Adeniums

Use this forum to discuss matters relating to succulent Asclepiads, including Stapelia, Huernia, Orbea, Adenium, Pachypodium and related species.

Moderator: mickthecactus

Jkwinston
Ready to Bolt

Adeniums

Post by Jkwinston »

All about Adeniums. Jkw

Stan
Ready to Bolt
USDA Zone: 10a

Re: Adeniums

Post by Stan »

Even when they survive a winter here outdoors under shelter Winston,they don't get enough heat in summer to bloom well if at all. The whole point of them goes up in smoke in cool summer climates. I would also bet our cooler summer nights are another big factor since they do well enough in socal.
Pachypodiums are a different animal..lucky there.
Hayward Ca. 75-80f summers,60f winters.
Jkwinston
Ready to Bolt

Re: Adeniums

Post by Jkwinston »

Stan wrote: Mon Jun 21, 2021 2:52 pm Even when they survive a winter here outdoors under shelter Winston,they don't get enough heat in summer to bloom well if at all. The whole point of them goes up in smoke in cool summer climates. I would also bet our cooler summer nights are another big factor since they do well enough in socal.
Pachypodiums are a different animal..lucky there.
You are so right. It is much more of a struggle here in the UK where we generally have a poorer supply of sun every year. At this moment I have 2 adult plants and to get it to bloom takes an effort of feeding and positioning in terms of the temperature/sun even in the greenhouse. I have given up generally growing them even to sell on Ebay, as they are are not worth the effort. It is much easier to grow agaves, and even sell them. Jkw