Looking for opinion on palm species

Use this forum to discuss matters relating to Areca, Bismarckia, Brahea, Jubaea, Parajubaea, Phoenix and other Palm species. This is where one posts unknown plant photos for ID help.

Moderator: Geoff

plantguy
Ready to Bolt

Looking for opinion on palm species

Post by plantguy »

Just wondering if anyone had recommendations for houseplant palms... I am looking for something not crazy expensive (more than $75) and easily found at 4+ feet tall. I also would like it to be something other than a parlor palm... Something exotic but not so much that it's expensive.
Stan
Ready to Bolt
USDA Zone: 10a

Re: Looking for opinion on palm species

Post by Stan »

Howea,Syagrus weddelliana,Caryota mitis,Dypsis decaryi..you can find small ones on the internet. You can get creative and try Bismarckia for a big sunny window. Macarthur palm and Manila palm are good too.
Hayward Ca. 75-80f summers,60f winters.
plantguy
Ready to Bolt

Post by plantguy »

Are any of those fairly fast growing?
Stan
Ready to Bolt

Post by Stan »

Manila Palm seems to be especially fast as a houseplant. Caryota mitis is a clumper,so can give you bulk without great height. But the Manila palms with the curved leaves and nice ringed trunk might be your best bet. I've heard stories of them adding trunk feet fast indoors. A few years instead of decades like some palms...
plantguy
Ready to Bolt

Post by plantguy »

I was also really looking for stuff like Johannesteijsmannia... Large, round, undivided leaves
Stan
Ready to Bolt

Post by Stan »

For that,you might peruse YouTube and see if all the new houseplants channels has it. Also- the Syagrus is another said to thrive indoors. Most palms can take the low light of a sunny window ( compared to the outdoors) but some can't take the dry air at all. The more exotic looking the palm,the harder to keep is the general rule.