fouquieria macdougalii cold hardiness

Use this forum to discuss matters relating to the xeric genus Fouquieria. This is where one posts unknown plant photos for ID help.
necturus
Rhizome

fouquieria macdougalii cold hardiness

Post by necturus »

Hello,

Any idea how cold hardy Fouquieria macdougalii is?

I have one that's grown a lot over the last few years and took temps near freezing without flinching. I wasn't willing to risk it through our terrible winter storm and dug it up. I replanted it and it's leafing out and looking good. But it's final disposition will depend on how tough it really is. MSWN says zone 8 (10 F), but I don't know if I trust them (https://mswn.com/plants/fouquieria-macd ... -ocotillo/).
Minime8484
Offset

Re: fouquieria macdougalii cold hardiness

Post by Minime8484 »

necturus wrote: Sun Jul 11, 2021 6:37 pm Hello,

I have one that's grown a lot over the last few years and took temps near freezing without flinching. I wasn't willing to risk it through our terrible winter storm and dug it up. I replanted it and it's leafing out and looking good. But it's final disposition will depend on how tough it really is. MSWN says zone 8 (10 F), but I don't know if I trust them (https://mswn.com/plants/fouquieria-macd ... -ocotillo/).
Mine has survived lows to 23F, but it lost the distal 6" of outer branches. It regularly takes 28F without damage.
necturus
Rhizome

Post by necturus »

Minime8484 wrote: Mon Jul 12, 2021 8:05 am
necturus wrote: Sun Jul 11, 2021 6:37 pm Hello,

Mine has survived lows to 23F, but it lost the distal 6" of outer branches. It regularly takes 28F without damage.
Definitely doesn't sound zone 8 hardy then. Thanks.

I lost a F. formosa a few years ago in a bad freeze, another Fouquieria with some reports of cold hardiness online.
Meangreen94z
Ready to Bolt
USDA Zone: 8B

Post by Meangreen94z »

They sell them in the Austin area, I’ve read they’ll take mid to high teens. I haven’t tested mine below mid 20’s here.
Austin, Texas
necturus
Rhizome

Post by necturus »

Meangreen94z wrote: Tue Jul 13, 2021 4:44 pm They sell them in the Austin area, I’ve read they’ll take mid to high teens. I haven’t tested mine below mid 20’s here.
I bought my F. formosa in Austin at The Natural Gardener with a tag that said good to 20 and now it's dead. :roll:

My F. macdougalii came from Arid Lands by mail order and has grown very well. I am now leaning towards pot culture, although apparently I could grow it like a plumeria (dig up in the winter and leave in my garage, replant in the spring).
Gee.S
Site Admin
USDA Zone: 9b

Post by Gee.S »

Of all my Fouqs, F. formosa reacted most negatively to a relatively mild winter (went completely dormant), and reacts the most favorably toward our extreme heat and sun -- grows like crazy during summer.
Agave
"American aloe plant," 1797, from Greek Agaue, proper name in mythology (mother of Pentheus), from agauos "noble," perhaps from agasthai "wonder at".

"Some talk the talk, others walk the walk, but I stalk the stalk"
Meangreen94z
Ready to Bolt

Post by Meangreen94z »

necturus wrote: Tue Jul 13, 2021 6:04 pm
Meangreen94z wrote: Tue Jul 13, 2021 4:44 pm They sell them in the Austin area, I’ve read they’ll take mid to high teens. I haven’t tested mine below mid 20’s here.
I bought my F. formosa in Austin at The Natural Gardener with a tag that said good to 20 and now it's dead. :roll:

My F. macdougalii came from Arid Lands by mail order and has grown very well. I am now leaning towards pot culture, although apparently I could grow it like a plumeria (dig up in the winter and leave in my garage, replant in the spring).

That is true. Most xeric plants will lose significant hardiness in wet cold. The days leading up to the February freeze we had a night(Thursday before I believe ) that was predicting mid to low 20’s. I figured I would move or protect the plants that evening that might suffer. That day sleet and freezing rain moved in North of Austin where I’m at. Everything got covered in thick ice. I moved most everything in that night or the next. I had agave rated at 10*F in the desert that completely burned and disfigured from maybe 22-23*F and ice. There is a very narrow range of agave that do well out here when you figure ice and mid teens every 5 years or so. Asperimma, Ovatifolia, lopantha, and some of my PDN hybrids were the only ones that didn’t take significant damage.
Austin, Texas
Meangreen94z
Ready to Bolt

Post by Meangreen94z »

Gee.S wrote: Tue Jul 13, 2021 6:14 pm Of all my Fouqs, F. formosa reacted most negatively to a relatively mild winter (went completely dormant), and reacts the most favorably toward our extreme heat and sun -- grows like crazy during summer.
Yes, Fouquieria Splendens is probably the only one that can handle a winter out here, but also seems the most unhappy, or slow growing/reacting during summer. All my other Fouquieria grow like crazy and love the off and on wet/warm weather
Austin, Texas
Gee.S
Site Admin
USDA Zone: 9b

Post by Gee.S »

Meangreen94z wrote: Tue Jul 13, 2021 6:30 pm
Gee.S wrote: Tue Jul 13, 2021 6:14 pm Of all my Fouqs, F. formosa reacted most negatively to a relatively mild winter (went completely dormant), and reacts the most favorably toward our extreme heat and sun -- grows like crazy during summer.
Yes, Fouquieria Splendens is probably the only one that can handle a winter out here, but also seems the most unhappy, or slow growing/reacting during summer. All my other Fouquieria grow like crazy and love the off and in wet warm weather
So you never see F. columnaris around?
Agave
"American aloe plant," 1797, from Greek Agaue, proper name in mythology (mother of Pentheus), from agauos "noble," perhaps from agasthai "wonder at".

"Some talk the talk, others walk the walk, but I stalk the stalk"
Meangreen94z
Ready to Bolt

Post by Meangreen94z »

I had a relatively small one that ended up rotting in Houston. Most of my last yard was shaded half the day and it ended up being too much. It stayed green off and on but was not a fast grower. I plan on getting another but have every other Fouquieria for now.
Austin, Texas