more Aloe seedlings

Use this forum to discuss matters relating to Aloe, Gasteria, Haworthia and related species. This is where one posts unknown plant photos for ID help.

Moderator: Geoff

Spination
Ready to Bolt

Re: more Aloe seedlings

Post by Spination »

Marlon Machado wrote:Great Tom! And nice crosses too. I am curious to see what the Oik seedlings will look like.
Thanks Marlon. With the two different 'Oik' setting seed - I'm almost embarrassed to say that I won't know precisely the complete other 1/2 of the parentage until the seedlings are old enough (circa 1 year) - that is if I'm lucky enough to get germination. Candidates are pollen from 'Sal' on one, and castilloniae (a "normal" one from Germany), and the other 'Oik' got pollen from 'Salt', 'Dark Shadows', and I think the last flower or two got some from my other castilloniae (from Hungary - weird one with bumps on leaves). I did not want to lose opportunities for each flower to set seed, so if there was no pollen seen on the paint brush from one donor, then I used another. I guess I could accurately describe the pollination theme as a round robin tournament, with the winners to be determined later. :lol: However, I only used the pollen from plants I like a lot, and which I felt could add interesting potential qualities in the seedlings. There were other choices as well, but nothing I felt would potentially add improvement to the progeny (speculation of course - who really knows for sure until it's done). So, it's all good... I think. ::wink:: At the least, the seedling batches will probably show some interesting variation.

Steph - nice job. Like your A. peglerae, these non-hybrid seedlings of A. melancantha I've got going are quite slow, also pudgy (and funny looking), and maybe got too much light (more red than I'd like to see - LED lighting). When I see they've gone too far with the light, evidenced by turning red, I put a colored lid sideways over the container, to filter some of that light, and then new leaves come back in green. For seedlings, I think green is good.
:))
2018 01 07 Aloe melanacantha .jpg
2018 01 07 Aloe melanacantha .jpg (120.74 KiB) Viewed 6645 times
Steph115
Ready to Bolt

Post by Steph115 »

Thanks, Spiny! I'm sure you are probably right about seedlings doing better when green. On goes the shade cloth!
Spination
Ready to Bolt

Post by Spination »

Made my day today! I thought yesterday perhaps the enigmatic, problematic (for me) A. castilloniae might finally be producing seed pods for me, after several failed attempts now previously. I didn't want to get too hopeful, but today when out there messing around again - there is no doubt now. Finally!
Wooo!
2018 01 11 Aloe castilloniae seed pods a.jpg
2018 01 11 Aloe castilloniae seed pods a.jpg (244.19 KiB) Viewed 6622 times
Definitely, those are seed pods in the making. D))
2018 01 11 Aloe castilloniae seed pods b.jpg
2018 01 11 Aloe castilloniae seed pods b.jpg (102.05 KiB) Viewed 6622 times
I was speculating as to why I couldn't get these to develop fruit, and I thought perhaps the pollen donor was incompatible, or that I just didn't do it right. So, I used pollen from several favorites available - 'Salt', 'Dark Shadows', 'Oik' (tried more with that), and 'Dracula's Blood'. I think 'Oik' will be at least one of the most likely pollen parents, but of course I don't know for sure - I'll have to figure it out later when I see what the results look like. I do know it's one or more of those anyway, and I'd be happy with any!
To address the worry that it was my technique (like maybe the stigma was deeper than usual inside the flower compared to others I have no problem with?) I shoved (gently) the brush very deep into the flower, with a twisting motion, to make absolutely sure pollen was getting in there.
Anyway, finally some seed pods!

Here it was 11 days ago, and one thing about castilloniae... there are only a few flowers, not much to work with!
2017 12 30 Aloe castilloniae #1 a.jpg
2017 12 30 Aloe castilloniae #1 a.jpg (94.26 KiB) Viewed 6622 times
Marlon Machado
Offset

Post by Marlon Machado »

Contratulations Tom! I look forward to see the results of this cross!
Spination
Ready to Bolt

Post by Spination »

Me too! I just ordered a new seedling heat mat, because I've run out of room on the 3 I've been using. There's 20 containers with seedlings right now, not counting a few more new freshly sown with no germination yet. However, I have pods drying, and more on the way - so time to dedicate more space so I can keep the ball rolling. D))
Spination
Ready to Bolt

Post by Spination »

A few in the hopper I'm excited about...
Seed parent
2017 10 04 Aloe Dark Shadows seed parent a.jpg
2017 10 04 Aloe Dark Shadows seed parent a.jpg (104.79 KiB) Viewed 6597 times
Seedlings
2018 01 15 Aloe Dark Shadow X seedlings.jpg
2018 01 15 Aloe Dark Shadow X seedlings.jpg (155.79 KiB) Viewed 6597 times
Seed parent
2017 08 20 Aloe ex DW Spain aa.jpg
2017 08 20 Aloe ex DW Spain aa.jpg (67.24 KiB) Viewed 6597 times
Seedlings
2018 01 15 Aloe ex DW SPAIN a.jpg
2018 01 15 Aloe ex DW SPAIN a.jpg (311.95 KiB) Viewed 6597 times
Seed parent
2017 07 20 Aloe Wiley Coyotee.jpg
2017 07 20 Aloe Wiley Coyotee.jpg (99.25 KiB) Viewed 6597 times
Seedlings - one went missing, but happy 6 are left. I didn't have high hopes to begin with, since there was only one pod to work with...
2018 01 15 Aloe Wiley Coyotee X seedlings.jpg
2018 01 15 Aloe Wiley Coyotee X seedlings.jpg (119.18 KiB) Viewed 6597 times
Spination
Ready to Bolt

Post by Spination »

Here is another seedling that caught my eye a while back and I've keeping tabs on. It's coming along, and looking pretty good... at least I think so. ::wink::
Aloe 'Sunrise' (S) X Aloe sladeniana (P)
2018 04 14 Aloe Sunrise S X Aloe sladeniana P.jpg
2018 04 14 Aloe Sunrise S X Aloe sladeniana P.jpg (138.57 KiB) Viewed 6562 times
johnbecker
Offset

Post by johnbecker »

Spination, you have an amazing seedling operation going here. Do you have a thread where you lay out your process for germination? I've spent a lot of time with the Dave's Garden thread by Geoff, and read a lot of posts on it, but am feeling insanely frustrated that I've been struggling to germinate seeds when it seems like it's so simple.

I think my main problem is that I don't have any good indoor space for it due to toddlers and no greenhouse, so I'm trying to germinate on a heat mat outside. But I'd love to read your step by step if it exists somewhere.
Spination
Ready to Bolt

Post by Spination »

Thanks for your kind words.

Here is one thread a few years ago where I did delineate what it is I did (post 13) with Aloe ferox seeds.
viewtopic.php?f=24&t=2719&p=8552" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Perhaps I have tweaked things a little since...

John, what is it you are doing exactly? If you feel your results are not satisfactory, perhaps there are some small tweaks that can be done to improve your method.

PS - I don't think the lack of indoor space is necessarily the issue... and you are using a heat mat...
johnbecker
Offset

Post by johnbecker »

Thanks for being willing to troubleshoot with me! Just read your post.

Seeds I'm using are all from seedpods snagged in the East Bay wild, so to speak. I'm trying some salm-dyckiana, some reitzii, and some thraskii x ferox. Those are all best guesses on parentage, of course. I know the reitzii and thraskii x ferox are viable because my friend has gotten seedlings out of them--he sowed 3-4 weeks ago and has two reitzii seedlings and ~12 thraskii seedlings.

I've been using Ultra Potting Mix from American Soil & Stone, and also have tried it mixed with pumice. It's my general succulent soil and what I had lying about. I ensured the soil was well moistened, but didn't nuke it or sterilize in the oven. Surface sowed the seeds in a seed germination kit from OSH--it's basically 2" plugs with a cover and a heat mat. Thin layer of rough sand atop them to hold them in place.

And that's pretty much it. The same process worked like gangbusters for some ferocactus seeds last year, but this is the 2nd year of trying to sow found aloe seeds with nothing to show for it. Driving me crazy.

Any advice? Is there a time of year by when they NEED to be sowed? Because if this crop really doesn't take I'd love to try again this spring.
Spination
Ready to Bolt

Post by Spination »

It seems what you're doing should work. Maybe it's too cold yet? I know you have a seedling heat mat, but you also stated it's outside. The mat provides bottom heat, but ambient cool temps might negate a lot of that.

This is what I do. Compared to the mixing of components in that thread from 4 years ago, I've simplified that. I don't make such a fuss about mixing ingredients together anymore. Nowadays I take a handful of cactus mix, dump it into the bottom of a tupperware-like container (small), and then a handful of Black Gold seed starter mix and dump on top of that. Wet, microwave a minute on high with the lid on (not sealed, just resting on top), cool, repeat 2 more times. Sow seeds on top (after final cooling), cover lightly with more seedling starter mix, mist. I keep the mix moist - and place on seedling heat mat (with lid on until germination to keep humidity high. Each day, I open, shake off the condensation from the lid, and lightly mist the surface again. The water I use to mist is spiked with H2O2. Once I get germination, I place the lid upside down, and askew to allow moisture to escape rather than condense - continuing the misting each day. I keep the container lid on for several weeks while the seedlings are growing to mitigate the strong LED lighting I use (which turns the seedlings red if I don't cover). Green plants grow, red ones not so much.

I guess the main difference with what I'm doing is that my germination/seedling area is inside a structure (although unheated) - so cold is mitigated and there is good ambient lighting but not direct sunshine.

Here's what my current seedling situation looks like - several seedling heat mats employed side by side so all containers are bottom heated. Lids on but not upside down means I'm still waiting on germination.
During the day, I shut off the LEDs and take all the lids off, towards the evening I turn the LED back on (shuts off late at night on timer, and back on in the AM by timer) and lay lids over all the containers so the seedlings are not "overdone" by the LED lights. Also, when it's 70 or better inside the structure during the day, I shut off the bank of seedling heat mats and turn back on around evening time. On cold days, they stay on 24-7. On dark days, the lights stay on daytime too.
2018 04 17 Aloe seedlings c.jpg
2018 04 17 Aloe seedlings c.jpg (205.86 KiB) Viewed 6521 times
2018 04 17 Aloe seedlings b.jpg
2018 04 17 Aloe seedlings b.jpg (194.08 KiB) Viewed 6521 times
And a couple of individual samples
2018 04 17 Aloe DB #18 X Kelly's Blue seedlings a.jpg
2018 04 17 Aloe DB #18 X Kelly's Blue seedlings a.jpg (203.28 KiB) Viewed 6521 times
2018 04 17 Aloe FANG seedlings a.jpg
2018 04 17 Aloe FANG seedlings a.jpg (253.87 KiB) Viewed 6521 times
Once seedlings are a sufficient size, I take that tub, carefully remove the seedlings and pot up individually in 1" x 2 1/2" pots, and they go out into completely different areas. No more lights, no more heat, but still protected inside greenhouse kits.
Sometimes organized on shelves
2018 04 17 Aloe seedlings - older a.jpg
2018 04 17 Aloe seedlings - older a.jpg (129.56 KiB) Viewed 6521 times
Otherwise stuffed here, there, everywhere - shelves, floor, where ever!
2018 04 17 Aloe seedlings - older b.jpg
2018 04 17 Aloe seedlings - older b.jpg (190.36 KiB) Viewed 6521 times
2018 04 17 Aloe seedlings - older c.jpg
2018 04 17 Aloe seedlings - older c.jpg (204.87 KiB) Viewed 6521 times
2018 04 17 Aloe seedlings - older d.jpg
2018 04 17 Aloe seedlings - older d.jpg (177.71 KiB) Viewed 6521 times
2018 04 17 Aloe seedlings - older e.jpg
2018 04 17 Aloe seedlings - older e.jpg (186.14 KiB) Viewed 6521 times
It's a mess :red: , but I know exactly where everything is D)) .
atenkley
Rhizome

Post by atenkley »

That's quite the set up! Thanks for giving us a glimpse. Is your greenhouse kit placed in full sun or shade? Because of it's small size, do you have to watch it closely for overheating? - Arlan
Spination
Ready to Bolt

Post by Spination »

Thanks. It's a bit of a mess as they are jam packed. There's 3 similar kits placed one after the other, but only the 2 newest ones are where I keep the Aloe seedlings that are past the whole seedling heat mat thing. They are about 12 feet from a high hedge to the west, so they get full sun until the sun passes over in the early afternoon. The kits have a "door" that completely opens up on one end, which I keep open during the day (unless it's cold/rainy). They're also equipped with screened "windows" along the sides, but I've found they're not really necessary except during the hottest part of summer when they are all open day and night. The kits are small I guess - 15' X 7' X 7', but I pack a lot of plants in each one utilizing shelves on the sides, and in the back. Each one also has an additional shade cloth covering, and no plants have ever fried inside, so I'd say over-heating has not been a problem.
johnbecker
Offset

Post by johnbecker »

What an operation you've got going there!

Thanks for the info on your process. I'm going to keep them going for a while and see if they're just slowing down because of air temperature. Looks like it's going warm up a bunch this week and next, so hopefully that'll get them going a bit.

More questions:
- Why the H202?
- Do you sow year round? Only at specific times of year? I might try to buy some seeds and give it another go later in spring if this crop doesn't produce seedlings.
- Do you sell plants? Where's your ebay page? That's an amazing collection!
Spination
Ready to Bolt

Post by Spination »

Yes, the warm up just might get them going.

Here's a link about Hydrogen Peroxide and gardening - it has many beneficial uses.
https://www.backyardboss.net/11-mega-re ... is-a-must/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

I do sow year around, but oddly, this is the second year now where I've seen a drop off in germination success around Jan-Feb. I haven't decided yet if it's just a coincidence, or what. If it happens again next year, I'll have to conclude there must be a connection. I believe I can rule out problems with technique, as it goes quite well the rest of the year. I'm thinking something to do with the cold, but not necessarily with the germination part (heat mats), but perhaps the seed production part (seed pod formation in cold weather?). :huh: Usually I'm germinating fresh seeds, so if the cold affected the quality of the seed as the pods were forming - that could make sense. One thing that supports that idea is I did recently germinate 2 year old plicatilis seeds that I knew were good, and those went fast and were no problem at all.

I do sell some plants on Ebay. It's low key, not a full time thing, and often I'll list and sell in spurts. There was more of it of late, partly to alleviate crowding, and it's also how I generate funds to acquire
other plants I may be looking to buy... a bit of a zero-sum thing going on. :lol: Usually, it's Agave offsets that I list, often variegated ones. Now that I have numerous Aloe seedlings that are a couple of years old, there's been some I've been selling on Ebay - particularly Aloe (Kumara) plicatilis seedlings that I have a lot of growing.
johnbecker
Offset

Post by johnbecker »

Here's a thought on the temperature track: how thick in total would you say the soil is in your tupperwares? I'm thinking about the plugs in the germination kit I got--they're tall and skinny, almost 2". Heat would barely get up to the top of them from the mat. If it's a thinner soil base with more surface area, it'd warm up much faster.
Spination
Ready to Bolt

Post by Spination »

I'd say I have 2-3" of soil mix in each container. But, all heat transferred though the container upward through the soil is trapped by the container lid. It's enough to keep condensation forming on the inside bottom of the lid.

Here's a new cross from one to another. Not too much to choose from at the moment, but I like both plants, and apparent success already as pods are forming on each.
2018 04 24 Aloe castilloniae S X Aloe Dragon P .jpg
2018 04 24 Aloe castilloniae S X Aloe Dragon P .jpg (173.32 KiB) Viewed 6481 times
and the opposite
2018 04 24 Aloe Dragon S X Aloe castilloniae P a.jpg
2018 04 24 Aloe Dragon S X Aloe castilloniae P a.jpg (116.63 KiB) Viewed 6481 times
Also, since flowers are still going on each, I donated pollen from 'Dragon' and castilloniae to today's new arrival - Aloe divaricata
2018 04 24 Aloe divaricata e _ cross with Aloe castilloniae.jpg
2018 04 24 Aloe divaricata e _ cross with Aloe castilloniae.jpg (224.15 KiB) Viewed 6481 times
mickthecactus

Post by mickthecactus »

IMG_3981.JPG
IMG_3981.JPG (114.25 KiB) Viewed 6458 times
Here are my seedlings for this year. Quite a few grass Aloes to test my skills ...
Spination
Ready to Bolt

Post by Spination »

Keep up the good work!!! :U
Spination
Ready to Bolt

Post by Spination »

I've seen this enough now to know this is how it goes. A hybrid seedling starts out rather nondescript, and each new leaf starts to show features in miniature more and more. I find that by the 4th leaf, I can tell if it's something I'm excited about, or not.
Here's a seedling from my ex DW - SPAIN starting to show leaf surface like what I was hoping for. There's still hope for others, but this one sticks out already. Spine-like structures on the leaf surface :U
2018 05 05 Aloe ex DW SPAIN a.jpg
2018 05 05 Aloe ex DW SPAIN a.jpg (195.3 KiB) Viewed 6428 times
Spination
Ready to Bolt

Post by Spination »

re: post #103 - those Aloe castilloniae seeds have germinated. The other castilloniae pods are fat but still waiting for harvest (post #117 X A. 'Dragon')

post #97 Aloe 'Salt' S x Aloe 'Gator' P seedlings growing

Also in post #97 (3rd photo down with seed parent on right and pollen parent on left) my first 2nd generation seeds germinated; seedlings growing from: Aloe descoingsii S X Aloe 'Salt' P, and then one of those seedlings crossed back to Aloe 'Salt'. So, (A. descoingsii S X Aloe 'Salt) X Aloe 'Salt'. Genetics-wise, I'm now 3/4 'Salt' with interesting recombinations of genetic traits and possibility for improvement with those features I'm most looking for (texture) within this next generation group.
2018 05 18 Aloe descoingsii x Salt S _ X Salt P _ 2nd Gen seedling.jpg
2018 05 18 Aloe descoingsii x Salt S _ X Salt P _ 2nd Gen seedling.jpg (141.63 KiB) Viewed 6366 times
Something else cool is this plant - after several failed attempts at successful pollination over the course of 2 years is finally producing pods...
Aloe 'Angelo' (aka 'Latte') Variegated
2018 05 19 Aloe Angelo Variegated X Aloe Salt a.jpg
2018 05 19 Aloe Angelo Variegated X Aloe Salt a.jpg (185.35 KiB) Viewed 6366 times
at least one skinny growing pod right there in the middle
2018 05 19 Aloe Angelo Variegated X Aloe Salt b.jpg
2018 05 19 Aloe Angelo Variegated X Aloe Salt b.jpg (225.99 KiB) Viewed 6366 times
and pollinated by.... yup... another 'Salt' :lol: Can't say I'm not consistent with what I like! ::wink::
2018 05 19 Aloe Salt X Aloe Angelo Variegated a.jpg
2018 05 19 Aloe Salt X Aloe Angelo Variegated a.jpg (234.85 KiB) Viewed 6366 times
and pods on it from the reciprocal cross with the 'Angelo' Variegated
2018 05 19 Aloe Salt X Aloe Angelo Variegated b.jpg
2018 05 19 Aloe Salt X Aloe Angelo Variegated b.jpg (110.7 KiB) Viewed 6366 times
Spination
Ready to Bolt

Post by Spination »

My first milestone with seedlings is the removal from their community tubs to continue life in their own individual pots. For a couple of days, I've had some fun potting up seedlings which were sown last fall. Bigger ones selected to pot individually, and smaller ones left to spend more time under LED and on seedling heat mats.
2018 05 25 Aloe Dark Shadows X and Aloe DW18 x Kelly's Blue b.jpg
2018 05 25 Aloe Dark Shadows X and Aloe DW18 x Kelly's Blue b.jpg (158.15 KiB) Viewed 6343 times
2018 05 25 Aloe DW SPAIN X seedlings a.jpg
2018 05 25 Aloe DW SPAIN X seedlings a.jpg (144.02 KiB) Viewed 6343 times
2018 05 25 Aloe DW 18 X Aloe Salt and Aloe Salt X Aloe DW 18 a.jpg
2018 05 25 Aloe DW 18 X Aloe Salt and Aloe Salt X Aloe DW 18 a.jpg (147.06 KiB) Viewed 6343 times
2018 05 25 Aloe Salt X Aloe DW 18 a.jpg
2018 05 25 Aloe Salt X Aloe DW 18 a.jpg (184.98 KiB) Viewed 6343 times
2018 05 25 Aloe Wiley Coyotee X seedlings.jpg
2018 05 25 Aloe Wiley Coyotee X seedlings.jpg (114.94 KiB) Viewed 6343 times
And an older seedling, another Aloe descoingsii X Aloe 'Salt' blooming for the first time, and pupping too... potted bigger today too.
2018 05 25 Aloe descoingsii X Aloe Salt seedling _ another blooming and pupping a.jpg
2018 05 25 Aloe descoingsii X Aloe Salt seedling _ another blooming and pupping a.jpg (104.9 KiB) Viewed 6343 times
Spination
Ready to Bolt

Post by Spination »

I was hoping eventually I would have an opportunity like this, looks like this is about as close as I could ever hope for. My 3 very favorite Dick Wright hybrids blooming at the same time, also very close together in development as well, with the bonus of one of my hybrids (descoingsii X 'Salt') also blooming at the same time too. Really hoping for a round-robin exchange of pollen between them all, and successful resulting seed pods. Unbelievable!
Now I just need some luck that all goes well.
2018 06 02 Aloe DW hybrids blooming a.jpg
2018 06 02 Aloe DW hybrids blooming a.jpg (121.48 KiB) Viewed 6314 times
2018 06 02 Aloe DW hybrids blooming b.jpg
2018 06 02 Aloe DW hybrids blooming b.jpg (155.81 KiB) Viewed 6314 times
Spination
Ready to Bolt

Post by Spination »

An interesting cross that yielded surprising variation among the seedlings is A. 'Sunrise' X A. 'Lavender Star'. A couple of my favorites sport the purple coloration of LS. Here's the biggest of those so far.
(Faded color on those 2 lowest leaves is from sunburn - oops)
2018 06 20 Aloe Sunrise X Aloe Lavender Star d.jpg
2018 06 20 Aloe Sunrise X Aloe Lavender Star d.jpg (298.08 KiB) Viewed 6294 times
2018 06 20 Aloe Sunrise X Aloe Lavender Star g.jpg
2018 06 20 Aloe Sunrise X Aloe Lavender Star g.jpg (211.3 KiB) Viewed 6294 times
An aging cross I made earlier on: Aloe 'Sunrise' X Aloe parvula. First one to bloom
2018 06 20 Aloe Sunrise X Aloe parvula f.jpg
2018 06 20 Aloe Sunrise X Aloe parvula f.jpg (244.67 KiB) Viewed 6294 times
Here's a different one illustrating the color change with some direct sun
2018 06 20 Aloe Sunrise X Aloe parvula a.jpg
2018 06 20 Aloe Sunrise X Aloe parvula a.jpg (201.33 KiB) Viewed 6294 times
An example of same genetics, and variation (whether A. 'Marmalade' X A. 'Dragon', or the opposite A. 'Dragon' X A. 'Marmalade')
all interesting
2018 06 18 Aloe Dragon S X Aloe Marmalade P and Aloe Marmalade S X Aloe Dragon P .jpg
2018 06 18 Aloe Dragon S X Aloe Marmalade P and Aloe Marmalade S X Aloe Dragon P .jpg (176.34 KiB) Viewed 6294 times
2018 06 18 Aloe Dragon S X Aloe Marmalade P #1.jpg
2018 06 18 Aloe Dragon S X Aloe Marmalade P #1.jpg (168.81 KiB) Viewed 6294 times
but still my favorite
2018 06 18 Aloe Marmalade S X Aloe Dragon P b.jpg
2018 06 18 Aloe Marmalade S X Aloe Dragon P b.jpg (156.26 KiB) Viewed 6294 times
Spination
Ready to Bolt

Post by Spination »

Results hoped for regarding the opportunity presented and depicted in post #123

This was a round robin pollination effort. Pollen went from this to that, and what exactly pollinated what - I don't really care. I'm actually thinking that there will be a mix of seeds from multiple combinations. Any of the possibilities successfully resulting in pods/seeds was all I could have hoped for.
I have seedlings growing from this plant as seed parent, but very much looking forward to these pods here...
2018 07 03 Aloe ex DW SPAIN a.jpg
2018 07 03 Aloe ex DW SPAIN a.jpg (131.74 KiB) Viewed 6264 times
2018 07 03 Aloe ex DW SPAIN b.jpg
2018 07 03 Aloe ex DW SPAIN b.jpg (160.56 KiB) Viewed 6264 times
This one is special in that I have had many opportunities to pollinate this hybrid with anything that was in bloom, and this is at long last the very first time I'm getting pods. The bonus is that any of the other pollen donors are going to move my breeding idea in the direction I was hoping for...
2018 07 03 Aloe ex DW Thai _Paul Hutchison P2 a.jpg
2018 07 03 Aloe ex DW Thai _Paul Hutchison P2 a.jpg (145.62 KiB) Viewed 6264 times
2018 07 03 Aloe ex DW Thai _Paul Hutchison P2 b.jpg
2018 07 03 Aloe ex DW Thai _Paul Hutchison P2 b.jpg (117.44 KiB) Viewed 6264 times
Again, several batches of seedlings growing from this plant as both seed parent and as pollen parent, but this cross, whichever one it is, is again highly anticipated.
2018 07 03 Aloe ex DW Salt a.jpg
2018 07 03 Aloe ex DW Salt a.jpg (144.28 KiB) Viewed 6264 times
2018 07 03 Aloe ex DW Salt b.jpg
2018 07 03 Aloe ex DW Salt b.jpg (78.65 KiB) Viewed 6264 times
The bonus is this is one of my A. descoingsii S X Aloe 'Salt' seedlings which happened to be blooming concurrently. It also benefited from pollen from the other 3. Any or all of the others may be responsible for any of the resulting seeds.
2018 07 03 Aloe descoingsii X Aloe Salt a.jpg
2018 07 03 Aloe descoingsii X Aloe Salt a.jpg (231.82 KiB) Viewed 6264 times
2018 07 03 Aloe descoingsii X Aloe Salt b.jpg
2018 07 03 Aloe descoingsii X Aloe Salt b.jpg (79.31 KiB) Viewed 6264 times