Aeonium 'Big Bang'

Use this forum to help with identification issues and to show off your beautiful plants, one species, subspecies, and cultivar at a time.

Moderator: Aeonium2003

Forum rules
This section is dedicated toward maintaining one active thread for each Crassulaceae species/subspecies/variety/cultivar. Please feel free to add information and/or photos to existing threads or start your own by adding Genus/species as the thread subject. Note that listings are displayed alphabetically. Enjoy!
edds
Ready to Bolt
USDA Zone: A wet 8b!

Aeonium 'Big Bang'

Post by edds »

Rosette close up
Rosette close up
PXL_20210712_184741824.jpg (252.65 KiB) Viewed 2863 times
The plant grows in similar fashion to 'Zwartkop', its presumed parent.
Nottingham, UK
Viegener
Ready to Bolt
USDA Zone: 10b

Re: Aeonium 'Big Bang'

Post by Viegener »

'Big Bang' came to me listed as a variegated 'Blushing Beauty.'
Attachments
Aeonium 'Bigbang' Mar'23.jpeg
Aeonium 'Bigbang' Mar'23.jpeg (558.13 KiB) Viewed 1884 times
edds
Ready to Bolt

Post by edds »

Viegener wrote: Mon Mar 13, 2023 9:10 pm 'Big Bang' came to me listed as a variegated 'Blushing Beauty.'
This is a different clone to the one pictures above. The streaked variegation seems to have been induced in a large number of different forms. I currently have the Big Bang clone pictures above and 'Big Bang Plus' and 'Big Bang Rose' (a streaked mutation from Madeira Rose/Halloween). I think the original is a streaked Zwarktop.
Nottingham, UK
Viegener
Ready to Bolt

Post by Viegener »

Yes, the leaf tips are different though the streaking is much the same. I suspect that all of these clones have mixed up names, or that often two clones will have the same name, etc...
edds
Ready to Bolt

Post by edds »

I think they are treating a range of existing cultivars with colchicine or similar to generate the new variegations and what is happening is that they are getting similar end results from different starting points.

So these need to be kept with their different given names until we know for sure that they originate from the same clone as they are as different from each other as Blushing Beauty is to Zwarktop.
Nottingham, UK
Viegener
Ready to Bolt

Post by Viegener »

Intersting, possibly so, though colchicine usually only causes polyploidy, doubling, tripling, etc, the chromosomes. I think they may be putting unvariegated cultivars into tissue culture, which is more likely to produce variegated results, though not often. But if you make hundreds of clones, some variegation is likely to occur. And clearly, there is a market for these new plants. This would explain how many differently named new cultivars are attributed to 'Blushing Beauty,' the Catlin hybrid. 'Zwartkop' is not my favorite cultivar because it makes such lanky, unbranched stalks. But of course it brought in all the red coloration to the genus.

Colchicine is super toxic & really shouldn't be used outside of a lab...
edds
Ready to Bolt

Post by edds »

Cochicine is also a mutagen as well as producing polyploidy but radiation and tissue culture have also been mooted as possible origins of all these faulty bizarre cultivars.

Whatever the cause though it is important not to mix and confuse these different, but very similar cultivars and I would keep yours labelled as 'Blushing Beauty Variegate' for now.
Nottingham, UK
Epiphyte
Offset

Post by Epiphyte »

my 2 big bangs produce heads with a continuum of patterns ranging from fully reverted, to subtle streaking (like Viegener's), to stark streaking (like edds'). a couple months ago i cut off all the heads except for the starkly streaking ones and gave them to a friend. my big bangs are already way past due for another major beheading.

ink painting might be even more variable. pink witch is perhaps a bit less variable.

super bang, medusa and peacock seem stable. their heads are as consistent as mardi gras.

then again i suppose there aren't any plants that are perfectly stable. every plant is capable of randomly producing a sport mutation.