A narrow leafed Pachypodium lamerei.

Use this forum to discuss matters relating to succulent Asclepiads, including Stapelia, Huernia, Orbea, Adenium, Pachypodium and related species.

Moderator: mickthecactus

Stan
Ready to Bolt
USDA Zone: 10a

A narrow leafed Pachypodium lamerei.

Post by Stan »

One thing about this particular plant is that it might have been grown from seed collected in Madagascar from what I was told. What's stood out to me over the years is how narrow the leaves are compared to most of these that have wider almost Plumeria like foliage. In winter,the leaves would be almost black..that trait has faded over the least few years.
It looks like the bottle form is going to inflate mid trunk or so one day. I really miss one I had that had a fat trunk and did not survive a transplant. This one has been here since 2006 from a 6" clay pot. Last year was first flowering ..now again at 6' tall.
I've seen photos of large ones in Madagascar and they lose the thorns when they morph into tree heights. fwiw.
Attachments
IMG_3729.jpg
IMG_3729.jpg (214 KiB) Viewed 5119 times
IMG_3728.jpg
IMG_3728.jpg (342.85 KiB) Viewed 5119 times
IMG_3724.jpg
IMG_3724.jpg (282.64 KiB) Viewed 5119 times
Hayward Ca. 75-80f summers,60f winters.
SteveK
Rhizome

Re: A narrow leafed Pachypodium lamerei.

Post by SteveK »

Nice. Mine just bloomed for the first time after struggling for awhile. I’m hoping for it to branch afterwards.
Azuleja
Ready to Bolt

Post by Azuleja »

It's beautiful. I love mine but it hasn't branched or bloomed yet.
Stan
Ready to Bolt
USDA Zone: 10a

Post by Stan »

Thanks!
Mine only branched when it did because a frost nipped it. I was lucky not to lose any trunk..just the growing tip.
Hayward Ca. 75-80f summers,60f winters.