New Agave Hybrids released

Use this forum to discuss matters relating to Agave, Beschorneria, Furcraea, Hesperaloe, Hesperoyucca, Manfreda, Polianthes, Yucca and related species. This is where one posts unknown plant photos for ID help.
MJP
Ready to Bolt

Re: New Agave Hybrids released

Post by MJP »

Photos of the other Agave affinis pseudosalmiana
'Green Goblet' at PDN
'Green Goblet' at PDN
PDN Green Goblet - 1.jpg (132.04 KiB) Viewed 2207 times
'Logan Calhoun' at PDN
'Logan Calhoun' at PDN
PDN Logan Calhoun - 1.jpg (157.49 KiB) Viewed 2207 times
'Bellville' at PDN
'Bellville' at PDN
PDN Bellville - 1.jpg (142.72 KiB) Viewed 2207 times
JCRA form
JCRA form
JCRA pseudosalmiana - 1.jpg (85.19 KiB) Viewed 2207 times
my 'Saltillo'
my 'Saltillo'
Saltillo - 1.jpg (131.74 KiB) Viewed 2207 times
Luc
Ready to Bolt

Post by Luc »

What I meant is that Agave pseudosalmiana (Invalid name) must be rather scribed Agave aff. salmiana ( Scientific name ) and considering the form of the inflorescence and Zac's investigations, it would be better to call them Agave aff. gentryi or Agave aff. asperrima or to be more prudent, just Agave x 'Saltillo', Agave x 'Bellville' and so on.
But let's not play around whith it, it doesn't really matter.

In any event, thank you for these beautifull photos and let us know if you have other new informations.

And guys ! Nobody else to post your thoughts about the subject ! :?
MJP
Ready to Bolt

Post by MJP »

In my view, since these plants have a history of being called Agave salmiana, it is clearer, more helpful, and less confusing to call them Agave pseudosalmiana (the false salmiana) instead of assigning them to a taxon that they do not fit. So, in this logic, I shall continue to call them Agave pseudosalmiana even though that is not at this point a legitimate taxon. It does, however, give us an unconfused place to start. Then name may not last, but it has its use for now.
Paul S
Ready to Bolt

Post by Paul S »

Luc wrote:
And guys ! Nobody else to post your thoughts about the subject ! :?
My thoughts on this subject are that this conjecture is simply that - conjecture. A bit of armchair ruminating. Not sure it even makes it as far as a hypothesis. So to start ascribing a name to it seems a bit forward, really. But then, as I recently had pointed out to me, I am nothing but a European with no peer reviewed papers published and a Mexico tourist to boot, so my opinions count for very little.
Stone Jaguar
Ready to Bolt

Post by Stone Jaguar »

MJP:

Good luck with the hybrids. I hope they turn out to be successful in horticulture.

From my cursory read of this thread, it seems that you propose that a hybrid swarm or previously unidentified taxon deserves a new name. All good. However, the use of a lower case latinized epithet implies it is, or once was, a validly published species. When I read “pseudosalmiana” here, my first thought was that you meant “pseudotequilana” (syn.) and my subsequent thought was that I had missed the recent description of a new agave species.

As Luc points out, the descriptors “aff.” or “cf.” are fine when used to refer to or compare with a valid sp., so this might be properly refered to as “Agave aff. asperrima”, etc.

Without going too deep into this, as a suggestion for purposes of clarity and conformity with generally accepted norms, your plants might better be refered to on succulent plant fora as Agave sp. “pseudosalmiana” - with quotation marks, no italics.

J
KLC
Ready to Bolt

Post by KLC »

Paul S wrote:

My thoughts on this subject are that this conjecture is simply that - conjecture. A bit of armchair ruminating. Not sure it even makes it as far as a hypothesis. So to start ascribing a name to it seems a bit forward, really.
This is what I was thinking too^^^

Anything more from me on the subject would clearly demonstrate how little I know.
Don't California my Arizona!
MJP
Ready to Bolt

Post by MJP »

This is very simple - and definitely NOT meant to upset people.

The simple part is this:
1) These agaves ('Bellville'; 'Green Goblet'; JCRA clone; 'Logan Calhoun; 'Saltillo';) are not Agave salmiana; which leads to
2) We need to recognize this; which leads to
3) By what name shall we call them?

That is all.

I have made a suggestion for a name.

It is a start.
Stone Jaguar
Ready to Bolt

Post by Stone Jaguar »

Doesn’t seem anyone is even remotely upset. I was merely pointing out that your name as used earlier in the thread lends to confusion in that it suggests that it is a validly published species, which at this stage it apparently is not. If the description is currently in preparation or in press, then that should be indicated for clarity’s sake. The use of “pseudosalmiana” or any other “name” as written (bracketed, not italicized) seems fine for casual hort use by hobbyists to indicate an opinion of indeterminate status. If it turns out these plants are natural hybrids, other nomenclatural may rules apply.

Just my POV.
KLC
Ready to Bolt

Post by KLC »

Not upset at all friend.
Don't California my Arizona!
Paul S
Ready to Bolt

Post by Paul S »

I'm not remotely upset - amused, maybe, but nothing to be upset about here. :)

Edit - I was unable to find any specific location data on a cursory Google for some of these plants - anyone know? Agave 'Green Goblet' is from Sierra Chiquita TMPS but the other two? 'Bellville' description says it comes from Texas, in which case it is unlikely to have any gentryi in the mix?
abborean
Ready to Bolt

Post by abborean »

From the initial explanation I would think the intention of the name "pseudosalmiana" was clear. Nothing worse than plants being called something they are not. All of these plants are apparently cultivars of mixed ancestry. A nickname or cultivar name is preferable to calling a plant salmiana that is something else.
Paul S
Ready to Bolt

Post by Paul S »

The intention was clear enough - I don't think anyone is arguing or disputing that. It was the format that the name has been written that is questionable - as explained in posts #27 and #30.

I would additionally question the reasoning behind it as I believe some massive assumptions are being made - all with the the disclaimers and caveats of my post #29 , of course :)
abborean
Ready to Bolt

Post by abborean »

Paul S wrote:The intention was clear enough - I don't think anyone is arguing or disputing that. It was the format that the name has been written that is questionable - as explained in posts #27 and #30.

I would additionally question the reasoning behind it as I believe some massive assumptions are being made - all with the the disclaimers and caveats of my post #29 , of course :)
Was speaking to the topic in general Paul. Not your particular comment. Sorry about that.
MJP
Ready to Bolt

Post by MJP »

As for the possible genetics of the group - it is not difficult to surmise the likely species involved.

1) Zac Hill has already identified flower traits of these plants that are shared with Agave asperrima;
2) Wade Roitsch and Carl Schoenfeld (not too long ago) discovered a population of agaves that were produced from the mingling of three species: Agave asperrima; Agave gentryi; and Agave americana ssp. protamerica. From this population they removed an offset of a plant that they famously named 'Tres Equis' to signify this population of introgression of three agave species;
3) The group of green, non-salmiana agaves under discussion have forms that are very large ('Bellville' and 'Logan Calhoun') that in size rival Agave americana ssp. americana. Agave americana is the only large agave of the genus within the natural range of where these green agaves occur in habitat or as domesticates in surrounding areas.
4) Agave 'Saltillo' has red bracts - a trait of Agave gentryi and a trait not shared by Agave americana or Agave asperrima.
We therefore have as possible (seemingly likely) parental stock for Agaves 'Bellville'; 'Green Goblet'; JCRA clone; 'Logan Calhoun'; and 'Saltillo' the following species:
Agave americana; Agave asperrima; and Agave gentryi.
DesertDweller
Ready to Bolt

Post by DesertDweller »

DesertDweller wrote:
Melt in the Sun wrote:
MJP wrote:In 2016 three of my Agave ovatifolia bloomed.
They received pollen from - and donated pollen to - Plant Delights Nursery.
Three seedling batches of the hybrids that resulted have just been released by PDN.
1) Agave ovatifolia x flexispina aka 'Blue Rapture';
2) Agave [(lophantha x pseudosalmiana) x ovatifolia] aka 'Twisted Tongue';
3) Agave victoriae-reginae x ovatifolia aka 'Queens Whalecome'

have a look if you wish

https://www.plantdelights.com/collectio ... ue-rapture" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

https://www.plantdelights.com/collectio ... ted-tongue" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

https://www.plantdelights.com/collectio ... -whalecome" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Cheers,

Mike
Very cool...I have a soft spot for victoriae-reginae hybrids, but the price is gonna keep me away from that one :(
I was also tempted, but hard to make out from the pictures exactly how much they lean one way or the other. Maybe if they add better pictures of that one, but I struggled mightily and eventually spent the $$$ on some others they had on offer. Still tempted though. :frown:
So... I wanted to get A. gracilipes that PDN had added since my last order, but in an effort to fill out the box, I kinda fell off the wagon and added a 'Twisted Tongue' as well as one of those pricey A. v-r x ovatifolia hybrids. :oops:

Will add some pics of the hybrids once they're potted up. They just arrived today so still in quarantine and basking in some Forbid. Everything looks pretty good though. :U
Spination
Ready to Bolt

Post by Spination »

MJP wrote:As for the possible genetics of the group - it is not difficult to surmise the likely species involved.

1) Zac Hill has already identified flower traits of these plants that are shared with Agave asperrima;
2) Wade Roitsch and Carl Schoenfeld (not too long ago) discovered a population of agaves that were produced from the mingling of three species: Agave asperrima; Agave gentryi; and Agave americana ssp. protamerica. From this population they removed an offset of a plant that they famously named 'Tres Equis' to signify this population of introgression of three agave species;
3) The group of green, non-salmiana agaves under discussion have forms that are very large ('Bellville' and 'Logan Calhoun') that in size rival Agave americana ssp. americana. Agave americana is the only large agave of the genus within the natural range of where these green agaves occur in habitat or as domesticates in surrounding areas.
4) Agave 'Saltillo' has red bracts - a trait of Agave gentryi and a trait not shared by Agave americana or Agave asperrima.
We therefore have as possible (seemingly likely) parental stock for Agaves 'Bellville'; 'Green Goblet'; JCRA clone; 'Logan Calhoun'; and 'Saltillo' the following species:
Looks like I missed out of some of this discussion toward the end. The post quoted is very interesting! Great info! :U
DesertDweller
Ready to Bolt

Post by DesertDweller »

Here are some shots of the A. 'victorifolia' hybrid, for the curious:
A. 'victorifolia'
A. 'victorifolia'
IMG_7384.JPG (100.33 KiB) Viewed 2042 times
A. 'victorifolia'
A. 'victorifolia'
IMG_7391.JPG (44.56 KiB) Viewed 2042 times
A. 'victorifolia'
A. 'victorifolia'
IMG_7392.JPG (47.08 KiB) Viewed 2042 times
A. 'victorifolia'
A. 'victorifolia'
IMG_7393.JPG (62.22 KiB) Viewed 2042 times
Azuleja
Ready to Bolt

Post by Azuleja »

Jealous
MJP
Ready to Bolt

Post by MJP »

Well done!

To see is to want - and now I do ever so dearly want one.
Melt in the Sun
Ready to Bolt
USDA Zone: 9b

Post by Melt in the Sun »

Neato - I wonder if it will lose those spines as it grows, like many other v-r hybrids.
Bananaguy
Ready to Bolt

Post by Bananaguy »

Pretty cool looking and thanks for the pics.
Spination
Ready to Bolt

Post by Spination »

It is a great looking plant, and compliments on the photography - excellent close up shots.
agavegreg
Ready to Bolt

Post by agavegreg »

Stone Jaguar wrote:MJP:

Good luck with the hybrids. I hope they turn out to be successful in horticulture.

From my cursory read of this thread, it seems that you propose that a hybrid swarm or previously unidentified taxon deserves a new name. All good. However, the use of a lower case latinized epithet implies it is, or once was, a validly published species. When I read “pseudosalmiana” here, my first thought was that you meant “pseudotequilana” (syn.) and my subsequent thought was that I had missed the recent description of a new agave species.

As Luc points out, the descriptors “aff.” or “cf.” are fine when used to refer to or compare with a valid sp., so this might be properly refered to as “Agave aff. asperrima”, etc.

Without going too deep into this, as a suggestion for purposes of clarity and conformity with generally accepted norms, your plants might better be refered to on succulent plant fora as Agave sp. “pseudosalmiana” - with quotation marks, no italics.

J
I completely agree here that the use of made up names being italicized gives the impression that it is a valid species name when it is not. Maybe best to say Agave aff. salmiana, although in the case of 'Saltillo' I would say there is no relationship to A. salmiana based on the lack of large succulent bracts on the relatively thin stalk. However, I digress, when using names to address affinities to one species or another, it is best to use aff. and forego the use of the "pseudo-----", or simply write (pseudo-----) and forego quotes altogether as single quotes denotes a valid cultivar name and double quotes would be too similar. Also, hybrids should have the multiplication sign before the name.
MJP
Ready to Bolt

Post by MJP »

Spination wrote:
MJP wrote:As for the possible genetics of the group - it is not difficult to surmise the likely species involved.

Looks like I missed out of some of this discussion toward the end. The post quoted is very interesting! Great info! :U
MJP
Ready to Bolt

Post by MJP »

Thanks for all who gave guidance on proper use of nomenclature. Much appreciated.

Thanks too for all the thoughts on parentage or lack thereof.

I still think Agaves 'Bellville'; 'Green Goblet'; 'JCRA Clone; 'Logan Calhoun'; 'Saltillo'
1) form a coherent assemblage of cultivated selections; and
2) need a name other than Agave salmiana because they do not fit within the parameters of that species.

I beseech the populace of Agaveville to offer a way forward - or shall we simply keep calling them Agave salmiana?