Fockea edulis

Use this forum to discuss matters relating to Caudiciform and Pachyform fat plants. This is where one posts unknown plant photos for ID help.
Jkwinston
Ready to Bolt

Fockea edulis

Post by Jkwinston »

I have had an up and down relationship with this species. I am currently growing none of them, and it is great to see it in video.

Definitely worth growing. Jkw
Stan
Ready to Bolt
USDA Zone: 10a

Re: Fockea edulis

Post by Stan »

Had one for many years and it was our last rainy winter that it collapsed on me. The tuber never grew huge and was not ever going to be like a plant grown in ground and then dug up. Still,it had a nice giant carrot or those Baobabs that are like pillars,tuber. It had never shown a hint of cold damage all the years I had it. Just so rainy back in 2010 .
Hayward Ca. 75-80f summers,60f winters.
Jkwinston
Ready to Bolt

Post by Jkwinston »

Stan wrote: Sat Jul 10, 2021 2:20 pm Had one for many years and it was our last rainy winter that it collapsed on me. The tuber never grew huge and was not ever going to be like a plant grown in ground and then dug up. Still,it had a nice giant carrot or those Baobabs that are like pillars,tuber. It had never shown a hint of cold damage all the years I had it. Just so rainy back in 2010 .
For the first time in years I have none of these plants having killed the last one by leaving it in the greenhouse over winter; and yet it was a plant that bloom for me. They need special care in the UK winter I find as the slightest mistake can cause trouble. I will take a rest from them for a while. Jkw
Dylan
Seedling

Post by Dylan »

I purchased one of these about four years ago. I planted some of its seed and ended up with at least 50 plants. I tried planting several of them in the ground and others in pots. Some died but many of them are doing well planted in ground and even one of the seedlings set seed this year. Here is a picture of the original plant from four years ago and it again today and another of one of the seedlings. I really need to prune them back as they are vining all over the place. Most of them stop growing in the winter but still maintain some leaves and others grow year round. plant.
Attachments
Fockea Seedling.jpg
Fockea Seedling.jpg (277.81 KiB) Viewed 3140 times
Fockea 2021.jpg
Fockea 2021.jpg (379.48 KiB) Viewed 3140 times
Fockea.edulis.jpg
Fockea.edulis.jpg (136.9 KiB) Viewed 3140 times
Jkwinston
Ready to Bolt

Post by Jkwinston »

Dylan wrote: Thu Jul 22, 2021 9:58 pm I purchased one of these about four years ago. I planted some of its seed and ended up with at least 50 plants. I tried planting several of them in the ground and others in pots. Some died but many of them are doing well planted in ground and even one of the seedlings set seed this year. Here is a picture of the original plant from four years ago and it again today and another of one of the seedlings. I really need to prune them back as they are vining all over the place. Most of them stop growing in the winter but still maintain some leaves and others grow year round. plant.
thank you. Very nice to see how they are growing. I no longer have any adult plants. Jkw