Street of magnificent Poinsettia's.

Discuss any and all issues that don't fit neatly into one of our other forum sections.
Stan
Ready to Bolt
USDA Zone: 10a

Street of magnificent Poinsettia's.

Post by Stan »

Funchal must have the perfect climate for them. Even in November they are in full color. Must not be a lot of nighttime lighting either.

https://www.google.com/maps/@32.6512945 ... 312!8i6656" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Hayward Ca. 75-80f summers,60f winters.
Xanthoria
Ready to Bolt

Re: Street of magnificent Poinsettia's.

Post by Xanthoria »

1. I want to go to Madeira
2. Sometimes you think you're making a plant happy. Then you go to its native country (or equivalent) and see it REALLY happy. You come home, you feel bad. :?
Stan
Ready to Bolt

Post by Stan »

I hear you XAN. I look at like- we might not have these large plants,but ifs healthy and nice to look at? Be thankful for that. Although,I've NEVER seen a Poinsettia as beautiful as the ones on this street. I wonder what variety they are? The one in Hayward I posted,is already dropping leaves. These in Funchal have it all..blooms and foliage.
Stone Jaguar
Ready to Bolt

Post by Stone Jaguar »

Tree-sized Painintheassettias are staples of many gardens in southern Mexico and CentrAm. These all appear to be unimproved/native varieties. Yes, they can get immense in areas where they thrive, generally those that have a marked dry season.
Stan
Ready to Bolt

Post by Stan »

I was in Oakland today Jay,just outside the skyscraper territory's and I tell you it look like parts of Southern California. Perfectly grown subtropical's,no doubt bought at the nearby Dry Garden Nursery. I was in such a tight time race- I couldn't take even one photo...but all over were some huge Agaves and I saw big Aloe plicatilis..just anything you can find to plant does well there. Some dark green GBOP..no doubt the mild winter with rains ..gave them that Florida look,not the usual gray look (summer)that you see in California. I wanted to just wander street by street in my car,but wasn't to be.
Stone Jaguar
Ready to Bolt

Post by Stone Jaguar »

I agree, Stan, that local landscapers are slowly upping their game. I think that you are right in seeing Dry Garden as being a driver here...no doubt that much improved selection of landscape succulents at Flora Grubb and other higher end, trendy local nurseries is a factor. This winter has been dreadful for parts of SoCal, but the bomb for us.