Agave sp. Hyghway 85

Use this forum to discuss matters relating to Agave, Beschorneria, Furcraea, Hesperaloe, Hesperoyucca, Manfreda, Polianthes, Yucca and related species. This is where one posts unknown plant photos for ID help.
Luc
Ready to Bolt

Agave sp. Hyghway 85

Post by Luc »

What about this species, we don't hear about it anymore ?
It is indeed a slow grower and seems to be a compact form.
Somes of you grow this guy ?
IMG_0041bis.jpg
IMG_0041bis.jpg (127.89 KiB) Viewed 1589 times
Paul S
Ready to Bolt

Re: Agave sp. Hyghway 85

Post by Paul S »

Not heard of that - I wonder where along hwy85 it was collected?
Luc
Ready to Bolt

Post by Luc »

Look at this : https://www.yuccado.com/agave-sp-hwy-85-hidalgo-mx.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Paul S
Ready to Bolt

Post by Paul S »

Thanks. Not that specific, really, but narrowed it down to one state :)
MikeyDude
Ready to Bolt

Post by MikeyDude »

I have a couple of these nice Protoamericana Hwy. 85 growing here in Austin (shown in 2nd photo). Very durable plant and has taken down to at least 14 degrees with only minor effect. It is slow growing and takes a while to get the pups up and growing also. Mine is about 18h x 20w but will still get a little larger I suspect. These are great for those of us who don't need a monster size plant.

I also have a pic of Protoamericana 'Leo' which I believe is also a very attractive agave (shown in first pic). It also seems to be a slow grower and stays smaller like Hwy 85. It is also very cold tolerant when grown in DG and provided good winter drainage. 'Leo' also has larger marginal teats and a bluer color than Hwy 85.
Attachments
Agave protoamericana "Leo"
Agave protoamericana "Leo"
IMG_2582.JPG (123.36 KiB) Viewed 1517 times
Agave Hwy. 85
Agave Hwy. 85
Agave Hwy. 85 .JPG (138.22 KiB) Viewed 1517 times
agavegreg
Ready to Bolt

Post by agavegreg »

Mikeydude, where did you get your plant labeled A. americana ssp. protamericana 'Leo'? That looks suspiciously like A. shrevei ssp. magna and not like any A. am. ssp. protamericana that I have seen.
Agavemonger
Ready to Bolt

Post by Agavemonger »

Luc: The 'Hwy. 85' I sent you is originally from Yucca-Do (Through the Dude of Austin, Texas fame) so you have the same exact clone as in the Yucca-Do ad you posted above.

We went on a road-trip to Yucca-Do some years back, and bought a few of these from Wade (that we picked out ourselves) out of their greenhouses there. So you definitely have the real McCoy. ::wink:: D))

Greg: I have a few of the 'Leo' plants that were pups off of the Dude's plants. They are not as sky-blue as my Agave sobria varieties but are still quite blue. I believe these originally were offered by Tony Avent, possibly from Carl & Wade. I just looked on google; I couldn't find the original blurb on this purported "hybrid" (except for a P.D.N. photo labeled simply Agave 'Leo' (Avent)). If I remember correctly, I think they found it in a habitat field with A. scabra and A. Americana ssp. protoamericana and lots of variants. I know I printed out the advertisement on the origins of the plant, because I intended to put it into production; It is here somewhere; when I find it I will put the relevant facts in this thread.

Perhaps the Dude will chime in here with what he knows.

The Monger
Luc
Ready to Bolt

Post by Luc »

Henri06 gave me this plant 2 or 3 years and if I remember correctly he got it through you, indeed.
Do you know what the older plants currently look like.

Mikeydude, how old is your plant ?
MikeyDude
Ready to Bolt

Post by MikeyDude »

Greg: Agave 'Leo' does look alot like A. shrevei ssp. magna, however it is not as dusty grey in color and marginal teeth come out more orange/red then mature to grey. It is also not as fast growing nor is it as large and also maintains a pale blueish color as it ages. Mine have a more velvet look to them which is another cool quality.
I got mine about 5-6 years ago and picked them out with Wade at Yuccado and there were never more than 6-10 of them available at any time. My understanding was that he and Carl had selected them as an outstanding clone among other Protoamericana types on one of their trips to the interior. They were trialing them and I believe some were sent to Tony Avent to trial in cold and wet weather conditions in NC. The plant has proven to be very adapted to a reasonable amount of wet weather and cold, while taking full Texas sun.

Luc: My plants are now larger than the one in the photo and are about 5 years old.

Monger: your account of our trip was dead on.
Azuleja
Ready to Bolt

Post by Azuleja »

I have Agave x 'Leo' as well. It is attributed to Rick Nowakowski. Before Yucca Do closed I emailed them about it since Rick Nowakowski is no longer alive. Wade replied to me that they had offered it in the past but didn't know the parentage.
Meangreen94z
Ready to Bolt
USDA Zone: 8B

Post by Meangreen94z »

Any updated pictures on these or ‘Leo’?
Austin, Texas
Gafoto
Ready to Bolt
USDA Zone: 7b

Post by Gafoto »

Meangreen94z wrote: Fri Dec 15, 2023 11:52 pm Any updated pictures on these or ‘Leo’?
I’m guessing this is the same ‘Leo’

It’s gotten quite beefy in the last five years. Has a lot more interest and a regular Americana in my eyes. Hopefully isn’t as invasive either.
Meangreen94z
Ready to Bolt
USDA Zone: 8B

Post by Meangreen94z »

Gafoto wrote: Sat Dec 16, 2023 9:16 am
Meangreen94z wrote: Fri Dec 15, 2023 11:52 pm Any updated pictures on these or ‘Leo’?
I’m guessing this is the same ‘Leo’

It’s gotten quite beefy in the last five years. Has a lot more interest and a regular Americana in my eyes. Hopefully isn’t as invasive either.
Thanks. I remember that post, but somehow missed that.
Austin, Texas