International Sansevieria Society

Use this forum to announce, discuss, and review literature, preferably print, relevant to our xeric gardening interests.

Moderator: DesertDweller

Gee.S
Site Admin
USDA Zone: 9b

International Sansevieria Society

Post by Gee.S »

I'm probably late to the show here, but just discovered the International Sansevieria Society, my interest being the Journal. 36 issues @ $10 each is kinda spensive but a $25 DVD is available for issues 1-33. I'm in! No idea regarding content or quality, but I do have a DVD coming.
Agave
"American aloe plant," 1797, from Greek Agaue, proper name in mythology (mother of Pentheus), from agauos "noble," perhaps from agasthai "wonder at".

"Some talk the talk, others walk the walk, but I stalk the stalk"
Brooksphilly
Ready to Bolt

Re: International Sansevieria Society

Post by Brooksphilly »

Awesome! Let us know how it is. Is this the one started way back when by Juan C.?
Spination
Ready to Bolt

Post by Spination »

No doubt - a treasure trove of information!
jayhouseplant
Rhizome

Post by jayhouseplant »

Did you ever get the DVD? Thinking of getting one too.
Gee.S
Site Admin

Post by Gee.S »

Just got it, and it looks very good. each issue is presented as a separate PDF, and another separate PDF is provided, which indexes the whole lot by species. Quality is excellent. I'll be poring through this for quite a long while, I'd suspect. Not ready to comment on content, but presentation is excellent, and that was my primary concern.

Edit: OK, so I've spent the past hour using the journal as a research tool after copying DVD contents onto one of my hard drives (about 2.2 G). I dare say, this is quite likely the most comprehensive source of Sansevieria information on the planet. Many/most articles favor habitat/taxonomic issues over those of cultivation. Lots of photos. Very impressed.
Agave
"American aloe plant," 1797, from Greek Agaue, proper name in mythology (mother of Pentheus), from agauos "noble," perhaps from agasthai "wonder at".

Azuleja
Ready to Bolt

Post by Azuleja »

Here's a flickr link to 120 preview pages if anyone is curious as I was. There are many articles I'd love to read. No. 12, A handsomely twisted sansevieria. No. 17, Notes on the sansevieria suffruticosa group. Fun stuff. I remembered that our local CSS has a library, and they have The Splendid Sansevieria. So, there's that.
Gee.S
Site Admin

Post by Gee.S »

Azuleja wrote:Here's a flickr link to 120 preview pages if anyone is curious as I was. There are many articles I'd love to read. No. 12, A handsomely twisted sansevieria. No. 17, Notes on the sansevieria suffruticosa group. Fun stuff. I remembered that our local CSS has a library, and they have The Splendid Sansevieria. So, there's that.
One of the first articles I read.
Agave

ahek
Seedling

Post by ahek »

Great stuff!
Didn't know about the flickr-link, thanks for that!

I have a few of their journals and it is really interesting and good articles. Lots of great habitat photos.
Did the DVD contain lots that also?
Gee.S
Site Admin

Post by Gee.S »

The DVD holds complete Journal issues 1 - 33, so everything in the Journals is on the DVD. It you like Sans, it would crazy to not have this, a terrific bargain.
Agave

Spination
Ready to Bolt

Post by Spination »

I appreciate the revival of this thread, and the additional recommendation to get the DVD. I intended to get it before, but it slipped my mind. So, I just clicked the link now, and finally ordered the DVD. Guess the exchange rate became less favorable, because it worked out to $30.45 USD now, but that's still a great deal. All the issues from 1-33, and best thing of all, no space consuming mags to store. Just pop in the DVD whenever desired, and instant knowledge to be acquired on the screen. Awesome!
ahek
Seedling

Post by ahek »

Ok!!
I didn't realise that!
Seems like an obvious bargain!
Gee.S
Site Admin

Post by Gee.S »

Spination wrote:I appreciate the revival of this thread, and the additional recommendation to get the DVD. I intended to get it before, but it slipped my mind. So, I just clicked the link now, and finally ordered the DVD. Guess the exchange rate became less favorable, because it worked out to $30.45 USD now, but that's still a great deal. All the issues from 1-33, and best thing of all, no space consuming mags to store. Just pop in the DVD whenever desired, and instant knowledge to be acquired on the screen. Awesome!
Rather than pop the DVD in when you want to browse it (slow, slow, slow....), copy the contents (about 2G) onto your hard drive, then store the DVD with the rest of your software. It's actually far better than print journals in one sense. DVD includes an indexed reference. Scroll down to your species, and it provides reference to every mention across all the Journals. Suuuweeeet!
Agave