Dyckia platyphylla 2020.

Use this forum to discuss matters relating to xeric Bromeliads such as Hechtia, Dyckia, Puya, Tillandsia and related species. This is where one posts unknown plant photos for ID help.
Stan
Ready to Bolt
USDA Zone: 10a

Dyckia platyphylla 2020.

Post by Stan »

Its got the most blooms on it ever so I think its postable.
Attachments
IMG_2068.JPG
IMG_2068.JPG (234.82 KiB) Viewed 3432 times
Hayward Ca. 75-80f summers,60f winters.
Jkwinston
Ready to Bolt

Re: Dyckia platyphylla 2020.

Post by Jkwinston »

Looking very good Stan. I have a a few of these that I never planted in the ground as I dare not grow anything outfront as they disappear quite easily. Looking at how successful your plant has done, maybe this year I should give it a try. I have a few dyckias which I do like, but I will have to find some space to place them. Jkw
Stan
Ready to Bolt
USDA Zone: 10a

Re: Dyckia platyphylla 2020.

Post by Stan »

That reminds me Winston, When I first planted this? It went into light shock from potted plant in my backyard to front yard sun..leaves kind of burned and shriveled at first. After a few weeks of that I thought,not good and bent over to just pull the little plant out. I was going to just rip it out. Then I pulled..nothing. I pulled HARD :eek: ..lol,and that plant would not budge. It was just a 6" rosette. After two hands wouldnt do a thing? I left it. Darned if it didn't then adapt..grew those nice olive top and white below compact leaves. If you grow this in part sun? It becomes long leafed and kind of weedy looking. More like a Bromeliad. Full sun,its look is best.
Hayward Ca. 75-80f summers,60f winters.