Thrips

Use this section to discuss matters relating to any and all issues involving horticultural pest and disease management. This is where one posts unknown pest/damage photos for ID help.
meridannight
Offset

Thrips

Post by meridannight »

I recently discovered that most of my houseplants have been infested with thrips somehow. I've never had them yet, and I've generally been able to keep my plants mostly pest-free during my few years of horticulture. But I recently started a new job which takes up a lot more hours than my old job, and due to that I have had less and less time to deal with and observe my plants. Which, in my opinion, is one of the reasons this problem has gotten so out of control that most of my plants have thrips on them.

Anyway, my actual question is this -- do thrips even infest aloes and agaves? I have the awful bugs on my palms, philodendrons, my ficus tree, strelitzias, pretty much everywhere. But my aloes and agaves seem to be untouched. I'm currently throwing everything outside that has these pests on them and separating them from the rest of my plants. But it seems to me that aloes and agaves are more resistant to thrips, maybe due to their thicker fleshy leaves...

Has anybody had thrips infest their succulents? Just trying to get a heads up on how concerned I should be about that.
Species I'm growing from seed: Agave nizandensis, Agave difformis, Agave parryi, Agave schidigera, Aloe alooides, Aloe manandonae, Aloe dhufarensis, Aloe barbara-jeppeae, Hyophorbe verschaffeltii, Kerriodoxa elegans, Johannesteijsmannia altifrons, Chrysalidocarpus leptocheilos, Licuala grandis.
Gee.S
Site Admin
USDA Zone: 9b

Re: Thrips

Post by Gee.S »

I have not, and have never heard of any agave or aloe collectors complaining about them.
Agave
"American aloe plant," 1797, from Greek Agaue, proper name in mythology (mother of Pentheus), from agauos "noble," perhaps from agasthai "wonder at".

"Some talk the talk, others walk the walk, but I stalk the stalk"
Melt in the Sun
Ready to Bolt
USDA Zone: 9b

Post by Melt in the Sun »

I once had some in a couple Yucca species, but none in aloe or agave.
meridannight
Offset

Post by meridannight »

Thanks. Was hoping to hear something like that. My aloes and agaves are all still clean as well.
Species I'm growing from seed: Agave nizandensis, Agave difformis, Agave parryi, Agave schidigera, Aloe alooides, Aloe manandonae, Aloe dhufarensis, Aloe barbara-jeppeae, Hyophorbe verschaffeltii, Kerriodoxa elegans, Johannesteijsmannia altifrons, Chrysalidocarpus leptocheilos, Licuala grandis.