Dyckia Id Suggestions

Use this forum to discuss matters relating to xeric Bromeliads such as Hechtia, Dyckia, Puya, Tillandsia and related species. This is where one posts unknown plant photos for ID help.
toditd
Ready to Bolt

Dyckia Id Suggestions

Post by toditd »

Last November I picked up a couple of these, ahem, "Agave Asstd" plants from the grocery store. They're from Altman Plant's "Cactus Collection". Well, obviously, they're neither cactus nor agave, but instead in the Bromeliaceae family. Most likely a Dyckia hybrid of some sort or other. I'm not too familiar with Dyckias, or the myriad of hybrids/cultivars out there, but they do resemble somewhat Dyckia 'Burgandy Ice'. Does anyone have any opinions on what this might be?

They definitely started complaining when our temperatures shot through the roof a few weeks ago. I've brought them inside and they're starting to perk back up a bit. These photos were taken before the summer heat arrived. For scale they're in a 3.5 inch wide pot. The underside of the leaves have a nice striation.

Thanks
Dyckia sp.
Dyckia sp.
IMG_3437.jpg (219.92 KiB) Viewed 3941 times
Dyckia sp.
Dyckia sp.
IMG_3438.jpg (160.32 KiB) Viewed 3941 times
Bananaguy
Ready to Bolt

Re: Dyckia Id Suggestions

Post by Bananaguy »

Can’t help ya with the id but they are nice looking. Pretty cool grocery store haha we just have normal plants, pineapples, banana plants, Aloe..
toditd
Ready to Bolt

Post by toditd »

Thanks. These are the only plants I've bought at a grocery store (other than those meant for eating). They have a little floral shop with the requisite overwatered small aloe veras, but usually nothing of much interest to me. Seems to have been a one time deal. Toward the end last year they had shelf cart with small succulents just inside the entrance. I had my eye on these for a couple weeks. They were among the few left when they jumped into my cart.

They're definitely due for a bigger pot now.
Salguod
Seedling

Post by Salguod »

I might suggest Dyckia brevifolia or a hybrid thereof.
Bananaguy
Ready to Bolt

Post by Bananaguy »

Welcome. Haha I hear ya with stuff jumping in the cart.
toditd
Ready to Bolt

Post by toditd »

Salguod wrote:I might suggest Dyckia brevifolia or a hybrid thereof.
D. brevifolia is a likely candidate. I don't expect I'll ever truly know what my two plants are. "Burgundy Ice" and "Cherry Choke" hybrids are pretty common hybrids these days. It could be one of those. I suspect my plants might have one or more of brevifolia, platyphylla, and fosteriana lineages in them.