Cold?

Discuss any and all issues that don't fit neatly into one of our other forum sections.
Stan
Ready to Bolt
USDA Zone: 10a

Re: Cold?

Post by Stan »

This winter is what I used to read about as the type in soucal. Plumeria with bloomstalks in early February. If this continues,it will beat my previous best by MONTHS. Usually I get a first bloom in late July. This has April written all over it. So far February is averaging 75f. Incredible.
Crappy photo sorry.
Attachments
IMG_8354.JPG
IMG_8354.JPG (67.81 KiB) Viewed 1367 times
Hayward Ca. 75-80f summers,60f winters.
Spination
Ready to Bolt

Post by Spination »

I can't ever recall scrambling to move stuff back outside from winter quarters and doing so much repotting this early in the year. And to think the AM of 1/26 we had another 32 F low right here, and the weather news talk was all about the cold sweeping across the country. Well, it's still cold in much of the country, but we've got this unbelievable spring weather already. The 10 day forecast and beyond shows more of the same.
Steph115
Ready to Bolt

Post by Steph115 »

That's so nice! It's still far too cold here. I'm looking forward to massive spring repotting as well. A lot of my plants are starting to look very sad inside.
Spination
Ready to Bolt

Post by Spination »

Sorry to hear Steph. What we have here isn't normal by any means. Highest low I've seen in weeks this 7 AM @ 50 F. I'm thinking more Bay Area record warmth for the date will fall yet again today. This time last year, all my plants were slumbering until March. This year, they'd be withering away if I wasn't already watering them like spring is already here. The good is that the ground is still damp, so the only watering I'm doing are all my potted plants, which admittedly are many. Hang in there!
Stan
Ready to Bolt

Post by Stan »

Same here- potted plants are getting the occasional spritz. And that's about 1.5 times a week.
Darn flu really robs me of lung power...did some repotting and was coughing and sucking for air like I did 50 pushups. Or three...
Spination
Ready to Bolt

Post by Spination »

In spite of 70s F daily highs of late, a reminder just what time of year this is anyway. 38 F this AM, an impressive near 40 degree drop over yesterday's high, sandwiched between another expected high today in the 70s. That's quite a swing in half a day...
Gee.S
Site Admin
USDA Zone: 9b

Post by Gee.S »

When the polar vortex hits Arizona soon, everyone can blame me. I just put an Agave pachycentra in the ground.
Agave
"American aloe plant," 1797, from Greek Agaue, proper name in mythology (mother of Pentheus), from agauos "noble," perhaps from agasthai "wonder at".

"Some talk the talk, others walk the walk, but I stalk the stalk"
Stan
Ready to Bolt

Post by Stan »

No Vortexes in Arizona's future, Better not..spring training. When it rains here? Nice to watch the Giants or A's play in 80f Scottsdale. It was 73f here today. Nice since they had said the 60's would start today.
Spination
Ready to Bolt

Post by Spination »

Close call - 33 F this AM, 10 degrees below yesterday's. The forecast was 37 F..........
Stan
Ready to Bolt

Post by Stan »

42f here. I was just getting into liking the 50's as the home needs no heat then.
Spination
Ready to Bolt

Post by Spination »

I got caught totally flat-footed. At around 4 AM, I finally saw the writing on the wall and ran out to throw sheets over stuff fast and dirty. The good thing is there was no dew point moisture covering anything, all dry surfaces, presumably due to late breeze yesterday evening. It's a little annoying that I moved a lot of sensitive stuff outdoors recently. A couple more degrees and it would have been a disaster. Tough to do the right thing with this sort of unprecedented situation. We've had a stretch of 70's F weather - hardly good for continued overwintering - yet possible subsequent freezing lows definitely not a good thing for me. I guess I'm banking that we stay above 32 F quite into Feb already... but 1/2 to a single degree is how close it was last night ...
Stan
Ready to Bolt

Post by Stan »

Santa Rosa 33f, Novato 36f and Fairfield 34f. Vancouver Canada, 27f. But,they are topping out at 47f. I think this year Hayward never went below 53 for a high. ..but those high 40's can really bite.
Spination
Ready to Bolt

Post by Spination »

Forecasts for the next several days have us inhabiting the lower half of the 30s F for lows. With a 35 F shown tonight, a +/- of 4 degrees seen early this AM, and a generally chilly day, best do a full round of covering tonight... :eek: Could easily be a 30 or 31 F by early morning.
Stan
Ready to Bolt

Post by Stan »

I saw ch7 call a *29f* for Napa. It's nippy out there right now in Hayward. I thought our mornings of 30's were past...but it has that feel to it.
Spination
Ready to Bolt

Post by Spination »

oooh....29 F sounds just about right, I'm afraid to say. Napa just 10 miles away. Anyway, I just did some covering. A bit irritating that I did such a good job putting my big Blood Spot, Chocolate Chips, and Silver Leopard away for the winter, among a lot of other things, and then brought them out during the warm streak we had. Now they're just covered in plastic huddled up with a group of other plants and I'll hope for the best. Already had a couple of years with the routine of foliage dying back (freeze) and then having to regrow during the year from underground rhizomes. Was hoping to start with full pots of foliage and building off of that this year. Anyway, 29F shouldn't be too bad, with covering...so probably worried over nothing.
It's a bit breezy out there though, so I'll have to make sure I check during the night to make sure covers haven't blown off. Anyway, a new year, and a new set of different challenges to cope with and try to stay out in front of.
Interesting times we live in... drought, then flooding, freezing, burning...and now the old cold-hot-back-to-cold fake-out play that completely bamboozled me this time around. :lol: The only thing missing is the big earthquake they say we are long overdue for.
Azuleja
Ready to Bolt

Post by Azuleja »

It was a warm spring like day and then this evening the wind started blowing cold air. We're going from lows in the mid 40s back to the mid 30s. Too bad there's no rain.
Spination
Ready to Bolt

Post by Spination »

Some whisper about possible rain circa the 24th....

Freeze scare was a fizzle - 36 by 7 AM was it, happily. A few more to get through, with a couple of 36s and a 34 in the forecast for the next several.
Azuleja
Ready to Bolt

Post by Azuleja »

Funny how me watering my plants makes the weather turn cold. Oh well, it's been so dry I figured they'd like a drink.
Stan
Ready to Bolt

Post by Stan »

Tomorrow might be colder in the morning..then warmer the rest of the week. Its been an ideal winter for tropical dry loving plants in the bay area. As good as we get that is. Not that its been a Yemen winter...
Spination
Ready to Bolt

Post by Spination »

LOL I've said it before, but forecasts appear to be something akin to guessing these days. In 3 days time - 37 forecast with 32 1/2 result. Next one close enough to 35 (although Stan says there was a call on local TV for 29?), and forecast for last night @ 36, but 42 the actual. On any given night, it can be circa 5 degrees lower, or 5 degrees higher. Just how useful is a 10 degree range when I'm trying to gauge whether or not I should be covering plants outside or not? I did cover last night, but due to more than what I would call a breeze, all my covers had blown off - no big deal since they weren't needed anyway.

I can't believe that suddenly, forecasting has changed for the worse as compared to the past, and they don't know what they're doing any more - because I can't ever remember such unreliable information like this in past years... But, A la Occam, it seems the simplest explanation for what's going on is that weather/climate has become so volatile, it's becoming literally unpredictable in terms of any semblance of accuracy from one day to the next to the next. Maybe it will be 5 degrees colder, or maybe 6 degrees warmer. :huh: The whole unsettling implication behind GW related climate change is that it's becoming more extreme... I.e. - hotter, colder, high incidence of new records,etc. It seems to me that the inability to even predict lows as I recall relying on without cause for question in the past, is just further evidence of what is becoming the new normal - volatility, unpredictability.

34 F forecast currently for tomorrow AM's low. So, maybe it will be 29. Or, maybe it will be 39. Great, that helps a whole bunch... :lol: I'll just cover everything, and either way, should be OK. I guess I should be happy they aren't predicting 30, where the potential range would be a real problem - maybe 25 (ouch!), or maybe 35.
Stan
Ready to Bolt

Post by Stan »

I think thats what they meant-Wednesday morning. But,I doubt it. Yesterday was a bit warmer then predicted. What I notice is...its warming up fast after the low..from low 40's to mid 50's by mid morning.
NO rains in sight for the duration. March better bring a pineapple express or two.
Azuleja
Ready to Bolt

Post by Azuleja »

It hailed here yesterday. I was already on the road when it started and couldn't move anything or cover anything up. It can't rain but it can hail.
Melt in the Sun
Ready to Bolt
USDA Zone: 9b

Post by Melt in the Sun »

Ouch! How big was the hail? Not that it takes anything large to do damage.
Spination
Ready to Bolt

Post by Spination »

oh Hail no! When Hail freezes over...

sorry - one of those days... ::roll::
Stan
Ready to Bolt

Post by Stan »

I see Accuweather says Thrurdays morning is going to be coldest. I don't know if that's a pushing back of the coldest warning or they just keep getting it wrong. Sunny as can be right now,I see low 60's for the day.