ID please - something sedum-ish

Use this forum to discuss matters relating to Aeonium, Crassula, Dudleya, Echeveria, Kalanchoe, Rhodiola, Sedum, Sempervium and related species. This is where one posts unknown plant photos for ID help.

Moderator: Aeonium2003

Paul S
Ready to Bolt

ID please - something sedum-ish

Post by Paul S »

I collected this in northeast Mexico a while back (Tamaulipas/Nuevo Leon borders), never had an ID for it. It is like a sedum, but not quite. Flowers are white but not open yet. I am away this week so might miss them, if not I'll update the post with pics when I get back if there is no joy by then. It is certainly tough, took this past winter and the cold one before that with no damage at all.
DSC_0032.JPG
DSC_0032.JPG (212.95 KiB) Viewed 2017 times
DSC_0033.JPG
DSC_0033.JPG (236.49 KiB) Viewed 2017 times
Paul S
Ready to Bolt

Re: ID please - something sedum-ish

Post by Paul S »

Had a suggestion elsehwere of Sedum griseum, which I think is correct :)
Tom in Tucson
Ready to Bolt
USDA Zone: 9b

Post by Tom in Tucson »

Paul S wrote: โ†‘Sun Mar 19, 2023 12:40 pm Had a suggestion elsehwere of Sedum griseum, which I think is correct :)
I agree that it's a Sedum, but the range of that species is too far southwest of your location, which is rather vague. The Tamaulipas/Nuevo Leon border extends from Laredo, TX to just west of Jaumave, Tamaulipas, which is several hundred miles. If the genus wasn't so damn big it would be easier to narrow down, not to mention that new species are discovered at an almost dizzying pace! I was just reading your posting on the BCSS forum, and the suggestion to contact Ray Stephenson is clearly your best bet.

Good luck, and be sure to let us know the answer to your mystery.
Casas Adobes, AZ
Paul S
Ready to Bolt

Post by Paul S »

Yes, I wasn't very specific ๐Ÿ˜Š It was along the old road southwest of Cd Victoria about half way to Jaumave. Nice round there, some lovely plants.

As an interesting aside, I also collected a dwarf form of Sedum palmeri not 100 yds from there. Ray Stephenson saw this in Guatemala, which is a bit further than Guanajuato ๐Ÿ˜Š
Tom in Tucson
Ready to Bolt

Post by Tom in Tucson »

Paul S wrote: โ†‘Sun Mar 19, 2023 1:49 pm Yes, I wasn't very specific ๐Ÿ˜Š It was along the old road southwest of Cd Victoria about half way to Jaumave. Nice round there, some lovely plants.

As an interesting aside, I also collected a dwarf form of Sedum palmeri not 100 yds from there. Ray Stephenson saw this in Guatemala, which is a bit further than Guanajuato ๐Ÿ˜Š
When I was doing a brief search for possible IDs, I noticed that S. palmeri has a huge range, but I didn't realize how large!

A somewhat less interesting aside: at one time I was a librarian at the San Diego cactus club, and myself and others frequently checked out Ray's book, so I didn't need to buy my own copy. I decided a few minutes ago to find out how much it sold for. Amazon had a new copy listed for a few hundred dollars, but an old library copy was just a few dollars. The shipping cost was higher than the book, but I went ahead and decided to add it to my own library.
Casas Adobes, AZ
Paul S
Ready to Bolt

Post by Paul S »

Here's the flower. As suggested I have emailed Ray Stephenson a couple of pictures and hope he doesn't mind compplete strangers clogging up his inbox.
IMG_20230330_141242 (3).jpg
IMG_20230330_141242 (3).jpg (234.92 KiB) Viewed 1938 times
Paul S
Ready to Bolt

Post by Paul S »

Ray Stephenson replied very promptly with the news that this is either a new species or new ssp of griseum. Marvellous! :D
Tom in Tucson
Ready to Bolt

Post by Tom in Tucson »

Paul S wrote: โ†‘Thu Mar 30, 2023 9:06 am Ray Stephenson replied very promptly with the news that this is either a new species or new ssp of griseum. Marvellous! :D
I just saw your post on the BCSS forum. I hope it's named in your honor or it's location (which you clarified).

BTW, the used copy of Ray's book arrived a few days ago. It is in good condition, and has several notes written by past library users. Thanks for piquing my interest.
Casas Adobes, AZ