White Spots on Lophocereus Marginatus

Use this section to discuss matters relating to any and all issues involving horticultural pest and disease management. This is where one posts unknown pest/damage photos for ID help.
bigdaddyscondition
Ready to Bolt

White Spots on Lophocereus Marginatus

Post by bigdaddyscondition »

This Lophocereus marginatus has a florid infestation of white spots. Some kind of scale? I would appreciate any identification and treatment recommendations from our experts on this forum.

Lophocereus marginatus 3-Mark Campbell.jpg
Lophocereus marginatus 3-Mark Campbell.jpg (271.96 KiB) Viewed 2084 times
Lophocereus marginatus 2-Mark Campbell.jpg
Lophocereus marginatus 2-Mark Campbell.jpg (253.52 KiB) Viewed 2084 times
plantguy
Ready to Bolt

Re: White Spots on Lophocereus Marginatus

Post by plantguy »

I wouldn't call myself an expert on cacti by any means, but I'd say it's scale. As for treatment I have no clue... For an id I would recommend a closeup.
mcvansoest
Location: Tempe, Arizona, USA ie. Low Desert & Urban Heat Island
USDA Zone: 9a/b

Post by mcvansoest »

Yeah looks like some kind of scale. I would see if you can hose it off with highish pressure water, then wipe down with alcohol and/or insecticidal soap and find a good systemic. Water in the systemic and monitor for any quick return - hose again if that worked before if scale returns. Once the systemic kicks in they will probably stop returning.

At least this cactus is not too spiny so wiping it down is doable. If the plant sees a lot of sun I would not apply any chemicals to its surface until the sun it mostly gone so towards the end of the day.
It is what it is!
bigdaddyscondition
Ready to Bolt

Post by bigdaddyscondition »

mcvansoest wrote: Thu Nov 03, 2022 8:40 am Yeah looks like some kind of scale. I would see if you can hose it off with highish pressure water, then wipe down with alcohol and/or insecticidal soap and find a good systemic. Water in the systemic and monitor for any quick return - hose again if that worked before if scale returns. Once the systemic kicks in they will probably stop returning.

At least this cactus is not too spiny so wiping it down is doable. If the plant sees a lot of sun I would not apply any chemicals to its surface until the sun it mostly gone so towards the end of the day.

Just saw this, mc. Thanks!