Aloes- The Definitive Guide

Use this forum to announce, discuss, and review literature, preferably print, relevant to our xeric gardening interests.

Moderator: DesertDweller

Ferdinand
Rhizome

Aloes- The Definitive Guide

Post by Ferdinand »

Aloes- the definitive guide, by S.Carter, J J Lavranos, L E Newton and C C Walker.

It is the most comprehensive book I've come across and is part of the Kew Royal Botanic Gardens book range. I've only ever been able to find one copy and it was extortionately priced- but it remains worth the money,a first rate book.
Attachments
IMG_20210717_112427815.jpg
IMG_20210717_112427815.jpg (346.89 KiB) Viewed 4245 times
IMG_20210717_112420562.jpg
IMG_20210717_112420562.jpg (271.16 KiB) Viewed 4245 times
IMG_20210717_112359688.jpg
IMG_20210717_112359688.jpg (341.9 KiB) Viewed 4245 times
Meangreen94z
Ready to Bolt
USDA Zone: 8B

Re: Aloes- The Definitive Guide

Post by Meangreen94z »

I will put that one on my list
Austin, Texas
Paul S
Ready to Bolt

Post by Paul S »

I have a slight reservation about this book.

I was (and still am) searching for a red flowered Aloiampelos striatula. On p552 there are nice pics of different flower colour forms, including a good red. I asked Ondine at Silverhill Seeds if she knew anything of these and she said she would ask the photographer, who she knows. This was his reply:
That picture is one of many mistakes made by the authors in the Definitive Guide. That picture is mine, that's right, but it is of Aloe tessieri from Madagascar and certainly not A.striatula. Out of the 60 pictures I have given for the book about 10 of them have been allocated to wrong species. John Lavranos was not happy about the book but for some reason it had to be published in a hurry with very little time if any for proper proofing.
Still by far the most comprehensive but how reliable? Perhaps not definitive.
mcvansoest
Location: Tempe, Arizona, USA ie. Low Desert & Urban Heat Island
USDA Zone: 9a/b

Post by mcvansoest »

This screams for a 2nd edition with or solely as a PDF version. It is nice to have a physical book, but given that among others this is/was aimed at the amateur collector/enthusiast and is not just a scientific treatise the pricing was exorbitant, and certainly is now that it is out of print. I get why a first edition may not get a PDF version so that sales of the physical book get boosted, but to keep something like this OOP in this day and age seems archaic.
It is what it is!
mickthecactus

Post by mickthecactus »

I use it a lot.

Paul’s comments are slightly worrying.
Ferdinand
Rhizome

Post by Ferdinand »

That is fascinating and yes, very sad to hear. With all the effort that goes into compiling something like this, you'd think the proof reading and getting the final product just right would be paramount for all involved.
I like that : 'definitive- perhaps not!' Lol

Paul S wrote: Sun Aug 01, 2021 8:31 am I have a slight reservation about this book.

I was (and still am) searching for a red flowered Aloiampelos striatula. On p552 there are nice pics of different flower colour forms, including a good red. I asked Ondine at Silverhill Seeds if she knew anything of these and she said she would ask the photographer, who she knows. This was his reply:
That picture is one of many mistakes made by the authors in the Definitive Guide. That picture is mine, that's right, but it is of Aloe tessieri from Madagascar and certainly not A.striatula. Out of the 60 pictures I have given for the book about 10 of them have been allocated to wrong species. John Lavranos was not happy about the book but for some reason it had to be published in a hurry with very little time if any for proper proofing.
Still by far the most comprehensive but how reliable? Perhaps not definitive.