolt

Post by Stan »

Not bad- a 4 day run in the mid 60's here. That big storm keeps getting pushed back. Some say 4 straight days of rain in the bay area...others are for 2 not so heavy rains in four days. I noticed E.tersheckii is more barrel shaped in all the wet ground. I wish I had bought one 20 years ago. Or more than one..
Spination
Ready to Bolt

Post by Spination »

Forecast is giving us here a 35 for the low on Friday, and 36 for Saturday. Been rather spoiled lately with these 40-50 lows. I just hope they not off again by a few degrees in the "wrong" direction.
Stan
Ready to Bolt

Post by Stan »

I'm not digging Tom that for the next ten days will are not predicted to even hit 60f. Lows will be average. The mid 60's were nice when we usually ave. 57f this time of year.
Stan
Ready to Bolt

Post by Stan »

COLD TONIGHT!...upper 30's. Not cold enough to kill,but cold enough. ALTHOUGH- they said the high today would be 51f. Its 9:30am and we already are at 52f. Maybe not so cold tonight after all.
Spination
Ready to Bolt

Post by Spination »

Stan wrote: Maybe not so cold tonight after all.
Well, you live on a "weather island" - all that bay influence which typically keeps you a fair amount warmer than here. We already cracked 40 this AM (barely - @39), but the real story is the dreaded sunshine on a winter day, which means a cloudless sky, which means all that warming during the day means nothing at all because there's nothing in the way of clouds to keep it trapped during the night. Something just seems wrong about the forecast of 35 tonight. All over the news, for days, they've been talking about how the cold arctic air is going to hit tonight, and yet it's only going to be 4 degrees lower than this AM? I don't believe it. I think once again, they're going to have missed the mark by several degrees, which seems to be the new normal. I don't understand how the forecasts used to be nearly precise, and now when it comes to forecasting these lows of this winter, they can't seem to hit the broad side of the barn, so to speak. I mean, if I made a prediction, and I turned out to underestimate the cold, again, again, again, again.... I'd start to adjust my prediction downwards. They're not. Whatever model they're using, they're sticking to it. The only good thing in it all is I learned quickly this cold season not to trust them, and to subtract about 3-5 degrees when we all know it's going to be cold. That's kind of a big deal for the next 2 days, because adjusting their prediction that way drops it down there to that all important 32 mark. Needless to say, everything I was covering before when we were hitting 32 and slightly lower, I'll be covering again tonight. Anyway, we did have a nice break from all those freezing nights that started it all off, so I'm grateful for that.
Stan
Ready to Bolt

Post by Stan »

Up to 57f now. Not warm,but not dangerous. You're just on the edge of the bay's influence. I still think your much warmer in winter lows then the days of the "Little old Winemaker in Napa,Sonoma and Mendocino" commercials I grew up on. And,I don't drink!
Spination
Ready to Bolt

Post by Spination »

We had 36 F by 4 AM, and for some reason I'm not exactly sure of, it just stopped right there - which is highly unusual. AM TV news reported 34 F in Santa Rosa a bit north, and 32 F a bit east in Napa. So, all good here. Glad I was ready for frost/freeze, but we dodged the bullet right here... which means my A. arborescens bloom and A. spicata blooms are still standing, and developing. :U I'm getting more and more excited that I'm actually going to see them bloom to completion this time around. :))
Azuleja
Ready to Bolt

Post by Azuleja »

It froze here last night and now we're enveloped in cold wet fog. Just what plants love, right. ::roll::