Agave Book To Add To Your Library…

Use this forum to announce, discuss, and review literature, preferably print, relevant to our xeric gardening interests.

Moderator: DesertDweller

Paul S
Ready to Bolt

Re: Agave Book To Add To Your Library…

Post by Paul S »

As things stand it costs $38 for the book and an eye-popping $90 to ship it to the UK. There was talk about getting a bulk order but apparently the shipping cost per item works out exactly the same, there is only a reeduction in the cost of the book. As you say, Ron, it wil eventualy be released via Amazon so I'll wait for that unless a cheaper means of shipping can be found.
agavegreg
Ready to Bolt

Post by agavegreg »

MikeyDude wrote: Sun Oct 31, 2021 6:29 pm Abborean, the book describes approximately 148 species and their related subspecies and 14 hybrid cultivars. I don't see this book changing the natural order of the agaves grown in habitat or of agaves cultivated for the enthusiast and collector, but a reflection of where the interests are of the agave nation. Also provides input and photos from some of the giants in the field such as Brian Kemble, Jeff Chemnick, Gerhard Bock, Julia Etter, Kelly Griffin and Tony Krock oh and Randy Baldwin.
Huh! I noticed one of the giants in the field was left off the above list. :lol: :lol: :lol:
OWgave
Ready to Bolt

Post by OWgave »

agavegreg wrote: Fri Dec 17, 2021 3:35 pm
MikeyDude wrote: Sun Oct 31, 2021 6:29 pm Abborean, the book describes approximately 148 species and their related subspecies and 14 hybrid cultivars. I don't see this book changing the natural order of the agaves grown in habitat or of agaves cultivated for the enthusiast and collector, but a reflection of where the interests are of the agave nation. Also provides input and photos from some of the giants in the field such as Brian Kemble, Jeff Chemnick, Gerhard Bock, Julia Etter, Kelly Griffin and Tony Krock oh and Randy Baldwin.
Huh! I noticed one of the giants in the field was left off the above list. :lol: :lol: :lol:
:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:
"My worst fear is, when I die, my wife will sell my agaves at the prices I told her at what I got them for" :frown:
MikeyDude
Ready to Bolt

Post by MikeyDude »

Yep, I did miss the mention of another behemoth and enormous influence in the field, Greg Star. And of course his great book on agaves.
agavegreg
Ready to Bolt

Post by agavegreg »

MikeyDude wrote: Mon Dec 20, 2021 1:40 pm Yep, I did miss the mention of another behemoth and enormous influence in the field, Greg Star. And of course his great book on agaves.
Oh, right, thanks. I was thinking along the lines of Tony Avent, Wendy Hodgson, and Abisai Garcia-Mendoza. :D All who have contributed greatly to the genus, each in their own way. Certainly much more so than a couple others on the list. :lol:
Gee.S
Site Admin
USDA Zone: 9b

Post by Gee.S »

^ Pretty sure this fine book is a collaboration of the CA-only club.
Agave
"American aloe plant," 1797, from Greek Agaue, proper name in mythology (mother of Pentheus), from agauos "noble," perhaps from agasthai "wonder at".

"Some talk the talk, others walk the walk, but I stalk the stalk"
agavegreg
Ready to Bolt

Post by agavegreg »

Gee.S wrote: Mon Dec 20, 2021 2:01 pm ^ Pretty sure this fine book is a collaboration of the CA-only club.
I do believe you are right.
abborean
Ready to Bolt

Post by abborean »

I am enjoying the book thoroughly. It's a colorful add on to the drier more scientific works like Gentry. Serves its purpose well and especially liked their treatment of lophantha. Am a cheapskate and have only bought books I felt were necessary. Actually started with Irish and Irish almost immediately followed by Gentry (which is falling apart). After a long book buying hiatus I got Greg's excellent work. As a book suggestion I'd like to see an agave book produced at Plant Delights featuring their agavacea offerings, some original, over the years. I'd buy that one as well!
Gee.S
Site Admin
USDA Zone: 9b

Post by Gee.S »

Finally available on Amazon, so you folks across the pond can order without the big shipping cost.
Agave
"American aloe plant," 1797, from Greek Agaue, proper name in mythology (mother of Pentheus), from agauos "noble," perhaps from agasthai "wonder at".

"Some talk the talk, others walk the walk, but I stalk the stalk"
OWgave
Ready to Bolt

Post by OWgave »

Gee.S wrote: Sat Feb 12, 2022 9:47 pm Finally available on Amazon, so you folks across the pond can order without the big shipping cost.
Thanks for the update 👍🏽

OWgave
"My worst fear is, when I die, my wife will sell my agaves at the prices I told her at what I got them for" :frown:
Paul S
Ready to Bolt

Post by Paul S »

Gee.S wrote: Sat Feb 12, 2022 9:47 pm Finally available on Amazon, so you folks across the pond can order without the big shipping cost.
That's better! £35.69 and, unbelievably, free delivery from the US. Thanks for the heads up, Ron! I'll broadcast it on the UK forum.
edds
Ready to Bolt
USDA Zone: A wet 8b!

Post by edds »

I can't find it on Amazon UK or to order on .com at this moment. Have you got a link Paul?

Ignore me - just found it! Being thick on a Sunday morning!
Nottingham, UK
Meangreen94z
Ready to Bolt
USDA Zone: 8B

Post by Meangreen94z »

It is an impressive book
Austin, Texas
Empyreal

Post by Empyreal »

Anyone have the book I'd love to get a copy as it seems like is it sold out or discontinued!
OWgave
Ready to Bolt

Post by OWgave »

It seems to be sold out. But there will be second printing due to come out in the fall of 2024.

It is a fantastic book to have if you love agaves.

Good Growing,
OWgave