When Firesticks wont turn red...

Use this forum to discuss matters relating to succulent Euphorbiaceae genera far too plentiful to enumerate. This is where one posts unknown plant photos for ID help.
Stan
Ready to Bolt
USDA Zone: 10a

When Firesticks wont turn red...

Post by Stan »

That tall one I have has this year failed to turn red. It was red last year when shorter. My shoulder tall one has turned red and does every year. Do you think the tall one has reverted to green for good? If so,I would remove it.
Anybody seen them just outgrow being red?
Hayward Ca. 75-80f summers,60f winters.
plantguy
Ready to Bolt

Re: When Firesticks wont turn red...

Post by plantguy »

I can't recall seeing any do this, although I haven't seen very many. I would say an entire plant reverting in one year would be quite unusual...Maybe too much water or nitrogen?
mcvansoest
Location: Tempe, Arizona, USA ie. Low Desert & Urban Heat Island
USDA Zone: 9a/b

Post by mcvansoest »

I know that there is definitely some info out that that would suggest that with age/size these stop getting as fiery red as they are when smaller/younger. I do not know if this is true, I think it could be, but I'd certainly give it some time, before chopping anything down.

I am not sure if this a size or age, or size and age thing. My firesticks got really bushy and somehow lost half its height over the last year - I think things started leaning over, however it is such a mess now that it is hard to see what is truly going on. I will have to take a look at its color and see how it is doing color wise.

However do remember that under the right stress conditions normal non firesticks tirucallis can go a little orangey as well.
It is what it is!
Stan
Ready to Bolt

Post by Stan »

Firesticks is a real roll of the dice. The tall one is a cutting from the shorter one. The tall one would turn red every year also...except this year only a few inches near the top is red. Under that,its greenish and greenish -yellow. So the auxins and DNA are hard to predict.
Stan
Ready to Bolt

Post by Stan »

It's gotten a bit redder..a few more lows in the 40's are slowly working on it. The shrub 'Sticks is all red already.